Stormtrooper Oddities

Hi to everyone who went to celebration europe and here's one for all you tk no stripe fans :cheers

After the official opening ceremony they played Star Wars outside on the big screen and i got a shot of the top trooper himself :thumbsup

CelebrationEurope12-15July2007144.jpg

Check out this pic of the Stormtrooper costume from the 'ANH studio promo pics' and used for the cardboard standee :

promo_trooper.jpg

He has a 'right hand' hand-guard on his left hand! If it was a 'left hand-guard' then it would have a point where the wearer's thumb is, but it looks like the costume department glued a 'righty' onto a 'lefty' glove :wacko

I've heard of 'two left feet' but 'two right hands' is ridiculous! (sorry guys... I'm on my 3rd Corona :lol )

Cheers,
John

I've been dying for a reason to resurrect this cool thread... :love

I was watching ANH tonight again when I spotted something.... when Luke and Han lure the 2 Stormtroopers up the ramp into the Falcon, in the Death Star Docking Bay.
Well I guess it was pure luck that Luke ended up with the non-standard utility belt, complete with grappling hook etc.
He and Leia would've been screwed if he had ended up with a standard Stormtrooper belt (sans grappling hook), whenever it came to the swing across the unextended bridge

Of course this is old news to most Stormtrooper nuts, and therefore not the point of my post.... which is, the plastic portion of Luke's trooper belt only has 2 rivet covers, not 3 like all the others. I've no screengrab to post at the mo' but it's true - there is no rivet-cover in the centre of the belt, and therefore no rivet securing the belt onto the canvas beneath.
Best place to see this is when he has entered Leia's cell and is standing, dumbstruck by her beauty! :love:sick

And Han's stormtrooper belt is missing the centre rivet cover for several shots during the Death Star control room scene... you can clearly see a rivet underneath ;)

Oh, and Han and Luke's belts both have 4 rivets securing the holster to the belt... whereas the real troopers only have 2 rivets per belt (one for each strap of the holster)

I know I'm scraping the barrel here guys, but let's keep this thread going a while longer if we can.... :) I used to visit this thread daily whenever it was active :thumbsup

Cheers,
John

One of my all time favorite threads as well!

The wierdest thing to me about that scene (and believe it or not I noticed the helmet diff when I was a kid) is that the guy has Lukes belt and whatnot but a stunt helmet? seems as though switching helmets would be easier than belts... I never understood why the 2 gaurds didnt have hero helmets especially since they kinda get closeups. :confused

The last time I watched ANH I pointed this out to a few friends who "love" SW and they replied... yeah , so? :unsure

Thanks guys, had fun waundering through this thread for like an hour:lol Cool pics and some shots I had never seen before, very cool stuff, thanks for sharing.:thumbsup

Here's a couple more I don't think have been mentioned yet here.

Another upside down hand plate armor here..

..and it looks like some more gaffer tape, this time it's strapping together the chest and back armor.

I love how it looks like the guard in the back is looking straight at the camera too.

Alright, here's one. Ever notice how much make up Harrison has smeared on his chest armor just before they jump down into the trash compactor?

Interesting. I think Luke may have some on his shoulder connectors because they appear to be discolored at times. Here's an interesting picture from the Vault book. I like it because it is has another view of the Rexim and the elusive scope. :)

tktshirt.jpg

This has been the most fun, eye opening, light hearted and informative threads i've ever had the pleasure to trawl through on any costuming forum.
brilliant.
i know this was originally posted some time ago but it never really got answered

What the heck does the guy on the right have tucked into his codpiece?

stripe.jpg

apart from lucky strikes.
Could this be something to do with the squibs? Looks like some sort of wire connection box used for the firing of squibs and he has just been......erm......squibbed.

Any more oddities do we think.
i'm sure there is a rubber legged stormtrooper in ESB. where Lando leia chewie and the droids are on the landing platform and Mr TK does one of the best "oh, i'm shot" stumbles. he appears to have silly thigh pieces.

I believe thats one of the straps that connect the chest plate to the ab plate. IMO it most likely snapped off the chest and is hanging freely form the ab/or was left un-attached for the stunt work in that scene.

The same strap can be seen when Han/Luke take off their garb after the trash compactor.

...or part of the garter (well, that's what it is!) holding up the thigh plate.

But the squib theory is certainly possible. Could be gaffer tape holding down a wire.

Most likely a strap as Fon suggest's. I see no reason for squib to be placed in his gonads:lol

You will notice on the same trooper (Peter Diamond?) that he has a squib or some kind of padding on his left shoulder. The same suit/person is seen in the docking bay and falls into the lift shaft.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back