Y-WING 'Gold Leader' Studio Scale Build by dtssyst

Could part 10 be two pieces? It looks like if you cut this part it would match half of it.

Attachments

• 0EA472E8-A54A-41F4-BA58-565BB8FD24C2.jpeg
    0EA472E8-A54A-41F4-BA58-565BB8FD24C2.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 73
Sorry to put this here dtssyst, if you want me to delete, just say so.

Does anyone know what this is from?
20210629_151306.jpg

Sorry to put this here dtssyst, if you want me to delete, just say so.

Does anyone know what this is from?View attachment 1627205
Yeah, no clue -- I've been scratching that itch for six years now, and to show for it just have a lot of raw skin at this point... I've always presumed it was a two-part greeblie comprising an airplane landing gear piece (right side) with one of the (6) rear-of-engine angled nibs making up the left side. To be specific, the closest guess was the idea that the nibs came from the small (not medium, not large) Roco 1/87 Z-132 Sperrhindernisse Antitank Obstacles kit (which gives you sm, med, lg in each kit), and the airplane piece came from a modified section of the Airfix 1/72 Heinkel He-177 landing gear covers: but NEITHER of those is actually correct, even though they make an "okay" substitute if you're desperate. I think only Dave Beasley actually "knows" as he's the one who first "realized" the Y-Wing from Joe Johnston's revised drawings of Colin Cantwell's original prop design, and first built it into a prop with, presumably, the Red Jammer Y-wing. But he's famously not available to answer e-mails, even though I'm told he's alive and well, but simply leads a very private life at this point. So long story short, it's a serendipitous moment still waiting to happen, and as far as I know, neither Msr. Tox nor Steve Neisen nor any of the other original gangsters of the hobby have figured this particular section out -- but I could be wrong, as always, and they could simply be keeping these secrets to themselves.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think Jason Eaton knows the ID of this greeblie, because I think he's the one who directed the Masterpiece Models greeblie pack that sells duplicates of it, and in that set it's accurate, as far as I can tell. So if he wants to tell us, that's his prerogative.

Yeah I've been looking for years and made the same assumptions as you. Two parts, anti tank and some kind of aircraft or ship piece. Unfortunately I've made the same progress as you. Thanks for the info. I haven't talked to Dave in years at this point.

swgeek, no worries.
I love when everyone gets together to try and solve or figure things out.
I'm not very talented in this area for model building. Far from it honestly.
I'm a builder/painter. Even then I question myself.

Not asking questions means the answer will not be known.

I supplied that part with the pattern I donated. If you need one you can get it here:

Craig
Craig,

Do you mean "you" were the one who created the part in CAD for the Masterpiece Models offering? And if yes, does that mean the original greeblie has still, to this day, never been ID'ed positively? Or did you make your CAD after finding/knowing the original?

Please clarify!

And regardless of your answer, thanks for the link to the Shapeways part -- I just put four of them in my cart.

SK

I feel like there's still a few. Like the rear steering vane area. Or maybe it's just no one is telling me. Haha
20221020_103356.jpg

Yeah the part Craig made (which is awesome) has never been IDed. Could have been one of those injection mold parts, so it could be a wacky conglomerate of disparate parts. From private photos we have discovered that Jim Mallasch worked on the armatures and made the weirdly complicated wooden master pattern forms that everything was planted on. Mallasch was only at ILM for a brief time in late 1975, a Detroit car hire by McCune. Mallasch was let go (I think before the '75 Xmas party) for being too "slow" for film production.
Pics show him working on the aluminum and machined acrylic armatures. Later pics show Paul Huston working on the Y-Wing wooden parts, and vacformed pieces. Dave Jones had/confirmed that the engine plant on assemblies were injection molded in house, as were the L'eggs "brackets" also seen on the Falcon, and the canopy as well.

I figured out one part is from Fujimi any 1/700 Iowa class ship. There's definitely small ships guns involved, just not sure which ones yet.

Fujimi 1_700 Iowa class.jpg

I "think" the following is the formula for the rear vectral greeblie subassembly, but corrections/revisions/suggestions always welcome:

Hasegawa 1/72 Sherman bogies
+
Fujimi 1/700 Iowa (or Missouri, or New Jersey)
+
Airfix 1/600 Scharnhorst Guns

One of my happy discoveries years ago was that the rings that surround the vertical/horizontal Sealab fins on this whole rear vectral assembly are from the Bandai/Entex 1/16 Rolls Royce 1908 silver Ghost "Balloon Car."

I'm going to go back and check again today, but it would be delightful (and ironic) if the un-ID'ed engine-can greeblie was "hiding in plain sight" in this kit all along.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back