YAFF - Yet Another 5 Footer Falcon Build

Upper shell glued and ready for a bit more detail
IMG_20220619_172201.jpg

and a bit more detail
IMG_20220613_105117.jpg

will focus on printing off some of the detailed parts I have already designed prior to printing the bottom half of the shell - still working on my landing gear, ramp design etc, so that might take a while.

Have started on the cockpit parts, that might also eventuate before the bottom half

Upper shell glued and ready for a bit more detail
View attachment 1589395

and a bit more detail
View attachment 1589396

will focus on printing off some of the detailed parts I have already designed prior to printing the bottom half of the shell - still working on my landing gear, ramp design etc, so that might take a while.

Have started on the cockpit parts, that might also eventuate before the bottom half
Very “crisp“ detail. Not sure how you and other experts produce this modeling with photography, CAD & printing, but those learned disciplines certainly seem to have been mastered. Great work and construction pictures. Shows what high quality can be achieved with this building method that links this technology to modeling of cherished subjects.

Thanks for the positive comments all - its definitely a labor of love...
If it wasn't for theRPF and all of the other builds, reference photos, kitset scans/photos etc, I wouldn't even be attempting this - the amount of reference material I have found is mind blowing.

So here's a bit of an update, (Yes I know its been a while, too many other things interfering)

If anyone wants to try any of these prints out themselves, feel free to touch base, and I'll send a dropbox link. I would suggest starting with the gunners turret. I haven't put these up before, as was wanting to get it more complete, but looks like its going to take another full year at least to get everything modeled and together.

I have printed the Bottom Frame, and added in the rear engine vents - its designed so I can run 2 LED Strips from inside the Model around the inside of the vents
IMG_20221101_133309.jpg

While doing this I did redesign some of the frame, the main one is I add mag mounting for the two gunner Turrets, so they can be easily removed, depending on how you want to display it. I am also adding Mag Mounting for the Docking Rings.
Part of the design for the Lower half of the saucer, was making allowances for the boarding ramp, and landing gear - which after quite a few attempts, I did end up with something I'm happy with.

So ended redoing the landing gear to allow for a coach bolt to support the weight.
IMG_20221128_090116.jpg
IMG_20221127_090743 (1).jpg

This are printed split as in the photos and joined with the standard pins I use for everything in this model

IMG_20221124_085731.jpg
IMG_20221122_170437.jpg

I have designed the inner jaw elements, another one that took a few attempts, mainly due to how I wanted to wire in the lighting, but haven't printed those out yet.

I am in the middle of writing a game so bear with me, that is taking up a large percentage of my spare time.
I was a game developer back in the 90s, and recently have tried to restart that career. (My wife thinks its part of my midlife crisis)
Sneak peek if anyone is interested - sorry not Star Wars related

Cheers Darrin

Great landing gears for sure :cool: :cool: (y) (y) Love the video game. Is there some kind of problems if the vehicle topples or is overtaken by the zombie?...or it's just a shoot' em, crush 'em, burn 'em to add to the body count? Love it btw:cool:

Great landing gears for sure :cool: :cool: (y) (y) Love the video game. Is there some kind of problems if the vehicle topples or is overtaken by the zombie?...or it's just a shoot' em, crush 'em, burn 'em to add to the body count? Love it btw:cool:
Thanks Joberg, yeah I did quite a few iterations getting the landing gear right as well - and making it easy to print.

The game is a pretty much shoot, burn n crush, the vehicle has steadying physics so it never ends up on its roof - if you are stationary for too long you do loose energy and they do now approach and attack your car. There are also now boss zombies, bigger and meaner, who will chase you as well
This was an older video, since then I have made quite a few changes, so about due to upload another video soon.
1 Million Zombies

Great job on your landing gear Dazza007. You certainly paid attention to the design details and fittings. I particularly like your ventilated, disc shaped skirts that surround the struts. Well done.

Thanks Joberg, yeah I did quite a few iterations getting the landing gear right as well - and making it easy to print.

