Nerf Gun Props? YES!

If you dont know who that guy is, the rest of the rpf will gather the pitchforks..:eek

:eek Let's just pretend I never said that then ok :lol

Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob to props and it's lineage. I only started last year by making Tron costumes for me and the wife, and it kind of spirelled from there. It's sad I know, but I'm having a whale of a time finding and learning from some of the amazing artists in this field.

Hi IronFett

Got some latex :thumbsup I got fluorescent orenge as it won't get lost on any of the colours I'd use. I figured it would be harder to try and get the edges right if the latex was too close in colour to paint job I was working on.

When you say light dustings, is this in terms of spray speed (i.e lightly pressed nozzle) or distance from object?

Making something plastic look rusty is a true art and I've seen some great examples on this forum.

I did a bit of googeling and I found this looking up rust effect:

Gold Leaf Supplies : For all your gold leaf, silver leaf and gilding supplies

It's called rust patina. It comes as an iron rich paint and a seperate oxidising agent. I'd also get the sealing agent so you can stop the rusting at just the right point. I can't wait to try out mine, I just ordered some as its perfect for a seperate project I'm working on :)

Another way of weathering, specifically to create rubbed off areas as opposed to chipped, is to carefully sand away the top coat with a very fine grained sandpaper or 0000 steel wool. You just sand away with a light touch and before long you'll have sanded away the top coat of paint to reveal the base coat. I'd give some thought to wear to apply this technique to since not all areas will have had the paint/bluing rubbed off, this generally happens in areas that are touched/manipulated a lot. On a rifle this would be the trigger, around the edges of a pistol grip on a modern assault type rifle, charging handle or bolt, safety, mag release, and sometimes at the edges of the muzzle. On a (automatic) pistol you'll see wear on the trigger, mag release, slide release, hammer release (if present), edges of the muzzle, rear of the slide where you'd grip it to cock the pistol and occasionally around the top depending on how you grip the pistol to cock it.

To get a good idea of where a top coat typically wears off on a gun I'd look at pictures of old guns, look at a bunch of them and you'll start to get a good idea of where this sort of weathering occurs. Combined with the latex mask method you'll have a very realistically weathered look to your gun since not all areas chip off and not all areas simply wear off either. Also keep in mind that raised surfaces and edges wear/chip the most and are often the first areas to show weathering.

Wow you guys are rocking it with these mods. I've not been back to this thread for some time, but I'm glad I popped by today.

Canobi, The Pug is great. I love it when people use bits and pieces for their mods. Oh and on a side note, the kid in the photo is gorgeous, so cute!! I love how he has a Star Wars hoody on.. well trained ;p As for what you said about prep, it's the worst part isn't it, it takes ages, but worth it I guess.

Anyways just wanted to say hey and that I'm loving the updates here. I really should check in more often.

Wow you guys are rocking it with these mods. I've not been back to this thread for some time, but I'm glad I popped by today.

Canobi, The Pug is great. I love it when people use bits and pieces for their mods. Oh and on a side note, the kid in the photo is gorgeous, so cute!! I love how he has a Star Wars hoody on.. well trained ;p As for what you said about prep, it's the worst part isn't it, it takes ages, but worth it I guess.

Anyways just wanted to say hey and that I'm loving the updates here. I really should check in more often.

Thanks Nerfenstien, I'm pleased with how the Pug turned out :)

The kid in the pic is one of mine. Well trained indeed, all of them are starwars fans (the boys have Cody and Rex costumes and are frequently on missions saving the galaxy). My doughter is only 1.3/4 and looks mega cute in her leia costume.

I'm doing up my oldests recon at the moment. I bought a scope and I'm going to make a rig that goes above the cocking machanism for the scope to sit on, but still have enough room for your hand to prime the gun (a kind of take on the upper green part of the pulse rifle). I've also given his a new barrel and made a silencer. I'll put up some pics when I've made a bit more headway on it, just hoping the weather holds up.

decided to tackle another one of these, im trying not to get in the habit of painting these but i figure more practice is good. anyways my kid brother is a huge mass effect fan so i painted this up. Inspired by volpins personal n7.

58294d5b.jpg
de4e6c88.jpg
c7dfab4d.jpg
58d7e4e4.jpg
6b2f6528.jpg

hope you guys like it!

Very nice job IronFett, I like the new part on the stock :thumbsup. What is that, MDF?

