Rey Scavenger Backpack Build Thread

Ok! I'm gearing up to start my back pack build. Thanks to the wonderful Kristen I'll be getting much of the raw materials and such (thank you again!). Next I'm getting in line the tools I'll need. So far:

- leather punch to make holes for the stitches (size?)
- leather compass
- the little tool that is like a pastry crimper that marks the holes (clearly amateur hour over here)
- thread (should it be waxed? Size suggestions)
-clasps to hold the pieces together while I stitch
-leather needle

Anything I'm missing or way off on?

Thanks! And congrats Goldhawk on finishing your pack!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
some of the tools you'll need will depend on how you want to go about stitching.

I believe Goldhawk has been using a sewing awl, whereas I like to hand stitch using the waxed thread with a needle at both ends of the thread and do a saddle stitch. It all depends how you like to do it.

I don't clip my parts together when I hand stitch. I usually put them together with some contact cement, and then once that's set I punch the holes and stitch away.

I got a multi end punch set from tandy which comes with four different attachments in each of three different hole spacings (think of the spacings as small, med and large I guess).

With a big project like this, I will most often use the punch end which punches 6 holes at one time and work that around the area I'm doing, only switching to the shorter 4 hole, 2 hole or 1 hole attachments if I'm going round a rounded end or to finish off at the end of something. This makes assembly very fast as i can coat the pieces to be joined with contact cement, wait about 10 minutes and then stick them together... then punch out my holes and get to stitching.

I have been using a sewing awl, but only to punch the holes as I go. It has a nice, sharp point!
I have sewed everything together using a saddle stitch and two needles like Kristen.
The thread should definitely be waxed! If your thread isn't you can buy some beeswax and wax it yourself. I used Tiger Ritza thread in amber glow, and that comes pre-waxed. The size of mine was 1.0 mm, but there are thicker and thinner sizes.
I personally have not used contact cement at all in this build, though that is a time honored technique. I have entirely used small hand clamps and a stitching pony. I did also invest in the non permanent leather tape from Tandy. That was a lifesaver when it came time to do the smaller sewing parts, as I could position it, reposition it, and then sew it!
I also used a leather marker, which was very useful for marking exactly where shoulder strap fasteners and the straps on the front of the bag should go.
I did use the pastry crimper tool a lot. I believe it's called a stitching wheel. It also has small, medium and large stitch lengths; the medium one on mine most closely matched my reference pictures.

With the awl to punch, I was able to punch 5 or 6 holes, sew, and punch again. That way if I needed to put it down for some reason the holes wouldn't close. (Leather is amazingly resilient).

Everything on your list are things you will need, so you're not off at all!

Bag pictures!
TBH, I'm only about 95% done, there are a couple more details to add plus weathering, but I'm very happy with how this turned out for a first try!

20170715_182601.jpg 20170715_182613.jpg 20170715_182624.jpg 20170715_182635.jpg 20170715_182644.jpg 20170715_182658.jpg 20170715_182836.jpg20170715_182725.jpg 20170715_182731.jpg 20170715_183217.jpg

Last edited:
One more question (but probably not my last. Hahaha). Did you all do a 4mm stitch or a 3mm stitch. I'm going to get the pronged punch but they come in all these size. Based on reference photos and pictures of other peoples packs I'm going to say 3mm. But it is very hard to say for sure. Thanks for any advice!

*edit got to test the 3mm and it is much to small. So perhaps its is 4mm or larger?

Last edited:
Blerg. I've started my backpack! I'm so nervous I didn't do to much yet. I want to take it slow so its just right. The stitching on your all's packs is so nice and neat and pretty. I want that! Any tips? I feel like I'm going to muck it up in some way I can't come back from. Also, thoughts on these colors of waxed thread. The top option is darker (mid brown tiger thread) and matches the leather quite well. The lower is a lighter brown that seems a little red. But I like the second one more and I have a lot more of it. I am not sure I'll have enough of the mid brown. What do you all think? Would the lighter brown work? Is it too red? Meh. Its always something. Thanks!

20170801_102322.jpg

Is it on the leather you're going to use? I would go with the lighter one, personally. You can always darken it with weathering, but if it's too dark you'll just end up with contrast stitching. ;)
As for how I got the stitching to look neat... after I had cut out my pieces I took some long scraps and practiced marking out the stitches and sewing them. I think I did 3 or 4 practice pieces; but I did it until they looked consistent before I started on the bag. This was my first time sewing leather too, so I believe in you!

Oh, on the actual bag I put my stitches 1/4 inches from the edge.
I hope this helps you get started! Once the sewing starts, it's just a matter of planning which pieces to sew first before you sew the whole bag up!

Bag pictures!
TBH, I'm only about 95% done, there are a couple more details to add plus weathering, but I'm very happy with how this turned out for a first try!

View attachment 744324 View attachment 744338 View attachment 744352 View attachment 744356 View attachment 744361 View attachment 744372 View attachment 744382View attachment 744373 View attachment 744374 View attachment 744387

Honestly I can't get over how clean you guys' needlework is. That is just gorgeous.

What kind of closure is that on your left side water bottle holder? I tried installing snaps but I am having zero luck getting the godforsaken things to lie flush with the leather.

I still need to add the loop to the shoulder strap, then this weekend I'm going hunting for the accessories. For the water bottles I'm thinking of starting with cheap water bottles, building the shapes with styrofoam, setting it with paper clay, sealing that then painting it silver. Though maybe creating a worbla shell might be more time efficient.

