Hogwarts in my Home - Gryffindor Common Room in progress

lol! Will do - I won't let you down! ;)

seriously am challenged by this though, I mean, I have skills, but I've been painting digitally so long now that real paint feels so strange and unforgiving. I'm like a kid with crayolas!

Last edited:
grimstitch....long time no hear...i take it the holidays brought a halt to your projects?!?!
i was wondering how your painting was coming along?
i recently started my own young mcgonagall just after christmas.
first i found this cheapy frame with a picture of a mountain scene for a couple bucks:
ym1.JPG

then i grid on the mcgonagall and tossed on my rough sketch:
ym2.JPG

then just today i started color blocking:
ym3.JPG

tomorrow i hope to start the shading and layering more color.:cool

Grimstitch,
Wonderful work on your basement. I am amazed at the progress pictures and can't wait to see everything all done. The detail that you are putting into each item is amazing!!!

Ultraman,
Love your apartment!!! I hope you don't move too often. It looks like you have it down to a science though because your room looks awesome!! I almost expect to see Sirius' face in the fire and Dobby popping in with a stack of hats on his head :)

I have to say, all this is making my fingers itch. It's making me want to make something similar, sadly I have no space/room to make a gryffindor common room 8< What you have so far looks fab, totally fab. And I love everything! I can't wait to see it finished, I have a feeling it's going to be wicked! Well done!

come on grimstitch...i'm gonna be passing you up pretty soon lol

got a little more done today...tomorrow gonna work on more shading, highlights and things in the door's window...then put in the tree branches:ninja
ym4.JPG

well she's coming along nicely...a few more days of touch up on highlights and tightening up and i'll be working on weathering the frame next!:ninja
ym5.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

well i'm getting a little closer each day...today is day 4.
i'm starting the clean up and nit picking stage. today i added a little to the cat, cleaned up some details in the door, added an orange and yellow wash to the ground, muddied up the mortar between the bricks to take down some of that contrast in the background (which still needs some more love) and started nit picking washes on the dress colors and added high lights in the hat.
the painting is actually lighter in the picture then real life cuz the lighting sucks. but one day when its nice out i'll take it outside to take a pic....today is -8 degrees outside!
ym6.JPG

Ultraman,
Great going on the painting!!! I know you say you are at the nit picking stage but I think it's pretty perfect now :)

Grimstitch,
I understand about the holidays derailing the creative stuff. I'm on a bit of a hiatus myself. The project will seem all the more exciting after a bit of a break. I have a few projects calling to me as well. Hoping to start in the new year.

Mooniteman,
Thanks for the portrait references. They will definitely come in handy :)

Ultraman,
Great going on the painting!!! I know you say you are at the nit picking stage but I think it's pretty perfect now :)

lol thanks, but i think i still have a few more days to go on it! i hope to do some runs on hand painted hogwarts portraits soon....so i need to warm up a little. i use to do 10 or 20 paintings at the same time when i was doing commercial art for a restaurant chain 2 years ago but over the last year i been relaxing while i painting pin up girls on air planes so i get to take my time more.

this one should be pretty sweet when it's done....i hope to gold up the frame more and age it...then do a couple other secret cool ideas....watch for it!!!
-ultra

Any of you cats have an idea on how to get a large print of one of these tapestries?

There are HUGE scans and photos of the Common room tapestries online, and I got one on Amazon that covers my wall well enough, but I want to get a large print of the Unicorn in Captivity tapestry that hangs over the entrance to the common room. Any ideas?

Here is the image:

The_Unicorn_in_Captivity_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Woozlemom, oh yes! We had guests and I had to put everything I was working on into the storage space, it's killing me not to be able to tinker with it! :)

Ultraman, your version of the painting looks great! Tough act to follow now, lol, but I'll see what I can do. As expected, when I put it away, I was really struggling with painting her head. I think my proportions are a little off, despite the grid sketch. It's such an odd pose, easy for things to look "wrong".

Mooniteman, I think the suggestion earlier in this thread about printing the tapestries via a sign/banner company is probably a good one. The only reason I'm not taking that route is my budget vs the quantity and odd sizes of covering that I will need here.

Any of you cats have an idea on how to get a large print of one of these tapestries?
There are HUGE scans and photos of the Common room tapestries online, and I got one on Amazon that covers my wall well enough, but I want to get a large print of the Unicorn in Captivity tapestry that hangs over the entrance to the common room. Any ideas?

hay mooniteman there are a few places i can think of.....you'd have to find a vinyl sign maker shop, an architect business, or a land survey office. all three work with huge printers and are the only people i know that can print that big!
good luck!

Woozlemom, oh yes! We had guests and I had to put everything I was working on into the storage space, it's killing me not to be able to tinker with it!
smile.png

Ultraman, your version of the painting looks great! Tough act to follow now, lol, but I'll see what I can do. As expected, when I put it away, I was really struggling with painting her head. I think my proportions are a little off, despite the grid sketch. It's such an odd pose, easy for things to look "wrong".

Mooniteman, I think the suggestion earlier in this thread about printing the tapestries via a sign/banner company is probably a good one. The only reason I'm not taking that route is my budget vs the quantity and odd sizes of covering that I will need here.

grimstitch....i think you'll do fine!...you just gotta keep adding colors and fixing things that look wrong to you each day...then it turns out in the end! i still have things to work on with mine!
but i'm a bit of a perfectionist some times and want mine to come off as almost art forgery quality lol
i do agree with you on the wonky pose! i think this was student work...the composition is flat...the pose is super weak (notice no hands or feet to paint) and the face is at a profile not even 3 quarter turn, the door is out of perspective and the cat pose is almost clip art!
that being said it is hard to imitate this style for me because i have to "sloop it up" it a little to try and keep in this guys style.....and i'm using acrylic paint to imitate an oil painting.
that's why i'm using a lot of washes to get that "under paint" look.
don't give up i believe in you!!! and if it still turns out bad i could always sell you mine when i'm done lol:cool

hay mooniteman there are a few places i can think of.....you'd have to find a vinyl sign maker shop, an architect business, or a land survey office. all three work with huge printers and are the only people i know that can print that big!
good luck!

I actually just tried one over at Spoonflower. Biggest they will do is 58 x 36. I'm having them print the Unicorn in Captivity (modified slightly to fit the dimensions) Not Huge, but I'm hoping it will come out decent. 30ish dollars for a fabric print that size aint bad. We'll see what the actual outcome is though.

I actually just tried one over at Spoonflower. Biggest they will do is 58 x 36. I'm having them print the Unicorn in Captivity (modified slightly to fit the dimensions) Not Huge, but I'm hoping it will come out decent. 30ish dollars for a fabric print that size aint bad. We'll see what the actual outcome is though.

thats cool i hope it works out!
i was thinking of trying to stretch huge silk screens andy warhol style and maybe try and print huge ones this summer....cross your fingers!

Mooniteman,
I am a quilter and I have had friends use Spoonflower to print fabrics before and they have done a very nice job. I am very interested to see how they do on your order. Please post a picture if you could of your fabric when you get it :) I would love to see how it truned out and your take on it :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back