Anovos Stormtrooper.... thoughts?

you obviouly don't know much about vaccumforming process, the molds have nothing to do with it, aluminum is made to produce thousands of pulls without getting damaged.

Never said I was an expert all I was comparing was this type of stuff you people do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CccX4xthM8U compared to what anovos is doing by milling it in aluminum as a possibility to why the pulls are sharper. hence the last statement as speculation.. Butt maybe producing armor with a wooden form an oven and a shopvac is capable of sharp edges the same as using a $300K vacuum former and aluminum molds

Last edited:
for the trained eyes Anovos will stand out like a sour thumb next to a accurate fan made ones.

Well, better looking can be a hard job. :lol

I have never spend money on a TK armor as i always thought they look ****, not worth the requested money. For 350 i thought i can live with that crappy look - and now it seems to be delivered with a way better look like that what was offered before. :cool:thumbsup

you obviouly don't know much about vaccumforming process, the molds have nothing to do with it, aluminum is made to produce thousands of pulls without getting damaged.

Well since you know so much about what Anovos is doing wrong. Get off your preachers podium, get to work and offer us something better for $350 including all the soft parts.

What did you expect. Every single kit has elements that are not screen accurate. If you hold anyone of them up to the level of scrutiny your holding Anovos to they would all be ripped apart by someone like yourself.

You aren't comparing apples to apples. How much is an RS Kit with all the goodies $350?...I didn't think so.

Maybe later today I'll drive by the BMW dealership with Ford Fiesta money in my pocket and see if I can get everything I expect and someone to wash it on the weekends.

Gimmie a break. I am more than pleased to be receiving this armor. Gonna be proud to wear it. And when the first jack leg that walks up to me and scoffs at me for sticking out like a "SOUR thumb" I'll know he totally misses the point of costuming.

one last thought. are we trying to match a film to the "T" or an idea of the storm trooper from an legion? if the legion was real and they where mass producing them for there army would there not be variations over time from different manufacturing assemblies? wouldn't it be more probable that they would be slight differences? I mean look at the differences between the 3 movies... so in theory the 501 should except these minor differences as being Cannon.. Look at the clone troopers they fully customize themselves to distinguish there own personalities.

Hhaha we should totally create a new legion for clone troopers with no restrictions on costumes. The kids relate to them more now anyways. the storm trooper is all but dead except from the old farts..

Last edited:
I'm very interested to see what the stormtroopers will look like from the new Rogue One movie coming out in Dec 2016.
If the logic from all these "Screen Accurate" purists prevails then they will have all the lumps and bumps and asymmetry that the originals did.
Or do you think they will clean it up and sharpen it.

There were so many stormtroopers in the trilogies where you can spot broken and missing pieces on the E-11 blasters, Broken pieces on the armor, Gaps Etc. If there truly were a Holy Grail of what an ideal Stormtrooper should be it wasn't defined by the movies. If so they wouldn't be so many variations within each movie and even more from one movie to the next.

It is trying to be defined by costuming elitists.

The Darth Vader helmet in episode 3 was as polished and symmetrical as 3d Printing technology would allow. not something that was so hallowed it couldn't be improved upon on Heaven forbid changed.

wrong!!! a few fan made costume originate from real movie suit way more accurate than Anovos, RS is a direct copy of a real suit and the most accurate armor on the market period. I mean they got the helmet wrong which is the main focus of the costume, for the trained eyes Anovos will stand out like a sour thumb next to a accurate fan made ones.
I obviously know about RS and this is specifically what I had in mind when I said that screen accurate replicas are available. Did you know however that some parts of the RS armor had to be hand sculpted because they were either damaged or lost? Food for thought!

On the other end, I never meant that ALL armor were fan sculpt, only that MOST of them were. Even armor that have screen lineage had to be reworked as the process of casting and recasting leaves out some details. Besides most suits who were used for casting were ROTJ and not ANH. If you've researched TK armor, you know this means some major work had to be done to make an ROTJ armor back into an ANH.

In the end, yes there are differences to the trained eye. However, the is not the first "idealized" armor. RS is renowned for its "bumpy" appearance which is screen accurate. I find it yucky [emoji14] But hey, that's my opinion!

EVERY armor is different and yes, if you put them side by side, you will spot difference between an FX, TM, MTK, AP, RS and Anovos. To the untrained eye however, a TK is a TK and if it's well built, 99,99 percent of people won't see the difference from a TK to another. They see a bunch of TK and promptly lose their ****. True story!!!

I don't go out of my way to say armor X is too soft and armor Y has a weird looking codpiece and therefore is crap? It's a matter of personal taste, budget, availability... There is no best armor but there is the best for you based on the factors I mentioned earlier.

Again, no has seen an Anovos armor in the flesh so it's still too early to say what it's really like. I do see what you mean though. They did clean up the eye shape a little and yes, this will be part of what makes Anovos armor different then others.

Still, don't like it? Don't buy it! It just feels like sour grapes at some point... Peace man, we're all Star Wars nerds after all!!!

