Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP

Hi,

The #80 bit is so small I can't see how the .25mm fiber optic is that small to go through that hole. I have to order some to see for myself.

I have the Tamiya electric drill.

This is my setup up so far (haven't started on the larger lights yet) - #80 holes are totally fine for the .25mm fiber to pass through. I have read elsewhere people running .25mm are having better luck using a slightly larger bit in terms of breakage. I'm contemplating trying that next, as I'm plowing through the stupid things like crazy. On the PLUS side however, it looks like the broken shafts will make perfect analogs for the various gun barrels present on the bridge of the 8' Avenger :lol

This is my setup up so far (haven't started on the larger lights yet) - #80 holes are totally fine for the .25mm fiber to pass through. I have read elsewhere people running .25mm are having better luck using a slightly larger bit in terms of breakage. I'm contemplating trying that next, as I'm plowing through the stupid things like crazy. On the PLUS side however, it looks like the broken shafts will make perfect analogs for the various gun barrels present on the bridge of the 8' Avenger :lol

Thanks for the info!!

I was drilling test holes with the #80 bit and it was so small I could barely see light coming through it. What size/number bit are you using for the .50mm fiber?
A #73 or #74 bit?

Thanks

Honestly, I haven't even started on them yet, and haven't picked up the .5mm fiber either, so not sure. There's so few that I'm tackling the .25 first (god how I hate drilling holes. GOd how I hate not being able to keep them lined up perfectly). Going to have to soon, and even bigger, as I've got Gus's hangar installed now, and can't wait to light that sucker!!!

0122171048.jpg
Got all the fiber finished and trench LEDs hooked up. I used almost 160 feet of fiber in this. I need to finish wiring the trench LEDs tomorrow after the glue cures.

Hi Robiwon,

What do you have covering the LEDs? Doesn't look like heat shrink tubing

Has anybody tried using 5mm flat top LEDs compared to the 5mm round top ones? The FO would sit flush against the flat top of the LED

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I have used heat shrink on fiber, doesn't hurt it at all, just don't get your heat source too hot. I shrunk it using my heat gun on low setting. I imagine the flat head LEDs would work better than the round head, on the other hand, the round ones work well enough.

I have used heat shrink on fiber, doesn't hurt it at all, just don't get your heat source too hot. I shrunk it using my heat gun on low setting. I imagine the flat head LEDs would work better than the round head, on the other hand, the round ones work well enough.

Thanks for the info. I checked both the flat top and round LEDs and the Luminous Intensity (MCD) are the same for both kinds so no difference there. All the fibers will sit flush against the flat top LED. I have to buy LEDs anyway for this project since I don't have any in warm white. They are cheap so I will buy a few bags of each.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 748846

Hi Robiwon,

What do you have covering the LEDs? Doesn't look like heat shrink tubing

Has anybody tried using 5mm flat top LEDs compared to the 5mm round top ones? The FO would sit flush against the flat top of the LED

Thanks in advance!

Those are sections of 5mm inner diameter plastic tube. I white glue them over the LED And shove as many fibers as I can in the other end and secure them with a clear silicone glue made by Loctite called G02.

Got all the fiber finished and trench LEDs hooked up. I used almost 160 feet of fiber in this. I need to finish wiring the trench LEDs tomorrow after the glue cures.

Those are sections of 5mm inner diameter plastic tube. I white glue them over the LED And shove as many fibers as I can in the other end and secure them with a clear silicone glue made by Loctite called G02.

Thanks for the response and explanation on how you glued them together!

Where did you purchase the tubes?

just chiming in...
the LED's I get from a ME80 on Ebay come with that little bit of tube on them. Also, the round top LED's, I totally get what you mean on that. if you shove them in too far, the FO on the outer edges go past the LED and don't light as much. I push the FO in as far as they'll go, with my thumb nail at the point where it meets the, we'll call it the "gathering tube". pull them back out and choke back on it like an 8th inch. wrap that mark with tape so I know where to stop for maximum light.
And I've been using the Lazer Bond stuff they advertise on TV. you can find it at the seen on TV stand at the drug store. use that to glue the FO to the gathering tube, then slipping the shrink tubing over that. the afore mentioned tape helps keep the heat of shrinking from getting to the FO. it ain't coming out unless you pull hard, but it will come out, because if you're like me, you later find you needed to stuff more FO in that one :facepalm

just my two cents

just my two cents on the matter

Escape068, it's just plastic tubing from the hobby shop. I think drinking straws work too, haven't tried it yet.

Hi Robiwon,

Just picked up 1/4" plastic tubing for the LEDs from local hardware store........Are you using bright white or warm white for the engines?

Do you have any pictures of flush cutting the fiber in tight areas after it was painted. What tools did you use? I have flush cutters and other small cutting tools but was interested in what you used in the tight spots without damaging the paint and still getting a flush cut.

I may experiment with putting a drop of micro crystal clear over the FO after it's cut to see the difference/effect if any

Thanks!

I used Brite whites for the engines and windows, but switched to warm whites for windows on my second build but will continue with the Brite for the engines. Look on page 12 for pics of my cutting tools I use, about halfway down.

just throwing this out there...
I saw a guy on you tube use blue flicker LED for the engines...so I ordered some for my build...which won't begin till the fall most likely. but what he did looked rather good.

just saying

I used Brite whites for the engines and windows, but switched to warm whites for windows on my second build but will continue with the Brite for the engines. Look on page 12 for pics of my cutting tools I use, about halfway down.

I'm going to do the same bright white for the engines and warm white for the windows. What color are you using for the Pico leds?

I checked and no pictures of the tools are showing.

Maybe not coming through on my work PC but there are a lot of other pictures I'm seeing on this thread.

Thanks!

WarpeD, here are the tools I use to trim fibers. I use the sprue cutters the most, but the others come in handy as well.
http://i63.tinypic.com/sxdwuh.jpg

Here is some trench fiber sticking out. Note that the entire fiber is covered in paint. Get your clipper in there as close to the hull as you can.
http://i66.tinypic.com/2s7we3m.jpg

Here is the same fiber, now trimmed, note that we now have a nice pinpoint of light.
http://i67.tinypic.com/optg6x.jpg

That's all there is to it. You may not always get right up to the hull with your clippers, but if not, that just gives you a bit of 3-dimensional lighting!

Post 287 on page 12. Picos are standard whites.

Post 287 on page 12. Picos are standard whites.

Thanks for the picture links.

For the new SD you are going with warm white for interior, bright white for the engines and the Picos are standard white......meaning bright or warm?

I'm thinking standard is bright white then how does that mix of bright white and warm white look together for the windows and recessed areas?

Thanks!

How many drill bits should I order for each?

They come 10 in a pack. For the 1.0mm one pack is enough but for the much smaller .25mm and .50mm...........is 10 drill bits each enough?

Just received Fiber optic in .25mm .50mm and 1.0mm.

I have the Tamiya drill and tested the hole size for each.

I plan on using a #75 drill bit for the .5mm FO, a # 80 drill bit for the .25mm FO and a #62 drill bit for the 1.0mm FO

I used an .80mm piece of plastic for testing. All 3 size drill holes I tested has a nice snug fit. The FO will not slip out but it's not tight.

Thanks!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back