Star Trek Beyond

... I don't have a problem with the design of the NX-01, but I do agree with the people who believe it shouldn't have looked more advanced than the Original Series' ships. ...

If you make a new show and want to sell it to the people successfully, you can't let it look like a 60s show or even older. This includes ship design and technology, of course.

I'm sure someone somewhere who is/was responsible for maintaining the Star Trek universe has explained the similarities by saying, "Oh, the Akira class was based on the NX-01, not the other way around," regardless of their origins in real-world chronology. I don't have a problem with the design of the NX-01, but I do agree with the people who believe it shouldn't have looked more advanced than the Original Series' ships. That being said, I wish either Enterprise would have had a fifth season, or that they would have introduced the NX-01 Refit before the series ended just to show some progress towards the Constitution class.

Which would make no sense since nobody bases designs of warships, tanks, or warplanes on designs from generations ago, in this case, well over 100 years ago. It would be like the USN deciding to base the replacement carrier for the Ford class on one of the pre-WW II designs, conventional ships with a flight deck slapped on top of them. Or basing our 6th generation fighter on the Sopwith Camel because it served us so well during WW I. Nobody in the military weapons industry produces new designs based on old designs, retro is just not a concept adopted by the world's militaries or even by para-military institutions.

Which would make no sense since nobody bases designs of warships, tanks, or warplanes on designs from generations ago, in this case, well over 100 years ago. It would be like the USN deciding to base the replacement carrier for the Ford class on one of the pre-WW II designs, conventional ships with a flight deck slapped on top of them. Or basing our 6th generation fighter on the Sopwith Camel because it served us so well during WW I. Nobody in the military weapons industry produces new designs based on old designs, retro is just not a concept adopted by the world's militaries or even by para-military institutions.

It can be if enough time passes in relation to the story, and technology is lost etc - I'm not quite certain on the time passage within Trek though?

For instance, in 40k, one of the more interesting things to me is that all the best technology is in the past from the current characters persectives. They literally don't have the means/technology or memories to create the great weaponry/warships that they once built etc.

Solidly in the "not going to see it" camp still. Hopefully enough people feel the same and put this Frankenstein to an end.

This is definitely not going to happen. Star Trek movies are not action adventure romps while the TV series will be more grounded.

If you make a new show and want to sell it to the people successfully, you can't let it look like a 60s show or even older. This includes ship design and technology, of course.
I don't disagree, but there should be some sense of continuity within the fictional timeline and the NX-01 looked far more Next Generation era than Original Series era.

I don't disagree, but there should be some sense of continuity within the fictional timeline and the NX-01 looked far more Next Generation era than Original Series era.

Both of them, ST:E and TNG are shows from the post-Star-Wars era, TOS isn't. Star Wars has set completely new and very high standards for movies and tv-shows and I guess it's difficult to take a step back.

It is, yeah, but I still think that the post-Star Wars TV shows had a distinctly "Trek" quality to them, as did the films. And let's not forget that TWOK came out after Star Wars and is pretty much regarded as the best Trek film of them all (I categorically reject the suggestion that Star Trek Saves the Whales is worth considering). It's not that you can't do good Trek post-Star Wars, but rather that I don't think you can do 1960s Trek post-Star Wars.

Although, for those with a hankering for such a thing, I recommend picking up the two Interplay Star Trek adventure games on GOG.com.

(I categorically reject the suggestion that Star Trek Saves the Whales is worth considering)

What? Why? It may not be the best Star Trek film of the lot, but it was certainly one of the more successful films in the series. Plus it gave series a much needed break from all that heavy drama from the last two movies. If you want to talk about rejecting bad Trek, just set your sights towards Star Trek V. It's the only TOS movie where saying it never happened actually makes the movie series better.

It is, yeah, but I still think that the post-Star Wars TV shows had a distinctly "Trek" quality to them, as did the films. And let's not forget that TWOK came out after Star Wars and is pretty much regarded as the best Trek film of them all (I categorically reject the suggestion that Star Trek Saves the Whales is worth considering). It's not that you can't do good Trek post-Star Wars, but rather that I don't think you can do 1960s Trek post-Star Wars.

