Rey Scavenger Backpack Build Thread

For the top flap fasten strap really I just worked it in and out lots of times and it did soften *some*... it's still a bit stiff but usually lays flat if I pull it down all the way tight. You could also wet the leather a bit, then pull it down and put some weight on it holding it flat and let it dry.

The under flap greeblie did appear to have a notch cut for it on the hero pack, but after trying that with all of my other builds and never being able to get it to lay flat i decided this time to make the greeblie have a functional clip.

If you look at Ian's greeblie you will see it's hollow under that part, and attached only at the top and bottom. I took a coping saw and cut the bottom part free from the body of the canister and used a bit of sandpaper to smooth it out and widen the gap enough that it would slip over the leather on the holder on the front of the pack.

It *did* break on me once though... but I glued it back on with Mitre Bond and haven't had any more issues yet.

For the front closure strap, I didn't really do anything to it. I have used the backpack some as my purse, and the strap is breaking in, but other than that I left the wrinkles. If you look at some of the display pictures, though, you will see that it doesn't lay completely flat even on the original bag.
Here's a pic of mine, un-softened.

20170703_221455.jpg

On on a side note, I have quite a few pictures of my build (to this point!) that I didn't post yet. I'm thinking of making a Dropbox folder with them and putting it in the original post to help anyone else who wants to make this bag as well. Hoping to get it up tomorrow in my spare time. I'll add pictures of weathering and such as it happens:)

For the front closure strap, I didn't really do anything to it. I have used the backpack some as my purse, and the strap is breaking in, but other than that I left the wrinkles. If you look at some of the display pictures, though, you will see that it doesn't lay completely flat even on the original bag.
Here's a pic of mine, un-softened.

View attachment 748696

On on a side note, I have quite a few pictures of my build (to this point!) that I didn't post yet. I'm thinking of making a Dropbox folder with them and putting it in the original post to help anyone else who wants to make this bag as well. Hoping to get it up tomorrow in my spare time. I'll add pictures of weathering and such as it happens:)

I've also seen in some of the display photos that they don't always thread the flap all the way. Sometimes it doesn't come back through the front again. You know, one day I'll work on a costume were the reference pics are consistent and all the colors found in a basic crayon box. Lol.

I'd love to see more pictures! And once again, your stitchingis so lovely. You really see it in the close ups. Damn, I aspire to that level of neat stitching.[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

For the top flap fasten strap really I just worked it in and out lots of times and it did soften *some*... it's still a bit stiff but usually lays flat if I pull it down all the way tight. You could also wet the leather a bit, then pull it down and put some weight on it holding it flat and let it dry.

The under flap greeblie did appear to have a notch cut for it on the hero pack, but after trying that with all of my other builds and never being able to get it to lay flat i decided this time to make the greeblie have a functional clip.

If you look at Ian's greeblie you will see it's hollow under that part, and attached only at the top and bottom. I took a coping saw and cut the bottom part free from the body of the canister and used a bit of sandpaper to smooth it out and widen the gap enough that it would slip over the leather on the holder on the front of the pack.

It *did* break on me once though... but I glued it back on with Mitre Bond and haven't had any more issues yet.
I have a Dremel tool I was going to use the littlest cutting wheel to make the clip. Ian's greeblies are probably the nicest 3D prints I've worked wirh. I hardly had to sand and didn't have to do any fill. Thanks for that connection!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back