Revell 1/72 The Mandalorian Razor Crest by Moska

Moska

Sr Member
Hello friends.

I have decided that my new project will be the Mandalorian's Razor Crest ship for the following reasons:
1- I really like the design of the ship.
2- The Revell kit is really very well detailed. It's a nice kit and it's going to be fun to build.
3- The most important thing; This is the first time I've seen a toilet in a sci-fi spaceship. And it is included in the kit! :lol:(y)

I begin my work preparing the model to include lighting in the hold, cockpit and engines.

The side walls of the hold have good detail. For the wall lights, the kit proposes a decal but, if you want to add real lighting, it is necessary to drill those pieces carefully.

0001-Moska-RazorCrest-wall-lamps-01.jpg

The SMD1206 LEDs have a very appropriate size for those wall lamps. I cut the necessary LEDs separately, but I ran into the problem that there is hardly any surface to solder on the side poles of each individual LED. In addition, they have to be very close together, which leaves no room for welding. I tried sanding the bottom of an LED and, fortunately, some contacts appeared that were large enough to apply solder. Furthermore, by making the solders on the lower part of the LED, there was no longer any problem placing them so close together.

0002-Moska-RazorCrest-wall-lamps-02.jpg

I improvised a small template with pieces of aluminum and created a channel to place the LEDs in their correct position. I added some double-sided adhesive so they wouldn't move during soldering, and I was able to create the nine sets of three LEDs needed for the wall lamps. These assemblies are very fragile if we only hold them together with solder, so I glued a small metal plate to each one that keeps them rigid and strong.

0003-Moska-RazorCrest-wall-lamps-03.jpg 0004-Moska-RazorCrest-wall-lamps-04.jpg 0005-Moska-RazorCrest-wall-lamps-05.jpg 0006-Moska-RazorCrest-wall-lamps-06.jpg

On the back of the walls, I made some recesses to be able to insert the LEDs without them protruding. This is necessary because there is no free space between those pieces and the outer hull of the ship.

0007-Moska-RazorCrest-wall-lamps-07.jpg

Finally, I applied Milliput putty to each of those inserts and let it cure for 30 or 40 minutes. After that time, the putty still remains quite flexible, but it loses its adhesive power. We take advantage of this situation to impregnate both the putty and the LED groups themselves with talcum powder to make it even more difficult for the LEDs to adhere to the putty. Then I pressed each group of LEDs inside its corresponding wall lamp to create a perfect fit that prevents any light leakage. The groups of LEDs were previously numbered to assign each one a specific wall lamp. The LEDs are removed without problems and the putty is left to cure until the next day. Finally, once the putty has completely cured and hardened, we sand off the excess and go over the openings we had created in the lamps again. When the work inside the warehouse is finished, I can place the groups of LEDs in each lamp knowing that they will fit perfectly in their sockets.

0008-Moska-RazorCrest-wall-lamps-08.jpg

Now I'm working on the engine parts. Once again, in order to provide them with lighting, it is necessary to make quite a few cuts and perforations in these pieces. But the end result will be worth it.

0009-Moska-RazorCrest-engines-01.jpg 0010-Moska-RazorCrest-engines-02.jpg

Thanks for watching.
Rafa

I'll be building this model fairly soon so I'll be watching this with great interest! I did buy a replacement cockpit and engines from Shapeways so I could avoid all of the drilling around the nozzles. I just bought two small neopixel rings that are a nearly perfect fit for the engines, but I've never worked with an Arduino before so I'll have to see if I can figure out a cool startup lighting sequence myself or if I'll have to farm it out to someone who has some experience.

Great start!

Looks awesom. Mine is sitting in the box as I can’t decide flight or landed. Landed,as you illustrate,is a lot more work!

Good work on the interior lights - I'm currently amid a long build with lights but I'm printing lots of replacement parts. I decided that 3 LEDs per cluster was just too fiddly so commend your efforts!

I'll be building this model fairly soon so I'll be watching this with great interest! I did buy a replacement cockpit and engines from Shapeways so I could avoid all of the drilling around the nozzles. I just bought two small neopixel rings that are a nearly perfect fit for the engines, but I've never worked with an Arduino before so I'll have to see if I can figure out a cool startup lighting sequence myself or if I'll have to farm it out to someone who has some experience.

Great start!
Hi, thank you for your comment.
I am not used to buying aftermarket accessories. I prefer to face the challenge of finding my own solutions. It's more fun.
I have never worked with Arduino either, but I found a solution to simulate the engine lights that I am satisfied with. It involves using a combination of flickering LEDs and normal LEDs.
You can see the effect in this video I made when I built my Battlestar Galactica models. I hope you find it useful.

