Anovos Stormtrooper.... thoughts?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Starrfox1, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Starrfox1

Starrfox1 New Member

2. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm confused.

If I order today the armor with helmet is $350?

3. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

For a finished helmet and unfinished armor yes.

4. cboath

cboath Master Member

You've gotta complete the kit...

But it comes with completed helmet, undersuit and neckseal. You're on your own for boots and blaster...

I'm afraid to ask too many more questions :)

5. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

That's true for the full set as well (boots and blaster), isn't it though? And I know - I keep trying to see how I'd be getting hosed on this deal - Where's the catch? There's gotta be a catch. $350 is less than even the crappiest fleabay recast, uncut styrene kits, WITHOUT a finished bucket.

- - - Updated - - -

6. James Kenobi 1138

Well for $350 for all the armor plus a helmet I just pre-ordered.

I expect it will be awesome and I'll love it. If not I'll re-sell it. Either way, I win.

banthapoodoo and mugatu like this.
  7. GF

GF Sr Member

Worth the $350 price but helmet is way off, soft details ect.... there's way better fan made helmets, some of the armor parts look like recast of the popular kits out there.

8. James Kenobi 1138

Currently I have an AP helmet, but an old FX armor kit. I troop Sandtrooper but everything is clean because I didn't want to dirty up the AP helmet.

I'd rather use the ANOVS helmet to troop and I can go full dirty sandtrooper and use my AP helmet with the ANOVOS armor on a mannequin display.

9. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Sr Member

It's a nice set but does not look that accurate.

10. Shredhead74

Shredhead74 Jr Member

For $350 , why not? Beats the hell outta that Rubies crap armor for $600-1000!
    Armor reminds me of my old FX armor tho somewhat.

11. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ugh. Too many wants, not enough means!

LTsmash1200, gunnerk19 and NeoRutty like this.
  12. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

Ouch. Shipping is almost half the cost of the kit! Dangit, THERE IS the catch.

13. Perotis

Perotis New Member

Will this armor get me into the 501st?

14. James Kenobi 1138

My shipping is $30.

15. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

One hundred and twenty-two to Canada. At that price it might be worth renting a PO Box on the US side. Yikes.

16. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I wonder if it would look bad on a 6'3" frame? I'd do a Han in Stormtrooper set up due to my head probably being too large for the helmet.

17. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

One hundred and twenty-two to Canada. At that price it might be worth renting a PO Box on the US side. Yikes.

18. Necronaut

Necronaut Active Member

$122 for my shipping to Alberta too. It's a lot, but it's still way cheaper than any of the other offerings, even recast eBay crap.

19. CT7567

CT7567 Active Member

I was wondering the same thing. I'm 6' 2" but I think I'm still going to order it.

20. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Me too. My only question is, is the armor all one size and just the soft parts are s,m,l,xl or is the armor sized too. I'm about 6'1" but kind of skinny. I'll need an xl suit but won't need huge armor.

21. James Kenobi 1138

The armor is always the same size. Shorter people (like me) take more plastic off to make pieces shorter to fit. If you are taller you just have slightly larger gaps of black bodysuit showing but it's usually not noticeable.

- - - Updated - - -

It looks more accurate than my FX kit.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    mugatu, CT7567 and jcoffman99 like this.
  22. Psicorp7

Psicorp7 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is exactly what I said. It is not as sharp as an RS suit but the details and shape are way better than the armor produced 15 years ago when I bought my original FX. Plus for the cost it is THE into level suit that is light years better than suits at twice the price.

23. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Inquisitor Peregrinus Master Member

Apparently it needs repeating everytime one of ANOVOS' pre-orders goes live... The picture is not the actual finished product, but a placeholder, proof-of-concept image. So before anyone goes blasting details of that picture. That's not what you get. Read the write-up. All the hard parts for their costumes are laser-scanned from original pieces in the Lucasfilm Archives, 3D printed, and then those prints cleaned up to make forming bucks. They will be as close as possible to the original pieces, while still being durable, wearable costumes. The soft parts are fabric- and color-matched to original pieces and/or reference.

--Jonah

gunnerk19 likes this.
  24. Cameron

Cameron Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Is there a quantity limited to the pre order? In other words once they reach 1000 sets it stops or do they only cut it off on May 4th at that price?

VinMan likes this.
  25. Starrfox1

Starrfox1 New Member

I'm probably going to go with RS or TM, I think in this situation I would rather avoid feeling like I could have done better. Nothing against Anovos, I've had nothing but positive interactions with them and their products look top notch, I would just hate to find myself wishing I had gone with something else come December.

Now to contact TM... does anyone know how long it usually takes to get approved for the FISD forum? I've been waiting for like a week and a half and nobody has responded... I just wanna be a stormy... :-/

26. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

They've shifted to time-based tiers :) so it's good until the dates listed.

Reelo and Cameron like this.
  27. E Williams

E Williams Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm glad I checked this thread... didn't originally see the incredibly low kit price. I'll bite at that price, wow!

28. TK765

TK765 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I already have 4 suits and need another like I need another hole in my head.

With the low price of $350 I would be foolish to pass that up, just wont tell my wife. Hell I am spending more on 2 Hot Toys 12" Stormtroopers.

