Breaking Bad

Here's where we disagree.

Originally, I agreed with you. When watching the final four episodes as they were airing I wondered why the Neo-Nazis got to be the final villains when Gus, and arguably even Tuco, were more interesting characters.

But then I realized that the series positions Uncle Jack and Todd as mirror images of Walt and Jesse. Uncle Jack and Todd now diligently run the lab. Walt had called Jesse his nephew before, to multiple people. Jack shares Walt's self-destructive pride, as being called a liar is what prevented him from killing Walt sooner, which would have prevented Jack's death. Todd kills Andrea when he calls her to her door, just as Jesse killed Gale. Jack kills Hank, but Walt both figuratively and literally dug Hank's grave, both by creating this situation and by digging the pit in which Hank was buried. The Neo-Nazis are a reflection of Walt and Jesse's worst qualities and deeds. (Also, they are fitting in terms of the whole Werner Heisenberg/Nazi connection)

Season 5 is, below the surface narrative, about realization and self examination. Jesse realizes the weight of his wrongdoings, gets out of the business, and attempts to help Hank. The family learns about Walt's drug empire and we see them in their true colors, for better or worse. This is most clearly expressed when Walt says to Skyler, "I did it for me."

So, the Neo-Nazis really represent the consequences of what Walt and Jesse had brought upon themselves. They are their own true destructors. How fitting, then, that Walt dies from his own bullet.

If Hank had really captured or killed Walt, it would have really been a missed opportunity for these characters to symbolically come against the biggest villains of the series: themselves.

It's just like Jesse says in Season 3, "I accept who I am. I'm the bad guy." But it really took them until the end of the series to feel the consequences of their own actions.
Well squid summed it up perfectly, much better than I would have. And as Forrest Gump would say "That's all I have to say... about that."

The theme of the story is that "breaking bad" never leads to anything good. Everyone was undone by their own choices. Walt and Jesse's choice to cook meth led to their lives being destroyed, and their ultimate punishment being that they had to watch someone they love be killed because of it. Hank's choice not to turn in Walt right when he discovered he was Heisenberg (but rather go rogue and "be the one that caught him") was his undoing.

I highly disagree with anyone who says Walt achieved any kind of "redemption". Walt returned in the final episode because of his pride - which was the driving force behind everything he did. The only difference at the end was that he didn't deny that fact any longer. He knew his time was almost up, and he was going to finish his plan, dammit. He found a way to leave his family his money, take credit for being the greatest meth cook in the world, and kill all those who crossed him. Death was always his end game. He accomplished everything he had been trying to, and "got away" with just seconds to spare before the police rushed in.

Walt redeemed himself because he came to the realization that the things he did were wrong, and he tried to fix them as best he could. Would you rather him have brought the dead back to life? He got rid of all the big meth manufacturers in Albuquerque, of course there will be more to fill their place, but he righted his wrong. I have seen this show since the first episode aired, and have watched it multiple times, so I am biased. However I do think he redeemed himself, like he said to Skyler he did this for himself, and not his family. He rid himself of all his pride, and the fact that he saved Jesse is just icing on the cake.
I'll concede to Hecubus114 's comment... Walter didn't redeem himself, he couldn't. The only thing he managed to do was save Jesse and set out what he started to do: get his kids money (and even that could be arguable - because, who knows what happens to that money).

Here's where we disagree.

Originally, I agreed with you. When watching the final four episodes as they were airing I wondered why the Neo-Nazis got to be the final villains when Gus, and arguably even Tuco, were more interesting characters.

But then I realized that the series positions Uncle Jack and Todd as mirror images of Walt and Jesse. Uncle Jack and Todd now diligently run the lab. Walt had called Jesse his nephew before, to multiple people. Jack shares Walt's self-destructive pride, as being called a liar is what prevented him from killing Walt sooner, which would have prevented Jack's death. Todd kills Andrea when he calls her to her door, just as Jesse killed Gale. Jack kills Hank, but Walt both figuratively and literally dug Hank's grave, both by creating this situation and by digging the pit in which Hank was buried. There are even some visual clues that support this: when he's being held captive, Jesse is wearing the shirt Todd wore when he killed Drew Sharp, and Walt kills Jack the same way Jack killed Hank: by shooting him in the head without letting him finish his final words. The Neo-Nazis are a reflection of Walt and Jesse's worst qualities and deeds. (Also, they are fitting in terms of the whole Werner Heisenberg/Nazi connection)
I was actually going to mention that Todd/Uncle Jack are somewhat reflections of Walt - they're just the new guys coming and moving up the chain like Walt once was. But, I think you're trying to put too much into it....

