Z-8p Custom Raygun

FreddySchramm

I'm doing a series on retro ray guns inspired by different decades, this was my first piece.

I made this early 2016 when I just finished putting together my 3d printer, I was very eager to try it.

Designed in Rhino and 3d-printed in PLA, I already knew how to use Rhino but this was a good way to practice more organic shapes.

The design is based off of several concept rocket ships my friend made for an art show, and pistols and weapons from Fallout.

Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 3.55.22 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-08 at 4.30.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-08 at 4.30.25 PM.png

The color scheme was selected because I grew up in the old Lustron homes ( metal houses that inspired the house designes from sanctuary hills in Fallout 4), it had this color scheme. I didn't notice the likeness to the Planet Express until after I applied it.

The aging is from muddy oil paints. My first chance to experiment with this and it came out great, gives it a nice greasy look. The dirt on top of that is just acrylic paint that was taken away with rubbing alcohol.

The base colors are Krylon spray paints. Except the barrel. I was playing around with Rub n Buff for that. I'll make another one of these again at some point but for next time I'm just going to cold cast the barrel in aluminum, and use washers for the rings.

Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 4.29.54 PM.png

Final product

Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 4.32.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 4.32.18 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-08 at 4.32.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-08 at 4.32.30 PM.png

Very cool design and lovely finishing. Is it just me or does it have a bit of a Gerry Anderson/Stingray kind of vibe to it?

Try combinations of red. yellow, green. silver/chrome and black. Those seemed to be the primary colors of the early era ray guns.

J

Awesome work! I am curious about your method for hiding print lines and part seams. Sanding and lots-o-fillers?

Sanding and Bondo plus a little bit of Zap a gap for the connecting parts lines. The overall 3d print lines i just used alot of spot putty with 200 grit going up. Next time I plan on using filler primer, works so much better!

- - - Updated - - -

Try combinations of red. yellow, green. silver/chrome and black. Those seemed to be the primary colors of the early era ray guns.

J

Thanks for the advice! I'll toy with those options.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back