Looks awesom. Mine is sitting in the box as I can’t decide flight or landed. Landed,as you illustrate,is a lot more work!
The truth is that my intention is to expose it in flight mode. I have to find a good solution so that both the side and rear doors can be opened to see inside. But, when they are closed, they have to be a good fit. Without being too noticeable that they are moving parts.
I will also put in an additional switch just to activate the lights in the hold. We'll see how I solve it. :unsure:

Good work on the interior lights - I'm currently amid a long build with lights but I'm printing lots of replacement parts. I decided that 3 LEDs per cluster was just too fiddly so commend your efforts!
I also saw it as very complicated to put three LEDs in each wall light, but I like to try it in several ways before discarding the best option for improvement in a model. Fortunately, I had the right LEDs and found a way to attach and connect them properly. (y)

I also saw it as very complicated to put three LEDs in each wall light, but I like to try it in several ways before discarding the best option for improvement in a model. Fortunately, I had the right LEDs and found a way to attach and connect them properly. (y)
Wow that’s a lot more commitment than I have,I think just reading your plan has exhausted me and I will do a landed version! Oops replied to wrong comment,sorry.

Finally I have decided to display my model landed and with its three doors open so that the interior can be seen.
I've spent a lot of time on the interior, although I think that once it's finished, you don't see much, but...

COCKPIT:
I painted the walls and floor of the two rooms taking as reference images of the set used in the series.
0011-Moska-RazorCrest-cockpit-01.jpg

To avoid painting all the controls and buttons on the consoles, I drew the details of those areas on my computer and printed them on transparent decal paper. I painted the piece greenish gray and then painted the areas where I was going to glue the decals white.
I improved the main screen area and made openings to illuminate the two screens. To simulate the screen images, I printed them on white decal paper. And I glued those decals on 0.25 mm transparent styrene. To increase the color density, I printed the screens again, but this time on transparent decal paper, and placed them on top of the previous ones. To finish, I cut out the clear styrene pieces and glued them into their corresponding places. Both screens are illuminated with an LED each.
0012-Moska-RazorCrest-cockpit-02.jpg 0013-Moska-RazorCrest-cockpit-03.jpg 0016-Moska-RazorCrest-cockpit-07.jpg 0014-Moska-RazorCrest-cockpit-05.jpg

I also drilled various buttons on the front and side consoles with a 0.3 mm drill bit. I used 0.25 mm fiber optics to illuminate them and built a black box where I installed the LEDs from which they would take the light. I placed 6 different LEDs: white, red, yellow, blue, red flashing and alternating red/blue. With these colors I managed to give variety to the controls, although white and red predominate.
0015-Moska-RazorCrest-cockpit-06.jpg 0018-Moska-RazorCrest-cockpit-09.jpg 0019-Moska-RazorCrest-cockpit-10.jpg 0020-Moska-RazorCrest-cockpit-11.jpg 0021-Moska-RazorCrest-cockpit-12.jpg 0022-Moska-RazorCrest-cockpit-13.jpg

Since avoiding light leaks is always a problem that can cause a lot of headaches, I have built black boxes for almost all the parts that will have lighting. This way, the LEDs are locked in their boxes, the light only comes out where I want it to come out and I can forget about that problem.
0017-Moska-RazorCrest-cockpit-08.jpg 0042-Moska-RazorCrest-blackboxes-01.jpg 0043-Moska-RazorCrest-blackboxes-02.jpg 0044-Moska-RazorCrest-blackboxes-03.jpg

INTERIOR:
I painted the interior with the same colors that I used in the cockpit. I painted it as I saw fit and didn't follow the instructions on the kit.
I added some pipes and wires in the bathroom and, in the bedroom, I placed Grogu's web bed and some details on the back wall. In the hold I placed some boxes and barrels so that it wouldn't be so empty.
0023-Moska-RazorCrest-interior-01.jpg 0024-Moska-RazorCrest-interior-02.jpg 0025-Moska-RazorCrest-interior-03.jpg 0026-Moska-RazorCrest-interior-04.jpg 0027-Moska-RazorCrest-interior-05.jpg 0028-Moska-RazorCrest-interior-06.jpg

I also added grab handles to both sides of the side doors.
0029-Moska-RazorCrest-interior-07.jpg0030-Moska-RazorCrest-interior-08.jpg

To illuminate the interior, in the side lights, to prevent them from looking so hollow, I have also placed transparent styrene on which I have glued some decals.
I have also taken advantage of the gaps in the ceiling piece, those under the rear seats of the cockpit, to install two LEDs that will illuminate the bathroom and the bedroom.
I have also placed the four lights on both sides of the side doors and, finally, I have illuminated the buttons on a couple of panels on the walls of the hold.
0031-Moska-RazorCrest-interior-09.jpg 0032-Moska-RazorCrest-interior-10.jpg

ENGINES:
To create the lighting effect of the thrusters, I used 6 warm white LEDs, 6 3mm yellow flickering LEDs and 1 5mm white flickering LED on each thruster.