Todd and the gang are bad people from the start. Now, granted we don't know their full back story... but what we see is enough: these are bad guys and probably deserved to die from the moment we see them. Their journey's to being evil has already happened - once Todd killed the kid, we know this. Walt and Jesse did what they had to do at times - they're far from guilt free.... but, we're talking night/day. Yes, there may similarities but, in the end they're just the new guys in business.

Season 5 is, below the surface narrative, about realization and self examination. Jesse realizes the weight of his wrongdoings, gets out of the business, and attempts to help Hank. The family learns about Walt's drug empire and we see them in their true colors, for better or worse. This is most clearly expressed when Walt says to Skyler, "I did it for me."

So, the Neo-Nazis really represent the consequences of what Walt and Jesse had brought upon themselves. They are their own true destructors. How fitting, then, that Walt dies from his own bullet.

If Hank had really captured or killed Walt, it would have really been a missed opportunity for these characters to symbolically come against the biggest villains of the series: themselves.

It's just like Jesse says in Season 3, "I accept who I am. I'm the bad guy." But it really took them until the end of the series to feel the consequences of their own actions.
I don't necessarily disagree with most of this. However, I think what was really missed was an opportunity to make the story more circular to give it what I though would've been a better, stronger finish. Hank's ending was empty to me, somewhat meaningless...

But, I also understand that life doesn't always give us the perfect ending, the perfect circular story. It's unpredictable.

The theme of the story is that "breaking bad" never leads to anything good. Everyone was undone by their own choices. Walt and Jesse's choice to cook meth led to their lives being destroyed, and their ultimate punishment being that they had to watch someone they love be killed because of it. Hank's choice not to turn in Walt right when he discovered he was Heisenberg (but rather go rogue and "be the one that caught him") was his undoing.

I highly disagree with anyone who says Walt achieved any kind of "redemption". Walt returned in the final episode because of his pride - which was the driving force behind everything he did. The only difference at the end was that he didn't deny that fact any longer. He knew his time was almost up, and he was going to finish his plan, dammit. He found a way to leave his family his money, take credit for being the greatest meth cook in the world, and kill all those who crossed him. Death was always his end game. He accomplished everything he had been trying to, and "got away" with just seconds to spare before the police rushed in.
I agree with this for the most part - although, I don't necessarily think he wanted to kill anyone. Look at Jesse, Jesse probably betrayed Walt in the worst possible way: he was working with Hank, yet he didn't just let Jesse live - he saved him. The question I have now is... was saving Jesse his endgame or just an "accident" that happened along with Walt's reckoning?

Last edited by a moderator:
I should add - or reiterate, I didn't hate the ending.

I loved the Breaking Bad story - I thought it was a great journey that showed us Walter White's transformation. I do wonder if I ruined some of it by binge watching it like I did and not giving some episodes "room to breath" a bit and letting the story settle in my head. I thought WW's "evilness" was rushed at a few points in the story - like, they tried to hard to make him this evil badass... but, had I taken a week (or whatever) between episodes rather than back-to-back, would it have clicked a little more.

From pretty much the beginning of the story, I thought Hank would be the ultimate end of WW. I was a bit shocked and miffed at his death.... now, I didn't like the character much and I don't think he deserved to catch Heisenberg. But, I think that's what would've made it that much better, a more complete storyline.

But, true to life - we don't always get "more complete storylines." People die.

That was one thing that always made me kind of shake my head during the last couple seasons - the show became so incredibly popular, and so many people jumped on it and started binge watching... I really felt like a lot of the effect was lost on people. I'm sure if I hadn't started from the beginning, I would have done the same (I mean - how can you NOT watch the next episode, knowing it's just sitting there, waiting for you?).