Although, for those with a hankering for such a thing, I recommend picking up the two Interplay Star Trek adventure games on GOG.com.

The sad thing is that they have Starfleet Command but there's compatibility issues with Windows 10, which sucks because along with X-Wing Starfleet Command was one of my all time favorite games from way back when.

The sad thing is that they have Starfleet Command but there's compatibility issues with Windows 10, which sucks because along with X-Wing Starfleet Command was one of my all time favorite games from way back when.

I'm still on Win7, so no problems for me! I doubt I'll upgrade my current rig to Win10, and will likely just end up buying a new rig that has it on it already.

I'm still on Win7, so no problems for me! I doubt I'll upgrade my current rig to Win10, and will likely just end up buying a new rig that has it on it already.

Sad thing is, there's issues with game on Win 7 as well. It seems that it starts up and then promptly crashes.

What? Why? It may not be the best Star Trek film of the lot, but it was certainly one of the more successful films in the series. Plus it gave series a much needed break from all that heavy drama from the last two movies. If you want to talk about rejecting bad Trek, just set your sights towards Star Trek V. It's the only TOS movie where saying it never happened actually makes the movie series better.

I'm more commenting on the fact that some people say ST4 is the best one. It isn't. Not by a long shot. It is, in my opinion, BARELY a Trek film. It's entertaining, sure, but it's not really what I consider a film that embodies the spirit of Trek or best represents what Trek is.

I'm more commenting on the fact that some people say ST4 is the best one. It isn't. Not by a long shot. It is, in my opinion, BARELY a Trek film. It's entertaining, sure, but it's not really what I consider a film that embodies the spirit of Trek or best represents what Trek is.

Its a romp. :)

It is and was PURE NIMOY, with elements that were dear to his heart, that and it brought a LOT of people who were non-trek fans into the fold, for better or worse.

Very true. And it's a fun movie. But it's not really "Trek" the way I think of Trek, except insofar as it has characters from the series in a "fish out of water" experience.

It is and was PURE NIMOY, with elements that were dear to his heart, that and it brought a LOT of people who were non-trek fans into the fold, for better or worse.
Yeah, with fun, adventure, a real team/family atmosphere and something for pretty much all of the main cast to do. Now compare and contrast with the pure Shatner of Star Trek V... Dark, brooding, slow and plodding yet rushed at the end, gratuitous cat-woman, Sulu and Checkov reduced to comedy sidekicks and let's all laugh as Scotty is so stupid he walks into a conduit. At least it had the "not in front of the Klingons".

Both of them, ST:E and TNG are shows from the post-Star-Wars era, TOS isn't. Star Wars has set completely new and very high standards for movies and tv-shows and I guess it's difficult to take a step back.
Again, I don't disagree. Most entertainment media becomes a product of the era in which it's produced, and brightly colored uniforms and go-go dancer boots would not have gone over well in the new millennium.

Also, I'm sure the people who produced Enterprise had HD television in mind. It's *one of the reasons the Original Series was remastered--they felt the Enterprise was too "plain" for HD TV. So, with that in mind, they "jazzed up" the NX-01 to make it more visually interesting.

*They also knew the flaws in the original special effects would stand out even more, but that's not directly relevant to this discussion.

Question. Should everything in Star Trek be made to reflect the 'spirit' at what Star Trek represents? Personally, I don't think that's such a good idea because A- what qualifies as a true Star Trek product is subjective and B- doing the same thing over and over again can get very boring. Star Trek IV works more for me because it takes a break from all that. It doesn't mitigate the drama that came before such as dealing with a resurrected Spock and the crew facing the consequences of mutiny. All the humor comes naturally from our heroes dealing with a world that they're not accustomed to.

Now, If you want a Star Trek product that really doesn't have anything to do with Star Trek, check out the original series Season 2 final "Assignment: Earth". Brought to you by Star Trek's creator Gene Roddenberry.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back