IMG_0346.JPG

Here were the pieces before assembly

IMG_0350.JPG

Last edited:
Is it on the leather you're going to use? I would go with the lighter one, personally. You can always darken it with weathering, but if it's too dark you'll just end up with contrast stitching. ;)
As for how I got the stitching to look neat... after I had cut out my pieces I took some long scraps and practiced marking out the stitches and sewing them. I think I did 3 or 4 practice pieces; but I did it until they looked consistent before I started on the bag. This was my first time sewing leather too, so I believe in you!

Oh, on the actual bag I put my stitches 1/4 inches from the edge.
I hope this helps you get started! Once the sewing starts, it's just a matter of planning which pieces to sew first before you sew the whole bag up!
Ok! I tried the lighter one but once I stitched on for a larger area it just brought it all shades of red. So I pulled it out and tried the darker one. It ended up contrasting in a subtle way. I liked I!So I dove I'm. Here's my progress. The outside pieces are mostly attached. This weekend I'll be able to do the main pack assembly. My stitches are a bit clumsy in places. This saddle stitching takes some getting used to. I practiced, but on just a single layer of leather. The multiple layers is what it got a little bumpy. But I'm really pleased all the same. I think it will weather nicely and really no one will notice the stitching.

I got the greeblies for the bag and want to paint em up this weekend. I'd like to not go the rub n buff route. What have spray paints have you all used? Any good recommendations?

Thanks so much! This is really a team effort here guys. [emoji1]
76edd90ab0e6e7fa763b6810a5c8a77e.jpg

So far I've been using rub 'n buff for the small pieces. I silvered them with that, did a brown and black wash on them, and then sealed them. I probably will use a metal spray paint for the bigger ones, though. I know Kristen used a really nice spray paint for her latest greeblies, but I don't know what it was.

Great start on your backpack! Looking good!

What kind of closure is that on your left side water bottle holder?

View attachment 748437

It's a Sam Browne Stud Post from Tandy Leather.

I'll get you the stock number when i get home from work.

It basically has a screw which goes in the back to hold the stud to one half of your enfield sling, and then you push a hole in the other side of your sling with a sewing awl (or you can use a hole punch) and then you just snap the hole over the stud and that holds it closed

- - - Updated - - -

Ok! I tried the lighter one but once I stitched on for a larger area it just brought it all shades of red. So I pulled it out and tried the darker one. It ended up contrasting in a subtle way. I liked I!So I dove I'm. Here's my progress. The outside pieces are mostly attached. This weekend I'll be able to do the main pack assembly. My stitches are a bit clumsy in places. This saddle stitching takes some getting used to. I practiced, but on just a single layer of leather. The multiple layers is what it got a little bumpy. But I'm really pleased all the same. I think it will weather nicely and really no one will notice the stitching.

I got the greeblies for the bag and want to paint em up this weekend. I'd like to not go the rub n buff route. What have spray paints have you all used? Any good recommendations?

Thanks so much! This is really a team effort here guys. [emoji1] https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170802/76edd90ab0e6e7fa763b6810a5c8a77e.jpg

Looks awesome so far! Good show!

I painted all of the greeblies first with a gloss black base, then used rustoleum brilliant silver over top (mist light coats till a metallic sheen is reached) then I used cast iron stove polish to weather and finally sealed with a matte clear.

19989122_10213143800005945_1921623801_n.jpg

Honestly I can't get over how clean you guys' needlework is. That is just gorgeous.

What kind of closure is that on your left side water bottle holder? I tried installing snaps but I am having zero luck getting the godforsaken things to lie flush with the leather.

I still need to add the loop to the shoulder strap, then this weekend I'm going hunting for the accessories. For the water bottles I'm thinking of starting with cheap water bottles, building the shapes with styrofoam, setting it with paper clay, sealing that then painting it silver. Though maybe creating a worbla shell might be more time efficient.

View attachment 748436

View attachment 748437

That looks beautiful! I love the color!

I used this's post from the buckle guy as a closure, and it worked really well.
https://www.buckleguy.com/b1018-ant...equires-the-back-post-b-1414-sold-separately/

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 748436

View attachment 748437

That looks beautiful! I love the color!

I used this's post from the buckle guy as a closure, and it worked really well.
https://www.buckleguy.com/b1018-ant...equires-the-back-post-b-1414-sold-separately/

Thank you all for the support and feedback! Its been really fun to learn to do this stuff. Ok, I'm going to pick up some of that spray paint for the big pieces and like Goldhawk suggests go with rub n buff for the small stuff...or at least that little one on the front. That one's got some detail.

The front tab that folds into the top flap clasp...its pretty thick and I'm not sure I have it positioned right.Did you all do anything to soften it up and get it to lay more flat when put in the buckle?

About one of the pack front greeblies...Is it not actually a clip? Was this ever settled? I can't decided based on reference photos. It sure looks like the leather is notched. But I don't really want to do that. Hahahaha. I'd rather make it a clip. Notching the leather seems risky. Also, I accidentally stitched the leather in the wrong place my first try and am looking for that clip to hide it. Ha! :)

It's a Sam Browne Stud Post from Tandy Leather.

I'll get you the stock number when i get home from work.

It basically has a screw which goes in the back to hold the stud to one half of your enfield sling, and then you push a hole in the other side of your sling with a sewing awl (or you can use a hole punch) and then you just snap the hole over the stud and that holds it closed

- - - Updated - - -

Looks awesome so far! Good show!

I painted all of the greeblies first with a gloss black base, then used rustoleum brilliant silver over top (mist light coats till a metallic sheen is reached) then I used cast iron stove polish to weather and finally sealed with a matte clear.

View attachment 748603

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back