Would Arnold still work out in Terminator 5?

CSMacLaren

Sr Member
I've been thinking a lot about Terminator 5. Here is an aging Arnold who isn't quite in "tip-taaahp-shape" as he was. Would it be a mistake for the scriptwriters to write in an aged Arnold? Would the "living tissue" over the metal endoskeleton age? (Which suggests that a T-101/800 got boxed somewhere for 20+ years). Would movie viewers even want to see and old arnold?

I think some of the recent negativity towards a CG Arnold is due to how poorly the MacG arnold looked. In Tron: Legacy, Clu looked decent in some shots, but kinda lousy in others. Even the director had said that the age regression didn't look 100%, one hundred percent of the time.

However, it's possible.

First, the McG film's Arnold looked like a painted texture over a 3D model. I didn't get a sense that the skin had any translucence as I did when watching Benjamin Button.

Second, it can't be that hard to find a plaster casting of Arnold from back in the T1 days or from any movie filmed within 5 years of the original Terminator. When you take a casting of an aged actor and try to regress the age in the sculpt, you have to factor in bone and muscle degeneration, and not just sagging skin. It may be that you'd just have to get the most talented sculptor possible, scan the sculpt, and build a 3D model off of that with skin translucence.

Third, there's Roland Kickinger. His form and build made for a very convincing Arnold. In Tron Legacy, Clu was portrayed by a younger actor who provided the body. That actor mimicked Bridges' performance, and Bridges had white dots on his face for motion capture data that gave the 3D model of Clu's head life.

So the way I see it, Arnold would act with dots on his face. Roland would duplicate the performance. Motion capture could still control a 3D younger Arnold head. That Arnold head would be critical to the success of the film.

Yes, it can be done... someone basically has to do it right. It would be funny if the replica prop community did something to show the studios what level of quality is possible if you really put your heart to it.

Possible, but...why? Other than the fact that fanbois like to see Arnold, there's never been much reason that the franchise needs him. It was a nice idea in Salvation to show the first Arnie coming off the assembly line as a cameo, but it's a big world, only made smaller by featuring the same tehrmonahtor over and over and over again.

The story is about the Connors, not a terminator.

Younger people barely remember that he was a governor, let alone a movie star.

Instead of 'homages' to previous movies, a film should make memorable things for itself.

Well, I think Mac posted this because Shwarzapooper recently stated that he felt the franchise had gone off track and he would like to return it to what worked, and if memory serves he basically said he was what worked and that he intends to return to the franchise.

I think having him as a terminator now is possible because it's science fiction. He doesn't need to be CGI'd, the story can simply be tailored to Skynet needing to produce an older looking model, and there you go. Personally, I think audiences would be just fine with Kickinger playing a terminator without changing him as well, it just seems like a natural fit to me. I still think pasting Arnold's face on him for Salvation was needless.

My gut feeling with this is Arnold wont be a Terminator in this next film but he'll be the human that Skynet used to clone the living tissue from.

I think it would be interesting to have him play a different role this time 'round.

Okay, big Terminator fan here. Big Arnold fan here (at least when he was my inspiration to get into bodybuilding).

I do not want to see Arnold as a 65 year old Terminator. I don't care what kind of shape he gets into, if they CG the wrinkles out of his face etc. No thank you. Please don't. Just... don't.

If they decide to make him a human character this time around- I might be up for that. However if he is the template for the 101... I just won't be able to get the Sgt Candy deleted scene from T3 out of my head.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles had several different baddie Terminators running amok in LA, and I had zero problem with there being no "Arnold" model present. One actor (in one of the Future War scenes with Kyle and Derek) playing a Terminator had these "dead" eyes. They just looked like a shark's eyes- used for seeing, but no life behind them (to steal a phrase from Jaws). I bought that guy as a Terminator 100%!

So I see no problem with just going with another actor for a new "bad" Terminator. Doesn't even have to be built like a brick **** house; the T-1000 wasn't. ;)

Kevin

Not to mention it was established in the original film that not all terminators looked like Arnold (a lot of people overlook the future scene with the terminator attacking the human base, and it was not Arnold). In fact, it wasn't until the second film that we got the idea that there could even be duplicates of a particular model. After all, their goal is infiltration.. not so good if they all look alike, yeah?

So they absolutely need to branch out into other models of the T-800. And yes, I could totally buy Roland Kickinger in the role, sans Arnie-face.

Off topic:
I want to see the future war from T1 and T2. A bunch of guys in F-150's and jeep comanche's with guns mounted on the backs, throwing pipe bombs at HK's and endo skeletons.

In the future, the majority of terminators don't need to blend in. Just the ones trying to infiltrate the resistance. I always feel the future war would feel like that scene in aliens when they raise the ceiling tile... Just hopeless.

But that's what makes for good storytelling. Hope.

On topic:
I think aged arnold could easily fit into the storytelling. In fact, he could be IN the resistance. He could be a supporter of sky net. He could be a crazy old guy living in the woods just trying to survive. Easily.

I would love to see Arnold in another Terminator film, as long as his role is anything other than a terminator. There is no need to see a 65 year old man running around like an ageless killing machine. Even if he got "back in shape," it just wouldn't feel right.

Arnold+s+new+ride+iNxl7_eppNSl.jpg

dont see a problem with his physical shape. seems in better shape than in t3 by far. the face is the problem, but they can probably unage him with some appliances.

the question is, do we need t5?

I think he should play a German composer in his next film. That way he can say...

"I'll be Bach!" ;)

Seriously though, I think Arnie COULD do it. SHOULD he do it is the question. The psycho-analizing T-800 from T3 was a bit... odd. I've always understood a Terminator to be less of a talker and more of a doer. But T2 sort of killed that. Still, even in T2 when the fighting started, Arnie was the silent type most of the time.

Now Arnie as a human, that might actually make some sense. Imagine a real resistance mind screw if Skynet chose a human Arnie character to be a template for its infiltrator model (by getting ahold of a tissue sample) because he perhaps could be some wildcard to the resistance (say a really great military leader from Europe? an equal to John Connor in terms of rallying the troops and skill). So by making a Terminator version, you get the resistance thinking that he is a cyborg and they will want to shoot on sight... solving Skynet's problem for it. Sure, Sgt. Candy would be toast, but that was intended to be a "mess with the audience" moment anyway.

How about Arnold as a human killing machine. I mean a human, who is just a no conscious killer. Walking through t-800s. Just a complete no fear bad ass.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back