Star Trek Into Darkness (Post-release)

The Enterprise entering the atmosphere doesn't bother me. This one was built in Iowa, right? Since when have starships in Star Trek not been capable of entering atmospheres? It didn't even reconfigure wings or nacelles and sprout landing gear, because we all know that only smaller ships do that in Star Trek.

The underwater scenes are much more questionable, but at least Scotty acknowledges it first chance he gets. Still, I don't think it is that far-fetched. Even in space, the maneuvering we see these ships do at impulse speeds (approaching the speed of light) subjects the ship to far greater forces than water pressure at that depth. That's why they have to have structural integrity fields and inertial dampening technology, to hold the ship together against tremendous forces and keep the occupants from splattering into chunky red salsa on the bulkheads every time evasive maneuvers are ordered while travelling at incredible speed. Going underwater shouldn't be much of a problem.

Saw the movie tonight, and enjoyed it for what it was. It does look pretty great at times, and was a fun ride. There was plenty that the fan in me didn't care for, but I would still rank it above at least half of the previous movies, and I will almost certainly watch it again, and again.

I'm feeling a lot of frustration about it, though. Everything is hit-and-miss.

Those atmospheric and underwater shots are stunning. We can quibble about how realistic or in-character for the Trek universe they might be, but they are easily some of the best looking starship scenes we have yet seen.

I still feel like I haven't seen enough of the Vengeance to have a clear picture of it in my head, but it doesn't work for me. It seems poorly thought out, at least a few generations ahead of this time period, and it looks like they intentionally made it the darkest Federation ship ever to make it the obvious bad guy ship. Enterprise gets beat up by the big ugly black Enterprise.

The little Klingon D4 patrol ships were somewhat cool, but I don't feel like I got a good look at them. It felt like they were teasing with the Klingons. They only show the one with his helmet off, and he happens to be hairless and has piercings in his forehead ridges. You could see hair and beards hanging out under the helmets of other Klingons, though. With at least some facial hair, I think the look of these Klingons would work fine for me.

The warp core set was a much better use of location than the brewery used for engineering, but I was dissappointed to see them use the brewery again this time. After seeing how well the real-life experimental fusion reactor worked, the brewery looked even more out of place.

The lens flares were lessened, but they were still all over the place.

I liked Cumberbatch as a villain, but I wish he wasn't Kahn Noonien Singh. They could have made him one of the other 72 genetic supermen, named Kahn Nigel Smythe. In the real Trek universe, he was one of the guys who bit it on Ceti Alpha V.

Yes, with the continued inclusion of the brewery, the cool but huge warp core, and that new central circular multilevel hallway section the scale of the new ship continues to challenge sensibility when compared to shots of the bridge view screen and people standing inside.

Well, I've just got back from seeing it with the wife.

Now, Star Trek II is my favourite Trek movie and holds a very dear place in my heart, despite best efforts I had heard of similarities between TWOK and into Darkness . I deliberately held out from reading anything about this pre-release and the wife and I went into the cinema more or less as blind as we could, but I was still concerned that the film would annoy me by trying too hard to be like TWOK.

So, I have to say... I LOVED IT! It was a fantastic action film, great effects and some lovely character development. Even scenes that were direct copies of the originals still worked, making my wife tearful! As she's not a die hard trekkie, she's a great yardstick for seeing how people outside the Trek sphere observe the film - she loved it and that pleased me greatly as so did I.

As for science issues... I always assumed that the new ships were atmospheric capable and if it can fly in space and in the atmosphere I couldn't see why seawater would pose an issue for a short period. I suppose I bought into the whole 'Trek but different' thing. I'm glad I did, I can sit and watch my old trek blu-rays and then watch the new ones too... And I love them all.

Huzzah!

Now, someone make me a bitching Klingon helmet!

Last edited:
Watched it last wednesday, loved it, loved it, loved it!!!

For me Into Darkness was one darn impressive ride. Loved almost every element of the film, the stunning visuals, the story, the characters... One of the two things that bugged me just a little was that it was so überobvious how they would bring back Kirk in the end. (At least we won't get a "The Search For Kirk" next that way.)

TWOK is one of my two favorite Trek movies (not that hard to guess what the other one is...) and while the love for TWOK gives some fans a headache watching Into Darkness, I loved the alternate spin on things.