Over the course of 5 years, Walt's transformation felt very fluid and natural. It always amazes me to go back and see what the character started as, and remember that he wasn't always the guy we knew in season 5.

I'll agree he didn't want to kill anyone per se, but he wanted to hold his reputation that he wasn't someone to **** with. Jesse and his family kind of fell out of this category because they knew the real him and what his motivation was. There was no need to hold the tough guy act with them.

Yeah, letting Jesse live was redeeming in a way, but we need to remember that Walt didn't make the journey back to save him. In fact, Walt went back under the assumption that Jesse was cooking his product for them and his betrayal had come full circle. Walt took the M60 planning to kill everyone, including himself, and let that be the end. When he saw that Jesse had been tortured and held against his will, I think he had a moment of "what have I done to this guy?".

It did bother me a little at first that these group of scumbags we only knew for a season were Heisenberg's ultimate undoing, but they represented an important plot element: there would never be an end. Walt's family would never be safe as long as he was alive. There would always be someone next in line out to get him. Marie pointed it out perfectly by saying to Walt that if he would just die, it would all go away.

That was one thing that always made me kind of shake my head during the last couple seasons - the show became so incredibly popular, and so many people jumped on it and started binge watching... I really felt like a lot of the effect was lost on people. I'm sure if I hadn't started from the beginning, I would have done the same (I mean - how can you NOT watch the next episode, knowing it's just sitting there, waiting for you?).

Over the course of 5 years, Walt's transformation felt very fluid and natural. It always amazes me to go back and see what the character started as, and remember that he wasn't always the guy we knew in season 5.

I'll agree he didn't want to kill anyone per se, but he wanted to hold his reputation that he wasn't someone to **** with. Jesse and his family kind of fell out of this category because they knew the real him and what his motivation was. There was no need to hold the tough guy act with them.

Yeah, letting Jesse live was redeeming in a way, but we need to remember that Walt didn't make the journey back to save him. In fact, Walt went back under the assumption that Jesse was cooking his product for them and his betrayal had come full circle. Walt took the M60 planning to kill everyone, including himself, and let that be the end. When he saw that Jesse had been tortured and held against his will, I think he had a moment of "what have I done to this guy?".

It did bother me a little at first that these group of scumbags we only knew for a season were Heisenberg's ultimate undoing, but they represented an important plot element: there would never be an end. Walt's family would never be safe as long as he was alive. There would always be someone next in line out to get him. Marie pointed it out perfectly by saying to Walt that if he would just die, it would all go away.
I just don't understand how he didn't redeem himself? He clearly was never going to be the Walt from the beginning of the pilot, but he literally did every single thing to make things right. He gave the money to his children, he apologized to his wife, and admitted his wrongdoings, he rid his city of every one else like himself, and he saved the person that he believed was responsible for the death of someone he most loved. And during season 5 he also admitted to poisoning Brock, and letting Jane die. When I think of redemption, I think of only a few things, confession, reconciliation, and realization. And Walt did all of this. Do you guys think he didn't redeem himself because he had bad intentions, when going to kill Lydia, and the Nazi's? If so then why would he want to kill himself in the process, someone with a high sense of pride or self worth doesn't want to commit suicide. He knew what he had done, and was ashamed of himself. I believe that Walt redeemed himself in my eyes, clearly you all disagree, and that's fine, but I just wanted to give a true explanation. I love the show, and am glad you do too.

From what squid said, and I don't know if you skipped over it. He said Jack and Todd are reflections of Walt, and Jesse's worst qualities, and they are. If Walt and Jesse were pure evil they would be Jack, and Todd.

I don't consider it redemption because it wasn't for anyone's benefit but his own. All of his confessions only came when he was caught red handed (or to cause the most pain thinkable in the case of telling Jesse about Jane). He continuously turned down opportunities to leave his family money throughout the series (the last being when he refused to sell the methylamine to Declan) - why? Because those methods didn't serve his pride. It had to be HIM and HIM ALONE that did it. That wasn't for anyone but himself, which he finally admitted to Skyler in the finale, but simply acknowledging that does not equal redemption. Maybe he was ashamed, maybe he did wish to redeem himself in the end... but he had gone too deep. The chance had passed. As he said to Walt Jr. on the phone when he was trying to send the last of the money: "it can't all be for nothing". Walt soul had been sold seasons before that. He had come to terms with being hated. He was a ******* and knew it. It was okay as long as it served some purpose in the end. But morally speaking, I don't consider anything he did to be redemption.