The game is a pretty much shoot, burn n crush, the vehicle has steadying physics so it never ends up on its roof - if you are stationary for too long you do loose energy and they do now approach and attack your car. There are also now boss zombies, bigger and meaner, who will chase you as well
This was an older video, since then I have made quite a few changes, so about due to upload another video soon.
1 Million Zombies
This thread is a gift; not only we're seeing your wonderful MF build but also your video:cool::cool:(y)(y):notworthy::notworthy: (which I like very much...and your wife is wrong:lol:)

So here's a bit of an update, (Yes I know its been a while, too many other things interfering)

If anyone wants to try any of these prints out themselves, feel free to touch base, and I'll send a dropbox link. I would suggest starting with the gunners turret. I haven't put these up before, as was wanting to get it more complete, but looks like its going to take another full year at least to get everything modeled and together.

I have printed the Bottom Frame, and added in the rear engine vents - its designed so I can run 2 LED Strips from inside the Model around the inside of the vents
View attachment 1684108
While doing this I did redesign some of the frame, the main one is I add mag mounting for the two gunner Turrets, so they can be easily removed, depending on how you want to display it. I am also adding Mag Mounting for the Docking Rings.
Part of the design for the Lower half of the saucer, was making allowances for the boarding ramp, and landing gear - which after quite a few attempts, I did end up with something I'm happy with.

So ended redoing the landing gear to allow for a coach bolt to support the weight.
View attachment 1684109View attachment 1684110

This are printed split as in the photos and joined with the standard pins I use for everything in this model

View attachment 1684111View attachment 1684112

I have designed the inner jaw elements, another one that took a few attempts, mainly due to how I wanted to wire in the lighting, but haven't printed those out yet.

I am in the middle of writing a game so bear with me, that is taking up a large percentage of my spare time.
I was a game developer back in the 90s, and recently have tried to restart that career. (My wife thinks its part of my midlife crisis)
Sneak peek if anyone is interested - sorry not Star Wars related

Cheers Darrin
I just wanted a tomato from the greenhouse for my BLT, and look what I run into, sheesh, ; )

Dazzaa007,
Just revisited your post. Two quick observations;
1. Excellent Greeblie detail. Sure shows very close attention to the original kit parts including placement.

2. Landing gear uses original design drawing blueprints. Excellent. Carriage bolts will support a significant load. Looks like your casting ensures only the bolt heads take the weight when contacting the tarmac. Just make sure the other end screws into very strong thrust blocks that are firmly attached to your disk structure for transferring the upward thrust. If a nut is used, it’s embedment in the block, I learned by trial and error, it must be very secure.

Really nice work.

I assume the low-rez FDM prints of the underlying support structure is in PLA?
Truly amazing work! and a well thought out approach
May I ask whos plans you have based this on ? If Joshua's which version?
Thanks...sorry if my questions were already earlier in this thread.
Great Job!

I seem to miss so many threads here in this place.
I find it interesting that so many are tackling the 5 footer, but each in different unique ways.
Besides having no knowledge to model anything in 3D, or about to this whole 3D printing works, even still, I would feel a bit overwhelmed trying to attempt a 5 foot Falcon...plus not having the room at all for the build or display.

JediMichael,
I share your feelings about CAD & 3D printing. Embarrassed to admit I have not kept up with engineering technology.

Love your term “overwhelmed“ relative to a 5 foot Falcon. Perfect summation on how I feel at this stage of the build. Someone said you have to be crazy. That fits too.

I seem to miss so many threads here in this place.
I find it interesting that so many are tackling the 5 footer, but each in different unique ways.
Besides having no knowledge to model anything in 3D, or about to this whole 3D printing works, even still, I would feel a bit overwhelmed trying to attempt a 5 foot Falcon...plus not having the room at all for the build or display.
People seems to forget an available space seldom mentioned while discussing "Not having the room to display my model"...what about the ceiling?
I mean; plenty of room there! The site is not working today, so no emoji...but, I'm laughing.

People seems to forget an available space seldom mentioned while discussing "Not having the room to display my model"...what about the ceiling?
I mean; plenty of room there! The site is not working today, so no emoji...but, I'm laughing.
I've hung small models from fishing string from the ceiling before...but a 5 footer might be just a big too.....awesome. Imagine how much string would be needed.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back