Still didn't like the new phasers, the brewery and not much of a fan of the new Enterprise design (really hoped it would be changed for the better at the end) to name a few minor things, but that didn't stop me already enjoying J.J.'s first take on Star Trek.

Still haven't lost enough weight to look cool in a Star Trek tunic, but at least that saves me the money I would have had to give Anovos for one of their excellent tunics :lol ... :unsure Am I just unable to find it or is there really no thread dedicated to the new phaser rifles? Like those much more than I do the phasers.

Too bad J.J. won't be doing a third one, or at least not till after he's done working for the evil empire of the mouse. Anyway, will try to watch Into Darkness again soon.

I could only think of one thing during the movie...what will they call the next film? The search for Kirk? I loved the role reversal they played out.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Well, I've just got back from seeing it with the wife.

Now, Star Trek II is my favourite Trek movie and holds a very dear place in my heart, despite best efforts I had heard of similarities between TWOK and into Darkness . I deliberately held out from reading anything about this pre-release and the wife and I went into the cinema more or less as blind as we could, but I was still concerned that the film would annoy me by trying too hard to be like TWOK.

So, I have to say... I LOVED IT! It was a fantastic action film, great effects and some lovely character development. Even scenes that were direct copies of the originals still worked, making my wife tearful! As she's not a die hard trekkie, she's a great yardstick for seeing how people outside the Trek sphere observe the film - she loved it and that pleased me greatly as so did I.

As for science issues... I always assumed that the new ships were atmospheric capable and if it can fly in space and in the atmosphere I couldn't see why seawater would pose an issue for a short period. I suppose I bought into the whole 'Trek but different' thing. I'm glad I did, I can sit and watch my old trek blu-rays and then watch the new ones too... And I love them all.

Huzzah!

Now, someone make me a bitching Klingon helmet!

Well said!

Some kind of cut-away cross-section of the new Enterprise would be nice, just to see how in theory all this stuff fits together.

It all fits in the same way 78 decks fit in the Enterprise A. Sci Fi ships often suffer from Jupiter 2 syndrome.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hWRG6Oar-aM[/video]

The Enterprise is a large ship, I'd have to watch that episode again, but I'm pretty sure they didn't actually enter atmo but entered the upper atmo.

Just watched Tommorrow is Yesterday

Spock:
"We are too low in the atmosphere to maintain this orbit".

Also, I don't think clouds form much higher than 20,000 feet.

Well, the moment you've all been waiting for has arrived. Before I begin, let me just start out by saying that this is a "Strike while the iron is hot" review so I'll do my best with what I've got.

I actually contemplated on watching the last movie just to get in the spirit of this reboot in hopes that maybe, just maybe this new one would make the last one better. After deciding to watch "The Best of Both Worlds" instead (I was in the mood to watch good Star Trek), I decided to walk into this new movie fresh, and let me tell you something. The first thought that jumped into my head after walking out of the theater was all those interviews with JJ Abrams insisting that this movie doesn't need the last one, and I now understand where he is coming from with that statement because Star Trek Into Darkness IS THE SAME FREAKING MOVIE as the last one. I cannot believe how much this film not only retreaded the same story points as the last one, but also reference it through dialogue.

• Kirk and Pike meet at a bar where Pike once again recruits Kirk. (Dialogue Reference)
  • Kirk gets in trouble with Starfleet, Pike makes him first officer, the bad guy does something bad to Pike so now Kirk assumes command.
  • Kirk (and now Uhura) must learn that Spock does indeed feel emotions even though they were convinced of that in the last movie. (Dialogue Reference)
  • Kirk and others need to dive outside of a ship to the enemy ship and hit a small target. (Dialogue Reference)
  • Nero targets Starfleet Headquarters in San Francisco, Khan targets Starfleet Headquarters in San Francisco.
  • Earth has a space station that disappears when the bad guy shows up. Worse here since there are ships still stationed there.
  • The film ends with the crew setting out into deep space "to seek out new life and new civilizations".

And that's not even counting the retreads of the original movies, including Spock's death from TWOK only this time being done by Kirk and being played safe from the get-go. Sure, Spock came back but at least it didn't happen until the end of the next movie, and even that came at a cost.

Now onto JJ's infamous box.

