Cyberman in FOAM!!! - WITH PATTERNS!!

I'm hooked on Foam Building now. My Diving Helmet was a hit for Halloween. I'm ready to start a more serious piece now.

- - - Updated - - -

I need to try layering some pieces. You make it look so easy.

Oh my lord. I had no intention of ever making Cybermen but my gosh, your work is so wonderful! Maybe one day after I get the basic skills down with EVA foam I'll make a "Cyberwoman". :)

Would you believe me if I told you this is my first build with EVA foam.Never used it before starting this. I started with the boots and worked up from there. My skill level and confidence rose as I got further into the build. I still have a bit of finishing to do before I seal it for painting.I would at this point like to thank Wondersquid for making these patterns available for us to use.

I love this. Anyone know where in the UK to get some good foam to make this. I used cheap camping mats before but they cut bad and are not very good. Thanks.

I think the scaling issues will always be a matter of adjusting the actual patterns. You can only scale so much before its too small for your limbs to fit through. I wish I could say there is a magic formula, but when I scale pepakura, I scale every piece individually of the others. And this isn't pepakura at all, lol. Best suggestion? Maybe cut sections out of the middle of limbs? Loss a row of plating from the chest? Ultimately anything you do will have an effect on the design, but remember, you're doing this for fun.

this is going to be my first cosplay project. ive already downloaded the pattern but how do i scale it to my height. im 5'4"

I would do each piece one by one and transfer the pattern on to butcher's paper and check the sizing so that way you aren't cutting up foam pieces that won't fit.

My first real suit build. Getting there.

chest-02.jpg

UPDATE! - Finished the suit! Had an Event and had to quickly get the parts together. I realized I have to do some more adjustments, but I have time now to refine.

Cyberman 2013 final1 by Mal Keller, on Flickr

Now for the rest of the build stuff, enjoy!

The forearms getting their coating, found this wonderful stuff that coats and colors in one coat. My wife says we should sell it, what do you think?
Cyberman 2013 Forearms 1 by Mal Keller, on Flickr
With airbrushed color.
Cyberman 2013 Forearms 2 by Mal Keller, on Flickr

Chest getting built, went thru some modifications on sizing. Still have to refine this more.
Cyberman 2013 Chest 1 by Mal Keller, on Flickr
Cyberman 2013 Chest 2 by Mal Keller, on Flickr
Cyberman 2013 Chest 3 by Mal Keller, on Flickr
Cyberman 2013 Chest 4 by Mal Keller, on Flickr
Cyberman 2013 Chest 5 by Mal Keller, on Flickr

Now the feet, made the base in a softer grey foam, then covewred with a harder, denser white foam for strength.

Cyberman 2013 Feet 1 by Mal Keller, on Flickr
Cyberman 2013 Feet 2 by Mal Keller, on Flickr
Cyberman 2013 Feet 3 by Mal Keller, on Flickr
Cyberman 2013 Feet 6 by Mal Keller, on Flickr

Hands! Again built over a garden glove and very time consuming!
Cyberman 2013 Hands 1 by Mal Keller, on Flickr
Cyberman 2013 Hands 2 by Mal Keller, on Flickr
Cyberman 2013 Hands 3 by Mal Keller, on Flickr
Cyberman 2013 Hands 4 by Mal Keller, on Flickr
Cyberman 2013 Hands 5 by Mal Keller, on Flickr
Cyberman 2013 Hands 6 by Mal Keller, on Flickr

Finally the Stomach and Butt, oversized to fit my fat butt!
Cyberman 2013 Stomach 1 by Mal Keller, on Flickr
Cyberman 2013 Butt 1 by Mal Keller, on Flickr

Parts in final painting.
Cyberman 2013 Parts 2 by Mal Keller, on Flickr

As far as Patterns, I'm really scared to post these, if you had trouble with the Last Cyberman, this one is literally a NIghtmare (in silver). Ill post them as soon as I can, but I really want to charge a fee, these were the hardest patterns I've done in a while. What say you all? Keep the donation or charge a fee?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back