To make the black boxes for the thrusters I used a PVC plumbing pipe that fit perfectly into the interior space of the motors. I used a textured clear plastic as a diffuser screen and painted it with Tamiya clear orange to enhance the final color of the lights.
I also built 4 black boxes for the red lights on the top and bottom of both engines.
0033-Moska-RazorCrest-engines-03.jpg 0034-Moska-RazorCrest-engines-04.jpg

CANNONS:
I didn't like the front part of the cannons that come with the kit because they are not cylindrical. They are more oval. Like crushed cylinders.
I made new cylindrical parts with my mini-lathe to replace those parts. After removing the original parts, and before placing the new ones, I was able to hollow out the central part of the barrels more easily. I also improved some details on those pieces in general.
0035-Moska-RazorCrest-cannons-01.jpg 0036-Moska-RazorCrest-cannons-02.jpg 0037-Moska-RazorCrest-cannons-03.jpg

Once the interior is finished and everything related to the lighting has been solved, I am preparing the parts to paint the exterior fuselage. My idea is to use the Xtreme-Metal paints from AK Interactive. They are very similar to the Alclad and it is easier for me to get them in my city.

0038-Moska-RazorCrest-interior-10.jpg 0039-Moska-RazorCrest-interior-11.jpg 0040-Moska-RazorCrest-interior-12.jpg 0041-Moska-RazorCrest-interior-13.jpg

Thanks for looking at my thread.
Rafa

Last edited:
Great progress, it's looking really good! I like what you have done with the additional interior details - and the additional lights in the front of the cargo area. Now mine is all together, it's really dark up there, so it's well worth doing.

I've not been keeping up with the build log for mine but it's 99% finished now. One comment I'd make - I used the AK Xtreme Metal Polished Aluminium and it is not very durable - I ended up with lots of areas with worn patches that needed to be redone, and that was over the official AK gloss black base coat! I also found the base did not adhere to the plastic very strongly either. A surprise given how 'hot' these paints are.

Just exceptional
Many thanks, Modelerdave.

I used the AK Xtreme Metal Polished Aluminium and it is not very durable
Hi Antsnest.

Regarding those problems with the paint, I am suspecting the characteristics of the plastic in this kit. I've noticed that it doesn't respond as well as I'm used to with Tamiya extra thin cement. And I've also had some minor adhesion problems with the interior paint (tamiya acrylics).

I used AK's Xtreme paints on my Cylon Raider. And, for that model, I didn't even use primer because I didn't need a glossy finish. To age the appearance of the ship, I subjected the paint layer to several sessions of real torture, rubbing graphite dust vigorously. And the paint did not suffer the slightest apparent damage. I was convinced that this paint was really resistant.

Now I don't really know what to do. At the moment I have painted the thrusters and I have not had any incidents but, with your experience in this kit... you have raised doubts.:unsure:

Many thanks, Modelerdave.

Hi Antsnest.

Regarding those problems with the paint, I am suspecting the characteristics of the plastic in this kit. I've noticed that it doesn't respond as well as I'm used to with Tamiya extra thin cement. And I've also had some minor adhesion problems with the interior paint (tamiya acrylics).

I used AK's Xtreme paints on my Cylon Raider. And, for that model, I didn't even use primer because I didn't need a glossy finish. To age the appearance of the ship, I subjected the paint layer to several sessions of real torture, rubbing graphite dust vigorously. And the paint did not suffer the slightest apparent damage. I was convinced that this paint was really resistant.

Now I don't really know what to do. At the moment I have painted the thrusters and I have not had any incidents but, with your experience in this kit... you have raised doubts.:unsure:
As a counterpoint to this, I painted by 1/350 NX-01 entirely with AK Extreme Metal paints and had zero issues with multiple layers and lots and lots of masking. I put down a black base coat of Mr. Hobby 1500 Black Surfacer as a primer, then after applying the AK Extreme Metal color, I sealed everything with AK Interactive Intermediate Gauzy Agent Shine Enhance. Worked like a charm, and even with the extensive amount of masking I did, I had zero issues with paint pulling up.

As a counterpoint to this, I painted by 1/350 NX-01 entirely with AK Extreme Metal paints and had zero issues with multiple layers and lots and lots of masking. I put down a black base coat of Mr. Hobby 1500 Black Surfacer as a primer, then after applying the AK Extreme Metal color, I sealed everything with AK Interactive Intermediate Gauzy Agent Shine Enhance. Worked like a charm, and even with the extensive amount of masking I did, I had zero issues with paint pulling up.
Hi modelerdave. Thank you very much for your input. Any information resulting from experience is always very useful (y).
Well, in principle, I'm going to go ahead with my plan. I'll let you know if any problems arise with the paint.
As a base coat, I am debating whether to use glossy black Tamiya Acrylic, or AK Interactive's black Fine Primer. The AK primer has a matte finish, but I plan to "buff" that base coat and hope it makes a good base for the Xtreme metal color.
I have these doubts because I am still not sure what amount of shine and reflection will be adequate for a realistic finish of the ship.
We will see…

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back