*takes mystery box, rips it open, sees contents*

I've gone on record saying that I had no problems with Khan being in this movie. None. I actually thought that was an interesting idea because this would be a much different Khan that we all know from "The Wrath of Khan". One who isn't driven to blind revenge. When they said he was an agent in Starfleet, this could have opened the doors to a lot of other potential things that the last Khan didn't have. After all, some of Khan's weaknesses that lead to his demise was his lack of both Starfleet and starship experience. This film takes that potential and completely squanders it, resorting instead into making Khan just another bad guy.

And like how Shinzon was to Picard, there is nothing about Benedict's Khan that is even remotely like the original. I was really hoping that this Khan would be the "anti-hero" of the story because of his simple need to start a new life for himself and his people. But instead of using that Khan, this film instead uses the psychopath, revenge drive Khan when there's not much of a reason for him to be that way. They even alter his very history to solidify his bad guy status by making him a war criminal and being banished out into space. A war criminal... And when Prime Spock is asked about Khan, he says that Khan wouldn't hesitate to kill every single member of the crew....

Space Seed said:
SCOTT: There were no massacres under his rule.
SPOCK: And as little freedom.
MCCOY: No wars until he was attacked.
SPOCK: Gentlemen....
KIRK: Mister Spock, you misunderstand us. We can be against him and admire him all at the same time.

And as for not hesitating to kill every single member of the crew....

Space Seed said:
KHAN: If you join me, Mister Spock, I will save his life.
*Spock refuses*
KHAN: If any one of you joins me, anyone! I'll let him live.
*no one answers*
KHAN: It's so useless!

You get my point. This didn't need to be Khan.

And as for that ending that promises that the Enterprise and crew are actually going somewhere in deep space away from Earth? Not buying it. This is the same exact set up that was made in the last movie, complete with the same voice over. I have a feeling that the Enterprise will be back at Earth just like it did in this movie. Because hey, When Damon Lindelof says "We wanted Earth to play a larger role in our movies", I think he'll apply that same reasoning for the next one.

That's all I have for now.

I didn't care for the last one at all. Thought J.J. Basically #$%^ on the series. but I have to say, while
not perfect, I was very entertained by this new one. Lots of action and decent effects. Lens flares were
not as harsh.

The only issue I has was the scaling of this ship. The saucer looks small, especially when you pan across
it to the bridge. Ship seems scaled similar to the Enterprise refit.

But the shots of them entering into the hatch on the secondary hull makes the ship look HUGE. There was
no constant to the scaling in the film.

I'd see it again though.

Wow, character disorder and a narcissit.

You're not making this a comfortable place for discussion Bryancd. I would appreciate it if you would refrain from making snide and derogative comments about me and simply stick with the film.

I swear the one of the "Phasers" looked an A LOT like the BSG pistol. Did anyone notice that?

The Scene with the Klingons. (who looked pretty cool!)

You're not making this a comfortable place for discussion Bryancd. I would appreciate it if you would refrain from making snide and derogative comments about me and simply stick with the film.

I agree, it is about the film and not about you despite your comment designed to make it all about you, but I digress...

Leaving your lead in aside, I agree the film certainly mimics the first in terms of the basic storyline. Kirk does end up in the usual debauchery of drink and women and is subsequently moved back to where he was in the '09 film. However I am willing to give them that as I think the screenplay and dialogue is much snappier then before, the banter plays better now that the characters are established. I found myself laughing at listening to the Kirk/Spock exchanges, especially the scene in Pike's office. These characters felt fresh and new while retaining some of what made TOS Trek so great from a character standpoint. I also think how one responds to these new movies is greatly dependent on if you consider this a total reboot, despite the efforts to tie parts of it to the past, or simply a new timeline. I see these films as the former and that informs my opinion and critique of them. As such, they are great fun with some TREK familiarities I can enjoy.

I've been a bad boy. I tried to find pics of the enterprise once it's restored to see if it's different or not but no luck yet lol

Well that's a let down. have to catch it on dvd. ticket prices are too high around here. I picked up the digital soundtrack and it's not bad, the composer sneaks in a lot of pieces of the older movie soundtracks. I'm wishing i'd gotten the playmates toy back in 2010 at the outlet store for 12.00 now that they want 30 for it again online.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back