Kylo Ren Soft Parts.

This thread is disappointingly dead. Anyone find anything out about coating the outer coat? Any more info on the mid coat fabric?

I'll be focusing some time on the inner fabrics next week now the outer fabric is on order i have a few swatches en-route the inner fabric shouldn't be too much of a challenge to locate i'm ering on the side of somthing like a heavy grade linen (obviosuly in black) the display costume has wearing on the edges of the pleats and it looks along the line of how linen wears and goes light on frictioned areas

5112WT2.jpg

I had seen a similar cotton linen at Joann's. I thought it looked great for the character, but the lack of reference for that mid coat had me second guessing, so I went a little safer. It's still 100% cotton, so I'll still be able to dye it. The goal was to have all cotton material so I could dye it together and have that uniform color. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

You can still dye linked I think

Yeah, I have done a bit more research on linen and it should be made of all natural materials which means it should take dye pretty well. I didn't have my previous material cut, I just bought what was left on the bolt so I'm hoping I can return it and get the linen instead.

I'm starting the first layer of my costume ,I've been looking at photos and think I can see stitch lines between the folds ,has anyone else seen this ,I've made a prototype and it seems to sit OK

I haven't started on any of my pieces yet. I am going to dye all of my fabrics together so I can achieve a consistent black throughout, then I will start with the bottom layer and work my way out. I have a shirt pattern for the under shirt. It's just a standard Scrubs pattern. I may alter the neck line a bit. The tricky part of course will be the sleeves. I am not going to have the body pleated at all on my under shirt, just the sleeves. I was able to return the fabric I had bought initially for the mid-coat, and get more of a linen material. I am definitely more happy with that. Once I have a few days off in a row I will begin the dye process and move forward from there. I still don't know about the gloss/ shine to the outer coat... I saw where someone was going to roll on ultra gloss screenprinting ink. Not sure how that would turn out, but it could work. Still searching for ideas on that aspect of it.

Shoulder seam looks good for the outer coat but it needs to be altered under the arm the whole looks a little larger and we can see some of the middle tunic through it

Are those pleats on the front? Looks to me like it's just bunched slightly from the belt, the reference shots don't show a pleat replicated on the other side. (Plus the Vanity Fair shots show a pretty straight front, but that might be just me).

Thank you for the tips, as well! I'll have to remember the raised seam, I'm butchering a Butterick men's robe pattern (6844) but haven't had time to cut into it.

View attachment 502425

Here's an updated image with some of my personal notes with the bottom actually attached from another angle with a comparison shot! My poor boyfriend didn't want me to post this (because of the pretty flower dress) but I need feedback! :p I agree to cut beneath the arm SLIGHTLY, maybe .5" I think any more than that will be excessive. And I think I need to raise the seam to around where I marked and take in the back of the shoulder. Does anyone else see any issues? I may add slightly deeper pleats on the front, I'm not 100% happy with the ones in the mockup.

Was this from a pattern or "freehand"?

I'm a total noob at sewing aside from a couple of pant modifications and drawstring backpacks so I'm nervous/excited to get this one started. That's a good idea to just use some cheap sheets or something to make the draft out of so I'll have to do that.

Can you recommend any tutorials, etc for the gathered/flat sections?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back