TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

I saw and held the propstore graflex replica today at Harrods.
What a piece a junk! The grips were all warped, the red button is non functioning and the weathering was crude and didn't look anything like the hero on screen. The graflex looked like a true replica, no chance of mistaking it for a real one!
Anyway I tried to get some shots of the grip profile as best I could and the clamp card, which was yellowish translucent and seemed like it was gold etched.
The printed Kylo saber was cool - cold and heavy to the touch.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

What a piece a junk! The grips were all warped, the red button is non functioning and the weathering was crude and didn't look anything like the hero on screen. The graflex looked like a true replica, no chance of mistaking it for a real one!
Anyway I tried to get some shots of the grip profile as best I could and the clamp card, which was yellowish translucent and seemed like it was gold etched.
View attachment 655255View attachment 655256View attachment 655257View attachment 655258View attachment 655259View attachment 655260
Thanks for posting these! Luke: "What a piece of junk!" Han: "She may not look like much, bust she's got it where it counts."

View attachment 655255View attachment 655256View attachment 655257View attachment 655258View attachment 655259View attachment 655260

thank you for sharing... with a 1200 price tag... wow I was expecting a lot more craftsmanship then that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I did for my personal 2.0 is get one 3D printed in aluminium from Shapeways. Arrived in like a sparkly grey colour but after a bit of sanding and buffing, it didn't look too far off...

DSC_0002_zpshjeipigd.jpg

DSC_0003_zpskrst59qm.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsozdrlj7b.jpg

DSC_0006_zpsnac9qafp.jpg

DSC_0007_zpst0snrhsu.jpg

DSC_0001_zpsqeixafiv.jpg

Still needs a bit more sanding with a higher grit paper but I'm quite content with what I have finally!

Edit: I'm new here so still figuring out how to share photos properly. XD

Last edited:
View attachment 655466
Here is the 2.0 tab after it was flattened by a vice.
Looks great! Did you use the shapeways beer tab as well? Also, what blade holder are you using? I have been looking for a very accurate but minimal modification blade holder. I love the look of the gold band (probably has a better name), the groove between the pins, and the actual depth to the two black sockets on either side of the slotted screw. The 2.0 one is just flat. KR Sabers has a new one he told me would fit, but would need mods. I am even considering just waiting and getting Roman's replica.

Nope, that is the same beer tab that came with the 2.0, as is the blade holder. All I've added are the brass contacts, a screw for the slider tab, Graflex Shop glass eye that I sanded down, and replaced the hex screw above the glass eye with a slotted screw. One of these days I'll figure out a way to do that groove between the two pins, but for now I'm pretty much happy with it. (though have Roy's clear clamp card, kobold, and pommel cover on the way, then I'll be really happy with it, LOL!).

Were the grips rubber, as reported in the CineFx article about the Rey saber, or hard plastic as in ANH and ESB?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back