Kylo Ren Junk Saber Build

Saber came out too damn big. Take 2 is on the print bed now...

Beautiful job!.. To me your height seems correct. The width seems ever so slightly too wide... The top portion of the saber where the exposed wiring is seems slightly short... Here's a pic for you, I know the photos are not exactly 1 for 1, but it can help in the refinement.... Still, a super good looking saber build so far!
image.jpg

Beautiful job!.. To me your height seems correct. The width seems ever so slightly too wide... The top portion of the saber where the exposed wiring is seems slightly short... Here's a pic for you, I know the photos are not exactly 1 for 1, but it can help in the refinement.... Still, a super good looking saber build so far!
View attachment 472158

Definitely agree. Here is how it came out... a hair over 12" and around 1.75" in diameter. That is what it took to get an internal diameter of 1.25" and still maintain a durable wall thickness. Since these will be resin and we want them to be able to hold up to light-dueling or performances, structural integrity is a big deal to us. Ultimately, it was easy to tell it was too large (at least for normal-sized hands, Adam Driver is a lanky 6'3" so perhaps in his hands it looks more proportionate.

10985454_1620009474881953_8187090565039924465_n.jpg

Sooo... yeah, lol. Maybe the height is fairly close, but the width definitely is off. We are going to try again with it at a "strict" 1.5" diameter, which unfortunately will decrease the internal diameter down to slightly over 1", making electronics still possible... but a tight fit. We're not particularly happy about this, but it is what it is. :(

Definitely agree. Here is how it came out... a hair over 12" and around 1.75" in diameter. That is what it took to get an internal diameter of 1.25" and still maintain a durable wall thickness. Since these will be resin and we want them to be able to hold up to light-dueling or performances, structural integrity is a big deal to us. Ultimately, it was easy to tell it was too large (at least for normal-sized hands, Adam Driver is a lanky 6'3" so perhaps in his hands it looks more proportionate.

Sooo... yeah, lol. Maybe the height is fairly close, but the width definitely is off. We are going to try again with it at a "strict" 1.5" diameter, which unfortunately will decrease the internal diameter down to slightly over 1", making electronics still possible... but a tight fit. We're not particularly happy about this, but it is what it is. :(

Sorry it's such a pain...looks great though... I'm sure you will get it just right... Put me on your interested list, Thanks!

Have you thought about doing the top section in two parts? You can do the internal and use actual wires, then fit the cowling over it. It would help for the depth and detailing.

Top section is actually two parts, yup. There's an "emitter body" that slots into the "hull", if that makes sense.

I have seen a lot of people comparing this saber with Luke's (10.75"), but I think it is actually slightly larger (around 11.5"), as the blade is much larger in the footage we have seen, more European claymore than katana. It also looks a little taller in person, so I think the extra .75" is to compensate for the additional side emitters. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Sorry, had to wipe up the drool

View attachment 472241

I thought that this crossguard lightsaber should be bigger, you know, to hold it with both hands.

Sorry, I do not have better picture, but you can see it.

Sithinquisitor.jpg

well i went to 2 different lowes this weekend. i can't find the clip i was thinking of now... I'm still hunting

well i went to 2 different lowes this weekend. i can't find the clip i was thinking of now... I'm still hunting

I gave up and am just getting my friend who works in a machinery shop to fabricate them for me. Hopefully demand does not dwarf supply, haha.

UPDATE!

Got a much better sized saber printed out. I am very happy with the diameter (1.5"). Internal diameter is now a hair over 1" and it accepts 1" main blade and .75" side blades. Overall length is 11.5", which isn't nearly as long as it seems and makes it much more comfortable to wield two-handed if desired. It may still look a bit thick but it is the same width as the actual Graflex sabers and very comfy to hold. Here are some pics, including one with it beside it's Big Brother we printed yesterday:

10904435_10206451964048366_176072104393551369_o.jpg11185802_10206447857105695_1495558244_n.jpg11210323_10206447859145746_1065535980_n.jpg

I think the side emitters are just a tad too short, so I'm going to try reprinting them just a bit longer. I also think the bottom end should flare out a little more so I'm going to try reprinting that section a few mm's larger. Hopefully these are the last adjustments necessary and then I can move on to clean-up and post-processing.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back