Doc's foam/fiberglass work + Mark 42 painted pieces

Re: Doc's foam work + Closup of maticulous work I put in gloves to show no skin vid

Just as a heads up for people... if you can't - for whatever reason - find liquid electric tape by Gardner Bender (as I was unable to)...
... i took a shot with a product called Flex Seal... and spritzed it on the pieces a bit at a time and spread it smooth with a rubber spatula.

So far so good... and I'll soon post my own thread on the subject. =)

Re: Re: Doc's foam work + Closup of maticulous work I put in gloves to show no skin v

Just as a heads up for people... if you can't - for whatever reason - find liquid electric tape by Gardner Bender (as I was unable to)...
... i took a shot with a product called Flex Seal... and spritzed it on the pieces a bit at a time and spread it smooth with a rubber spatula.

So far so good... and I'll soon post my own thread on the subject. =)

I was wondering about Flex Seal and am interested to know how it turns out for you.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

Re: Doc's foam work + Closup of maticulous work I put in gloves to show no skin vid

That happens when somthing went wrong with sealin,coating or painting process that it didnt bond. What exactly lifted off just the paint? If ua follow exaclty my steps and labels on products you wont have that problen again. I tape and nothing at all lifts even with crappy tape that was like superglued on lol but try this tape it will give ya sharp lines and the adhesive strength is low so its very easy to pull off. So look at label of tape to make sure it say low adhesion strength. Also let paint dry atleast 24hrs before taping. Goodluck

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. It was just the paint that lifted. This was also before i came across this thread and saw your painting and sealing tips. That is also the tape that i used.

Re: Doc's foam work

Very cool you did it exactly:thumbsup, also just saw yr 3 point leg vid now that is cool if ya dont mind I may borrow that Idea and if course credit ya:D

sure you may :thumbsup that's why i shared it to you guys, even though i haven't tried it on other IM models but i think it can be applied to a warmachine and a mark 7 suits

Hey Doc. Almost done coating entire suit with LET--holding off on the gloves until I finish the fingers so I can connect the fingers and attach them to the gloves and coat them with LET after they are fully assembled. I have a couple of questions about your AWESOME gloves. I see you used split loom tubing on the bottom of the fingers, but what did you use on the top--elastic hot glued to finger pieces? Are the finger pieces attached together just with the tubing or does the stuff on the top also keep them together? And how did you attach fingers to the glove itself? What about your hand plate articulation. Did you use a hinge or elastic. I messed around with the hand plates to articulate them and finally gave up in frustration.

I have a question about rondo on foam? I use 3mm foamies for most of my Mark42 parts and want to add rondo to the inside to make it hard. Do I need to seal it with diluted glue first? or will rondo stick to it without sealing the inside first?

Hey doc. Was at the dollar store today to buy hot glue and noticed these placemats made from 3mm foam and coated with a thin plastic. I got a few to see how well paint sticks to the plastic side and how good they are to work with. Fingers crossed because if it works it means we could probably skip the heat sealing and mod-podge steps. Here's a picture.
BEFF3B23-ACA3-4E5B-A4A7-CDC0AB751589-10055-000008343CABB6B2_zpsdb435648.jpg

I read about another guy that was using basketball court foam. It is like the thicker stuff you see for your workshop but it has a similar coated surface made to look like a basketball court floor. He said it worked great.

Started a new chest piece with it tonight and it is working great so far. The plastic covering makes it a bit more sturdy than foam alone.

I will try to find out if my silhouette cameo would be able to make good score marks on it (or maybe even cut through it) That would be awesome and save lots of time. Will keep you all posted.

I have a question about rondo on foam? I use 3mm foamies for most of my Mark42 parts and want to add rondo to the inside to make it hard. Do I need to seal it with diluted glue first? or will rondo stick to it without sealing the inside first?

Yes it has to be sealed. I would spray a light coat of primer to make sure it has a good bond.

Started a new chest piece with it tonight and it is working great so far. The plastic covering makes it a bit more sturdy than foam alone.

I will try to find out if my silhouette cameo would be able to make good score marks on it (or maybe even cut through it) That would be awesome and save lots of time. Will keep you all posted.

Its awesome when I see members getting creative and trying out different ways of building. Very cool dude and hope it works out. Let me know:thumbsup

Hey doc. Was at the dollar store today to buy hot glue and noticed these placemats made from 3mm foam and coated with a thin plastic. I got a few to see how well paint sticks to the plastic side and how good they are to work with. Fingers crossed because if it works it means we could probably skip the heat sealing and mod-podge steps. Here's a picture.
BEFF3B23-ACA3-4E5B-A4A7-CDC0AB751589-10055-000008343CABB6B2_zpsdb435648.jpg

awesome spot there I am iterested to see how this works out:)

Thinking after my current build on my mark 6. Ill be attempting to make a crossover of Iron Man and Batman
new-idea-batman-iron-man-crossover-building-iron-bat2.jpg-76775d1323053548
Im lovin the cowl/helmet and the unibeam but I think Ill be doing it with either a mark 6 or 7 instead of a mark 3

Well here's the flower version.
I dont want to hijack this thread so I'll start my own. But Doc, these foam placemats work great so far.
519F0052-E593-499A-A17E-77B45E262D45-12499-00000AA567E48632_zps13648486.jpg

lol I dont mind dude, looks purty reminds me of thanksgiving for some reason :lol ok all joking aside it does look very clean dude, glad it worked out now time to test paint:)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back