Now don't get me wrong - that's one of the great beauties of this series - there are so many points of views and arguments to be made. It really has made me question my own standards of "right" and "wrong", as well as what defines a "bad" person.

I don't consider it redemption because it wasn't for anyone's benefit but his own. All of his confessions only came when he was caught red handed (or to cause the most pain thinkable in the case of telling Jesse about Jane). He continuously turned down opportunities to leave his family money throughout the series (the last being when he refused to sell the methylamine to Declan) - why? Because those methods didn't serve his pride. It had to be HIM and HIM ALONE that did it. That wasn't for anyone but himself, which he finally admitted to Skyler in the finale, but simply acknowledging that does not equal redemption. Maybe he was ashamed, maybe he did wish to redeem himself in the end... but he had gone too deep. The chance had passed. As he said to Walt Jr. on the phone when he was trying to send the last of the money: "it can't all be for nothing". Walt soul had been sold seasons before that. He had come to terms with being hated. He was a ******* and knew it. It was okay as long as it served some purpose in the end. But morally speaking, I don't consider anything he did to be redemption.

Now don't get me wrong - that's one of the great beauties of this series - there are so many points of views and arguments to be made. It really has made me question my own standards of "right" and "wrong", as well as what defines a "bad" person.
Well as they say "to each his own". I'm glad we can have this conversation of differing opinions without it turning nasty. Just shows what a great community the RPF has. Thank you for demonstrating your point of view politely, and you have very good reasoning for your interpretation.

I tend to agree with Hecubus114, although I can understand what thequackdealer is speaking of... in the end, I think Walt wanted revenge (for many things, yet) - not redemption.

I am glad to see the series is getting discussion so long after it ended. I'm glad I finally watched it - it's definitely some of the best character driven stuff I've seen. Even if sometimes I wish thing's were a little different here and there...

Last edited by a moderator:
Walter White might but dead, but his legacy lives on!
Once again my favourite public broadcaster WDR5 brings a "Philosophy special" with the title "Breaking Bad - who fears of Walter White?" today at 23:05 Breaking Bad - WDR 5

The absolute evil probably doesn't exist as well as the absolute good, every man does carry both dimensions of it within. It gets interesting, if the coordinates are shifting, when one turns from rather good to evil or vis versa.

Exactly that happens in the american hit series "Breaking Bad", that tells the story of chemist Walter White, who is terminally ill, becoming unemployed - and therefor decides to keep him and his family above the waterline with the manufacture and sale of drugs. A decision, which puts Walter White permanently into a moral dilemma and the question, if he's going to be "good" or "bad". About the philosophical Dimension of "Breaking Bad" are discussing the filmaker and cultural scientist Christiane Voss, the philosopher Christop Menke, the journalist René Aguigah moderates.

Excerpts of an event from the Philcologne 2014

I'm totally excited about, how BB is viewed by philosophers!

The absolute evil probably doesn't exist as well as the absolute good, every man does carry both dimensions of it within. It gets interesting, if the coordinates are shifting, when one turns from rather good to evil or vis versa.

It seems to me that so much of his decision making is influenced by missing out on Gray Matter Technologies. He just can't handle leaving another business, even an illegal one, and have other people get rich off his formulas again.

That's what the show is about to me. You just have to be able to get over making a bad decision and not let that mistake rule your life. Still, must be incredibly hard being a high school teacher while your former associate and love interest is a billionaire. That's a tough pill to swallow!

A very good point! I think it's also a contributing and driving factor, but at the end of BB, when Walter sneaked into his former partner and his lover's loft, he left it finally behind. I don't know, what they will be talking about tonight, but I am sure, it will hopefully mentioned, since BB was also a biiig hit in germany and I guess the participants have seen it with the same passion. I'm going to download the podcast again and will post an abstract.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back