I believe this will be similar to the cleaned up GF suit from years ago, still has the overall shape and proportions but has all the bumps and imperfections cleaned up, maybe a loss of some sharp edges.

29. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Broke. This is on my bucket list (ha! bucket...) but not gonna happen. Broke as Frak.

I will have to bite the bullet and buy a kit at full price down the line.

30. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

It would be interesting to know how big the armorparts are.I´m a bodybuilder so I would need bigger parts for my legs and arms.I have a updated FX with an accurate helmet and some other parts made from the same ABS...but perfect armorparts with more space would be nice to have!:)

31. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I would be interested to see the inside of the suit ie all the strapping and webbing and buckles and Velcro and so forth. I know from years of trooping, getting the inside right is very very important. I've spent years tweeking the inner works of my armor for the most comfortable and durable troop.

32. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Yes...skin between the armorparts is very painful!:D

Goodwolf likes this.
  33. cboath

cboath Master Member

So, uh, who's gonna start up a mannequin group buy? :)

Reelo likes this.
  34. Woodo

Woodo New Member

1st post :)
    Thought I would come and see what some guys in the know thought of the anovos kit and looks like I got my answer.
    Can someone who has ordered already please answer a question. Do they take a payment including shipping now or when the items actually ships?
    Also anyone received anything from them and incurred customs charges (I am in U.K)?
    Trying to figure if the $350 + $150 shipping and then possible + $customs could almost add up to a the price of an Andrew Ainsworth completed
    armour that I can get now for £600.

35. darthwhitey

darthwhitey Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've bought and sold AP twice over the years, both times for about $1000 for unfinished kits with unfinished helmets.

Since I want it perfect, I never took the time needed to gain the confidence to finish one of these suits.

Offering a finished helmet with unfinished armor for $350 is just insanely cheap. A no brainer for those on a budget.

I'm ordering the full finished ensemble. I think this is a great time in SW costuming. ANOVOS sure seems to be the real deal!!

36. niennumb1

niennumb1 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The question is, will this move force private armor mold makers to have to drop their pricing? And will it even be worth it at that point for them? $350 is a VERY tough price to beat and never had a set of ST armor be that cheap. I'm still skeptical on the quality, but it sounds like Anovos does well in that area already.

37. shenphong

shenphong Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Can't say it'd be an argument about being worth it to them to keep making it since the $350 intro price goes up to over $600 once the intro tier is over. After that, it becomes comparable to the other armor makers out there.

38. Reelo

Reelo Sr Member

Exactly.
    And since I've been looking for a decent SW costume for almost a decade (the main factor being $$$) I'll sign up for this before May 4th. Even my significant other had no solid argument against it, which is almost a miracle.

39. yeek

yeek Member

They take payment immediately, including shipping cost. As for custom charges, maybe someone who's received their product already can help you with that question...

40. Eric Richardson

Eric Richardson Member

The $350 is an introductory price -- it will go up to $600, then move to over $1,000

41. Got Maul

Got Maul Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey all, my apologies. I will answer questions when the waters have calmed over here at Star Wars Celebration Anaheim.

But to quickly answer a question : YES, that armor on the site is our real prototype and not just a concept pics !

Jog and Reelo like this.
  42. addseo1115

addseo1115 New Member

wow' It's a good memory if we could belong to the star war's armor suits. Have a nice time.

43. Crisisfilms

Crisisfilms New Member

Will have to pick up this kit. Insane price and I've been toying with ST armor for years. Hope they give us some time to recover funds before putting up the Ep 7 trooper armor.

44. Prototypical

Prototypical Active Member

I have to admit, I'm a bit torn on this.

On one hand it is an incredible price. A price I may never see again. From what I can see, the armor looks of good quality. I was in love with the TK armor since seeing ANH for the first time. I could probably sell this kit at a later date and at least make my money back.

On the Other hand, money is a bit tight at the moment. I was toying with building a Scout Armor as my first set. I have a goal for having a Star Wars costume for the EpVII premier (501st approved) and the shipping on this armor would not meet that goal.

"Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, your my only hope" :p

45. Reelo

Reelo Sr Member

Placed my order today. Now I have TWO reasons to be impatient! :)

46. ObiJuan70

ObiJuan70 Well-Known Member

Placed my order as well, definitely glad to hear that we have Got Maul here to answer some questions about the armor, looking forward to more news when things settle from C VII

47. JD

JD Master Member

If I read the site correctly, you have until May 4th to place the order at $350. Like so many have said here, sounds too good to pass up (or to be true). I wonder how intense clean-up will be and just where I'm going to find a mannequin... or even put this!

48. Gnar Gnar Jinn

Gnar Gnar Jinn Active Member

I know the site says up to 6' tall... but do you guys think it'll work for 6'2"?

I've always wanted to do a TK, but have always been out of my price range till now...

49. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

At $350, this is a no brainer. I realize this is a 'Proof of concept' Etc. The only critique I would have is to use the original methods of joining the arm leg halves together.

The under bicep detail is a lot sharper than my TE2 set....more accurate to the screen grabs posted.

Anyway, Viva la Star wars. I guess Im gonna convert my TE2 to a Desert Trooper.

50. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wait, wait, how long is it 350.00?