You obviously know not who you are talking to. :lol

Well since you know so much about what Anovos is doing wrong. Get off your preachers podium, get to work and offer us something better for $350 including all the soft parts.

What did you expect. Every single kit has elements that are not screen accurate. If you hold anyone of them up to the level of scrutiny your holding Anovos to they would all be ripped apart by someone like yourself.

You aren't comparing apples to apples. How much is an RS Kit with all the goodies $350?...I didn't think so.

Maybe later today I'll drive by the BMW dealership with Ford Fiesta money in my pocket and see if I can get everything I expect and someone to wash it on the weekends.

Gimmie a break. I am more than pleased to be receiving this armor. Gonna be proud to wear it. And when the first jack leg that walks up to me and scoffs at me for sticking out like a "SOUR thumb" I'll know he totally misses the point of costuming.

There are currently 3239 stormtroopers active in the 501st, from various makers.
http://www.501st.com/members/costumeroster.php?costumeID=1

If there are suddenly 6000 new Anovos TKs that all look alike, they're not going to be the group that stands out "like a sore thumb." (If fans can really tell the difference at all.)
I somehow doubt that 6000 of those TK will want to join the 501st though... Plenty of people bought those to get a kick ass Halloween costume or man-cave decoration. [emoji12]

I somehow doubt that 6000 of those TK will want to join the 501st though...

I agree. But i assume they will still run around at events, so they WILL be comparable.
Some are bought by 501st troopers as seconds or thirds, some want to be 501st with them, some will be at the same events without being 501st.

And it´s no one run only. Under the line i think they will become pretty common over time.

You obviously know not who you are talking to. :lol

I clearly do not. But I do know costuming and prop building.

I've created dozens of costumes not from a kit but from scratch. One of which won first place in the RPF Halloween Costume Contest among many others.
My Predator Elder took several first place prizes and netted me over $5000 in prize money.
My Buzz Lightyear took three first place prizes and netted over $2000.

I have several builds here on the RPF. Collectively they have sold for enough to pay for my second wedding.:)

But the only reason I created them was for me to have fun and be challenged. The selling and competition is just gravy.

In the end of the day. You should be the only judge of what you want from your costuming. If others appreciate it. All the better if that makes you happy.
If you want to join a group then by all means follow their guidelines and troop along side.

I just get bummed when other people decide what is right and what is wrong. It all a matter of personal preference. There is no right and wrong, Just different.

I've always wanted a TK since I saw the first one on the screen when I was 14 in 1977. And now I'm finally going to own one from Anovos.
It might not please everyone but I love the way it looks and to this date Anovos has not sold one piece of costuming merchandise that has been poorly constructed.

All the Star Trek and Battle Star Gallactica stuff has been top notch. I have faith this will be as well.

I apologize for coming off harsh earlier but. There are a lot of first time buyers looking forward to this kit and some selected few are trying to rain on the parade.

The title of the thread is "Anovos stormtrooper thoughts?" and these are my thoughts, if your happy with it good for you, we all have different standards;)

Last edited:
Well if that is the case it will be very inconsistent from everything else they have produced in the past.

The First Order stuff they have been showcasing at all the comic cons was a great product as was everything else they displayed.

They will be having a serious problem moving forward with all the other products on the drawing table if this fails to meet expectations.
Not to mention all the returns they will be flooded with if the armor is too thin.

Anyway I'm in a wait and see mode. In a month or so we will all see if they deliver on the promise.

Not sure why you guys arIf you read my response to Clutch did say its worth for those who got it for the $350 base price for $650 usd + shipping theres better alternatives lets just hope its not thin plastic that will crack the first day of troop.

Clutch did say its worth for those who got it for the $350 base price for $650 usd + shipping theres better alternatives

And i don´t agree.

Those other 650 USD alternatives will also need shipping, AND additional one needs to buy the soft parts, the assembling stuff,..... and do they include a helmet for that price? Build?
If you include all that, are they still in the same price range?

And i don´t agree.

Those other 650 USD alternatives will also need shipping, AND additional one needs to buy the soft parts, the assembling stuff,..... and do they include a helmet for that price? Build?
If you include all that, are they still in the same price range?

But you get a more accurate product and better quality assuming the plastic is that thin, I rather spend more and get something more accurate but that's me with everything I purchase. yes I'm picky ;)

I´m also known as picky - but nonetheless i need to like it if i have to pay for. ;)

And as mentioned above, i never liked the soft pulls - they looked like crappy props, not as i thought of the Empires elite. You can´t imagine how glad i was to see them sanitized and sharp detailed. :cool

I´m also known as picky - but nonetheless i need to like it if i have to pay for. ;)

And as mentioned above, i never liked the soft pulls - they looked like crappy props, not as i thought of the Empires elite. You can´t imagine how glad i was to see them sanitized and sharp detailed. :cool

I guess not picky enough ;)

Tooooo picky - but by my own judgement. I´m no sheep that follows the masses.

Starting with as screenaccurate as possible, and then modifying till it meets my own expectations. I´ve bought a lot of real parts just to have them remade as "I" want them when i decided the SW prop departmend made a bad job (their standard, they ruined next to everything with their bad work).

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back