Wrist Blade Gauntlet (functional)

Just a quick pick for those following this. I got the master done for my style of blade and made a mold. I used Polytek's Easyflo 95(a relatively soft and flexable plastic) for these and just got some Smooth cast 321 to try out next.

Here they are painted and paired up for the pics.
bladeFinished.jpg

bladeFinished.jpg

Fantastic job on the working blades. Could you implement that system into the gaunts that people sell here?
Possibly, I haven't had the opportunity to handle any. I know the retractable setups I've seen pictures of have a drawer slide rail for the blades and mounted to the base. That way the top cover is not integral to the function. My 'launch tube' is needed because it acts as the blade guide. I've designed a guide rod setup so that a tube or rail isn't necessary. That would allow for a decorative top and the clearance needed for the locks.

Oh, and Thanks! ;)

oh ok i see,..........

guess as long as the mechanics are right you can always deco the gaunlet after the basic stuff is done,.....
right on ,.....looks good buddy,.........

i want one

Thanks. :)

oh ok i see,..........

guess as long as the mechanics are right you can always deco the gaunlet after the basic stuff is done,.....
Pretty much.
What really had a relationship was the blade shape and how far they get to retract. If I curved the blades to be more like the movie then they wouldn't be able to go back as far.
It was pretty much about compromises in the mechanism to keep it looking right and getting it to work the way I wanted.

Greta work!
I may redo my blades to be more accurate. But I think I found a great way for them to slide in and out smoothly. I went to Lowes (home depot would carry them too) and bought some Drawer slides, the ones with the bearings. I cut a small section and fixed it to the blades then the grooved section that it slides on is mounted to the inside of the box. Mine are spring extracted by a string also. I used a spring I bought from Lowes and cut it down as needed for a good return. Then I used thse drawer latches they sale at Lowes that use two plastic rollers that use spring tension to grasp a metal clasp.
I push them in and they lock in place but are under spring tension and all they need is that little tug from the string---BAM--they extract out like a switchblade. Just thought I throw my 2 cents in.

Maybe I can take pictures of the inside of mine to show what I've done in a future post.

Sorry, I still don't intend on selling the gauntlet. When I'm happy with the blades I will sell those.

The gloves were generic 'Demon Hands' that I'm going to paint with my skin. I picked them up at spookshop.com during a sale. They can be found cheaper but watch shipping. http://www.halloweencostumes.com/devil-hands.html

They are a lycra glove with a vinyl over glove. I like them because they breath and they're priced right. :)
Gloves1.jpg

great job man, I would show you my work using leather gloves, which are more comfortable because they do not sweat as much as hands latex. painting is not good but who knows how to do well can get a good job

PC311661.JPG

PC311658.JPG

P1011664.JPG

P1031671.JPG

P1011663.JPG

P1031674.JPG

Gloves1.jpg

So my helmets progress was slowed and I got sidetracked by blades...

EDIT: This is the scaled up version of my son's proof of concept: http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=15423

I'm using 1/8"(.125") ABS plastic because I have a whole sheet of this stuff.

Going off of this reference pic, I drew up my blades.
BladeRef1.jpg

I made two templates using manila folder. One was made to be like the pic and the other is shorter and straight to facilitate the movement without being so damn long.

I made a plastic template so that I could have a more permanent template. Not that that matters, the folder paper lasts a while if it's not abused.

I cut my 15" X 2" stripes and glued them into pairs to double up the thickness to get to 1/4". Then taped them all together and traced out the blades.
BigBlades-1.jpg

I band sawed out the shape then clamped them into the vise and filed them down to match each other.

Once I had them separate I filed and roto-tooled them to detail them to resemble the reference pic. I rounded all of the edges and beveled the edges. Overall I'm not thrilled with the way they came out and I have some touch ups to do before I paint them.
BigBlades-2.jpg

This is the lot of blades.
BigBlades-3.jpg

Great work on the gauntlets. How much would it cost if I wanted to purchase one of these gauntlets from you?

BladeRef1.jpg

BigBlades-1.jpg

BigBlades-2.jpg

BigBlades-3.jpg

So my helmets progress was slowed and I got sidetracked by blades...

EDIT: This is the scaled up version of my son's proof of concept: http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=15423

I'm using 1/8"(.125") ABS plastic because I have a whole sheet of this stuff.

Going off of this reference pic, I drew up my blades.
BladeRef1.jpg

I made two templates using manila folder. One was made to be like the pic and the other is shorter and straight to facilitate the movement without being so damn long.

I made a plastic template so that I could have a more permanent template. Not that that matters, the folder paper lasts a while if it's not abused.

They look great man, congrats! Do you sell them also? They look quite detailed and realistic!

I cut my 15" X 2" stripes and glued them into pairs to double up the thickness to get to 1/4". Then taped them all together and traced out the blades.
BigBlades-1.jpg

I band sawed out the shape then clamped them into the vise and filed them down to match each other.

Once I had them separate I filed and roto-tooled them to detail them to resemble the reference pic. I rounded all of the edges and beveled the edges. Overall I'm not thrilled with the way they came out and I have some touch ups to do before I paint them.
BigBlades-2.jpg

This is the lot of blades.
BigBlades-3.jpg

BladeRef1.jpg

BigBlades-1.jpg

BigBlades-2.jpg

BigBlades-3.jpg

Great work on the gauntlets. How much would it cost if I wanted to purchase one of these gauntlets from you?
I still don't make these for sale.

Of course I have the intensions... but I haven't revisited my gauntlets is a while. Other odd priorities.

I got some good progress done in the last few days. Slow going but ever forward...
I mated the blades with the block to hold them together and now they are a sub assembly. I formed the top and bottom of the action tube and have it screwed together. I have a temporary rubber band in it so that I can test the fit and function of the latch. I still need to finish shaping the tube and then I can start on the decorating it and turning it into a gauntlet.

The sub assemblies:
BigBlades-4.jpg

them together:
BigBlades-5.jpg

the action:
th_MOV07492_mpeg1video.jpg

I'll post a better video after I get is edited.
If I am not mistaken I saw a video with some pretty similar gauntlets he was able to take the case off and change it for each suit: Besurker, Celtic, ect.

BigBlades-4.jpg

BigBlades-5.jpg

th_MOV07492_mpeg1video.jpg

Never mind found it. What do you mean you laminated the blades together?
Laminate simply means to layer the material. In this case I used ABS glue to glue the hair cell sides(the wrinkly sides) of two stripes of ABS plastic together. Then when it's cured, I cut the outline of the blades out.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back