Would Arnold still work out in Terminator 5?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by CSMacLaren, Apr 18, 2012.

1. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

I've been thinking a lot about Terminator 5. Here is an aging Arnold who isn't quite in "tip-taaahp-shape" as he was. Would it be a mistake for the scriptwriters to write in an aged Arnold? Would the "living tissue" over the metal endoskeleton age? (Which suggests that a T-101/800 got boxed somewhere for 20+ years). Would movie viewers even want to see and old arnold?

I think some of the recent negativity towards a CG Arnold is due to how poorly the MacG arnold looked. In Tron: Legacy, Clu looked decent in some shots, but kinda lousy in others. Even the director had said that the age regression didn't look 100%, one hundred percent of the time.

However, it's possible.

First, the McG film's Arnold looked like a painted texture over a 3D model. I didn't get a sense that the skin had any translucence as I did when watching Benjamin Button.

Second, it can't be that hard to find a plaster casting of Arnold from back in the T1 days or from any movie filmed within 5 years of the original Terminator. When you take a casting of an aged actor and try to regress the age in the sculpt, you have to factor in bone and muscle degeneration, and not just sagging skin. It may be that you'd just have to get the most talented sculptor possible, scan the sculpt, and build a 3D model off of that with skin translucence.

Third, there's Roland Kickinger. His form and build made for a very convincing Arnold. In Tron Legacy, Clu was portrayed by a younger actor who provided the body. That actor mimicked Bridges' performance, and Bridges had white dots on his face for motion capture data that gave the 3D model of Clu's head life.

So the way I see it, Arnold would act with dots on his face. Roland would duplicate the performance. Motion capture could still control a 3D younger Arnold head. That Arnold head would be critical to the success of the film.

Yes, it can be done... someone basically has to do it right. It would be funny if the replica prop community did something to show the studios what level of quality is possible if you really put your heart to it.

2. batboyme

batboyme New Member

guy is so far gone its not even funny .

3. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

Possible, but...why? Other than the fact that fanbois like to see Arnold, there's never been much reason that the franchise needs him. It was a nice idea in Salvation to show the first Arnie coming off the assembly line as a cameo, but it's a big world, only made smaller by featuring the same tehrmonahtor over and over and over again.

4. terryr

terryr Sr Member

The story is about the Connors, not a terminator.

Younger people barely remember that he was a governor, let alone a movie star.

Instead of 'homages' to previous movies, a film should make memorable things for itself.

5. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Well, I think Mac posted this because Shwarzapooper recently stated that he felt the franchise had gone off track and he would like to return it to what worked, and if memory serves he basically said he was what worked and that he intends to return to the franchise.

I think having him as a terminator now is possible because it's science fiction. He doesn't need to be CGI'd, the story can simply be tailored to Skynet needing to produce an older looking model, and there you go. Personally, I think audiences would be just fine with Kickinger playing a terminator without changing him as well, it just seems like a natural fit to me. I still think pasting Arnold's face on him for Salvation was needless.

6. Werstrooper

Werstrooper Well-Known Member

My gut feeling with this is Arnold wont be a Terminator in this next film but he'll be the human that Skynet used to clone the living tissue from.

I think it would be interesting to have him play a different role this time 'round.

7. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

Okay, big Terminator fan here. Big Arnold fan here (at least when he was my inspiration to get into bodybuilding).

I do not want to see Arnold as a 65 year old Terminator. I don't care what kind of shape he gets into, if they CG the wrinkles out of his face etc. No thank you. Please don't. Just... don't.

If they decide to make him a human character this time around- I might be up for that. However if he is the template for the 101... I just won't be able to get the Sgt Candy deleted scene from T3 out of my head.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles had several different baddie Terminators running amok in LA, and I had zero problem with there being no "Arnold" model present. One actor (in one of the Future War scenes with Kyle and Derek) playing a Terminator had these "dead" eyes. They just looked like a shark's eyes- used for seeing, but no life behind them (to steal a phrase from Jaws). I bought that guy as a Terminator 100%!

So I see no problem with just going with another actor for a new "bad" Terminator. Doesn't even have to be built like a brick **** house; the T-1000 wasn't. ;)

Kevin

8. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Sr Member

Not to mention it was established in the original film that not all terminators looked like Arnold (a lot of people overlook the future scene with the terminator attacking the human base, and it was not Arnold). In fact, it wasn't until the second film that we got the idea that there could even be duplicates of a particular model. After all, their goal is infiltration.. not so good if they all look alike, yeah?