Here's a few crummy pics of my eldest's recon (sorry, I don't have a decent camera)

7151e0d4.jpg

cecd425b.jpg

ccd1e39d.jpg

A close up of the new switch on the laser sight
2895f83e.jpg

I'm still working out the scope mount for it, but I'm pleased with how it's turned out so far.

I'm just finishing up a maverick (pics to follow), and then it's on to my first true commission, a stampede (in digital urbane camo). I shall be pulling out all the weathering tricks I've learned from you guys for this one as its for a collector, but I'm a bit nervous to be honest and I'm praying I'm not too out of my depth :confused I hope you don't mind me asking more questions about your weathering techniques as I go guys?

wow, amazing work on all fronts! i've been modding nerf for a while now, but i haven't tackled paint jobs yet. i have one maverick in particular that i want to look like it's been through a war and then found its way into the business end of a wood chipper for a while, so these techniques will really help!

I used the scope from the element I bought to finish the recon desert sniper with:

87e9f8e7.jpg

0f0bd056.jpg

My eldest liked the Element scope better than the one I bought initially, so I came up with this idea for the Pug:

4b942cdc.jpg

acf94f20.jpg

I think the thing that the scope is attached to was part of some packedging to hold a toy in place (if memory serves me right...). It's not attached yet, but if my kid likes it I'll paint and fix it on this week.

I'm going to use some of the great techniques I've learned from this thread to distress it a bit. It was also pointed out to me (by it's observant young owner), that I left the logos off. If anyone has a good high rez image of the N7 logo I could use, he would be most greatful.

Last edited:
Hey guys

I'm really glad to see some discussions on here concerning the weathering and other tips, I know I've not been able to post much here lately. A lot of this has been do to some work that I've been asked to do, but don't get the opportunity to actually share with everyone. Good stuff to be sure, but not for anyone coming to this thread for new pictures!

So thank you all for picking up the slack and sharing your awesome work. It's been great to check out stuff that's not my own, hehe.

Keep up the great work and I'll have some more photos shortly of the things I've been able to work on in my spare time. I hope it will still be up to snuff :)

Brian
Johnson Arms Replicas and Props

A few new things that have been commissioned recently. And a Steampunk Grenade lol

Said grenade
IMG_8715.jpg

IMG_8716.jpg

Urban Tagger themed Vigilon. urbantaggers.blogspot.com Awesome site for Nerf
IMG_8722.jpg

Unfinished Dieselpunk Pistol. I like the grips on this one already
IMG_8725.jpg

IMG_8730.jpg

Gold nuggets I was thinking about throwing in order boxes. No idea why, but I keep making them with excess epoxy and I gotta do something with them, hehe
IMG_8731.jpg

Space Marine Nerf Element
IMG_8736.jpg

Maybe space pirate gold?
IMG_8743.jpg

Detail shot on the element. I love the little scratches, personally.
FineDetailsElement1.jpg

Ok, more soon, promise. I'll make it my May Resolution :)

Last edited:
A few new things that have been commissioned recently.

Unfinished Dieselpunk Pistol. I like the grips on this one already
IMG_8725.jpg

IMG_8730.jpg

IMG_8730.jpg

Ok, more soon, promise. I'll make it my May Resolution :)

That's an automag. I'd like to know where you got it, as I"d like one for something I'm working on.

Solo, I really like those water pistol blasters. Nice work.

They're pretty good sculpts, too.

Some of these sculptors must be heartbroken to see their designs end up in ultra-crappy $1 toys, complete with misaligned seams and lurid, engrish packaging.

Hey guys

I'm really glad to see some discussions on here concerning the weathering and other tips, I know I've not been able to post much here lately. A lot of this has been do to some work that I've been asked to do, but don't get the opportunity to actually share with everyone. Good stuff to be sure, but not for anyone coming to this thread for new pictures!

So thank you all for picking up the slack and sharing your awesome work. It's been great to check out stuff that's not my own, hehe.

Keep up the great work and I'll have some more photos shortly of the things I've been able to work on in my spare time. I hope it will still be up to snuff :)

Brian
Johnson Arms Replicas and Props

Hi JA

I'm lovin' this thread too much to let it fizzle, pics or no. I'm glad you like the work we've all put up so far, there are some real good ones.

The pug has gone through a few changes and I'm just painting the laser sight for it prior to modding (the laser mod will be internal so won't effect the paintwork).

Pics to follow too ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back