So they absolutely need to branch out into other models of the T-800. And yes, I could totally buy Roland Kickinger in the role, sans Arnie-face.

9. Robert412

Robert412 Well-Known Member

Off topic:
    I want to see the future war from T1 and T2. A bunch of guys in F-150's and jeep comanche's with guns mounted on the backs, throwing pipe bombs at HK's and endo skeletons.

In the future, the majority of terminators don't need to blend in. Just the ones trying to infiltrate the resistance. I always feel the future war would feel like that scene in aliens when they raise the ceiling tile... Just hopeless.

But that's what makes for good storytelling. Hope.

On topic:
    I think aged arnold could easily fit into the storytelling. In fact, he could be IN the resistance. He could be a supporter of sky net. He could be a crazy old guy living in the woods just trying to survive. Easily.

10. Neoproks

Neoproks Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would love to see Arnold in another Terminator film, as long as his role is anything other than a terminator. There is no need to see a 65 year old man running around like an ageless killing machine. Even if he got "back in shape," it just wouldn't feel right.

11. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Only thing that would work at all is if he played a human.

12. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

The real question to be asking is do we even need a Terminator 5?

13. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

I know I made a comment, but it was in another thread.

14. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

[​IMG]

dont see a problem with his physical shape. seems in better shape than in t3 by far. the face is the problem, but they can probably unage him with some appliances.

the question is, do we need t5?

15. Robert412

That guy looks like a killer... That's all I'm sayin.

16. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

Everything after T2 has been absolute ****.

17. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

I know eh? That U V W X Y and Z sucked!!!

Oooooooo and now my joke post makes no sense with your edit. :lol

Kevin

18. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Never count him out.

I think he could still pull it off!

19. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

I think he should play a German composer in his next film. That way he can say...

"I'll be Bach!" ;)

Seriously though, I think Arnie COULD do it. SHOULD he do it is the question. The psycho-analizing T-800 from T3 was a bit... odd. I've always understood a Terminator to be less of a talker and more of a doer. But T2 sort of killed that. Still, even in T2 when the fighting started, Arnie was the silent type most of the time.

Now Arnie as a human, that might actually make some sense. Imagine a real resistance mind screw if Skynet chose a human Arnie character to be a template for its infiltrator model (by getting ahold of a tissue sample) because he perhaps could be some wildcard to the resistance (say a really great military leader from Europe? an equal to John Connor in terms of rallying the troops and skill). So by making a Terminator version, you get the resistance thinking that he is a cyborg and they will want to shoot on sight... solving Skynet's problem for it. Sure, Sgt. Candy would be toast, but that was intended to be a "mess with the audience" moment anyway.

20. Robert412

How about Arnold as a human killing machine. I mean a human, who is just a no conscious killer. Walking through t-800s. Just a complete no fear bad *.

21. gonk27

gonk27 Sr Member

:lol .. he'd have to be Haydn his face in shame after that classically bad pun!

I really like that idea. The handy thing about time travel is that the Sgt Candy scene can be over-written by a character time travelling and history being altered, as in the world of Star Trek.

22. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

One word: no. He was already too old in T3. Don't buy it.

As a human character, sure. Definitely the template for the Terminator in T1 (and T2 - discounting T3 altogether). Could have been part of a black ops military project to harvest the genes from the best soldiers and stored for future scientific research - a facility later seized by Skynet after the nuclear war. Or he was one of the first captured and sampled by Skynet for future use.

The battle seen in T2 is clearly a suicide battle, seeing as no one in their right mind would take on a superior force like that and expect to win. Seems to me the only logical explanation for that battle is the final assault on Skynet before Reese is sent back. In combat against a superior force you'll employ hit and run guerrilla tactics like seen in T1, where you hide and then strike, then hide again. That way you lose less people... and when dealing with an enemy that can replenish it's ranks with the next one off the assembly line, you'd like to preserve the few fighters you have at your disposal, as there aren't any replacements for them - once they are gone... they are gone. That's why Skynet built Terminators... because of those hit and run tactics that the Hunter Killers couldn't handle.

There's only one way to save the franchise... and it's not more time altering nonsense... but no one's got the balls to do it.

23. Nataku

Nataku Sr Member

That did happen in an edited out scene in T3.

24. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

God no. But making a Terminator 5 in general? Yes please!

25. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

There are plenty of other models of terminators out there without needing liquid metal silliness. The comics have tons of other models and the T800 has been known to have other faces and body shapes in the comics.

26. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

[​IMG]

Back in 1984 Terminators were not all the same.

27. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

Yeah, but "Crazy Hobo Drifter" killer, not "unstopable robot perfection" killer.

28. Trallis

Trallis Well-Known Member

You can make all the Indian Jones movies you want because aging happens to humans. Arnold still loooked just good enough for T3, but its not gonna work anymore. Machines don't age. The Terminator looks like Arnold from when it's one day old until it dies.

29. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Here he is in Expendables 2.

[​IMG]

His look reminded me of T1 a little. But yes, he's too old to try and play the same model terminator.

30. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Yeah, unless the Terminator's neck melted, Arny just can't do it.

31. The Terminator

The Terminator Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

T5? Only if Cameron writes and directs it, otherwise no thanks. Cameron won't do it. He's made that clear. And arnie definitely doesn't need to be in it. It's John's story. About his so-called fate, about a machine trying to kill it's creator. About a guy traveling through time to meet the woman of his dreams. About a woman raising her child to save the world.

Maaaaaybe if Cameron at least wrote the script it might be good.

AMEN.

You're right. That is the very last battle against Skynet. Just before the resistance wins the war :D

T-850 actually.

....never happened(thank god :p) since it's not in the film.

32. Too Much Garlic

With a few tweaks, T2 could work for me. Setting it in August '97, with pretty much the story as-is, but now with a countdown race against time throughout, with both Sarah and John caught in Los Angeles so close to Judgment Day, so she busts out in a desperate attempt to find her son and get the hell out of dodge, not knowing the terminators have arrived, as Reese never mentioned others coming through, so, she gets saved, they bust out, and head for the desert, but Sarah presses the issue regarding Skynet and its creator and goes back to kill him. John follows her, but get persuaded by the idea of stopping Skynet before it becomes self aware and with the aid of Dyson they break into Cyberdyne to destroy all his work. However, their attack is what causes Skynet to become self-aware and as they flee, they end up in a fallout shelter, as the bombs fall.

Taking the best from T2 and T3 and merging it into one and cutting away the rest of the crap.

THAT's the T2 I would have loved to be part of the T1 timeline. As it is now... it just doesn't make sense to me. Man... I can dream, can't I? I know... dreaming about it doesn't make it so... but it's a nice dream and I don't want to wake up yet.

33. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

It would be interesting to see Arnold in a T5 but as others have said, not as a Terminator but as a human. It would be an interesting idea to have him as the inspiration or template for the T100s that we've seen but that wouldn't work so well with him at 65, at least not in him still acting as the template or still in captivity with Skynet or whatever. I kind of like the idea of him being a crazy old man in the woods sort of thing, he could have been a prisoner of Skynet for some years acting as the template but then escaped. However, that wouldn't make much sense since it would be highly unlikely that something as sophisticated as Skynet would need to have kept any prisoners around for more than however long it would take to scan them, once done scanning there wouldn't/shouldn't be need to keep them around any longer unless, for some odd reason, they wanted to be able to create older looking versions of the same templates.

34. Too Much Garlic

Err... DNA... they can make the subject any age. Doesn't matter what the age of the source is. .)

They could have his frozen DNA and life casts from a military super soldier project from before the nuclear war. Your idea of the crazy loon in the woods is cool... having an old Arnie running around with conspiracy theories about Skynet and the sources it uses to make the Terminator skins... and such. .)

35. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

He did his part great in T1 and T2, but its time to start showing other faces

36. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Cameron isn't going to return to the franchise. Best to let that go entirely.

37. Xenuprime

Xenuprime Member

I wish they had just shown a young Arnold being snatched up by a harvester. It would have made sense if he were a rebel, and skynet wanted to copy him to infiltrate their base.

38. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Time to age gracefully. Clint Eastwood is doing 'old man parts'. Stallone is playing 'the aged warrior'.
    There's an age limit for certain roles.

39. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

Or combine the two ideas--he's living way out in the woods by himself because of the guilt he feels over being one of Skynet's models for these nearly indestructible killing machines.

I rather like what Eastwood had to say about why he doesn't play younger characters: "You know when you're young and you see a play in high school, and the guys all have gray in their hair and they're trying to be old men and they have no idea what that's like? It's just that stupid the other way around."

40. The Terminator

The Terminator Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The crazy old man in the woods sounds an awful lot like McG :lol

:confused what movies have you been watching?? Cause I have mostly just seen T-800, 600, 700 and a single T-1000.

41. terminator68

terminator68 Active Member

the first terminator was a T101

42. Too Much Garlic

No. he was a T800, Cyberdyne Systems MODEL 101. Same as the one in the second movie. It was only in T3 that idiots started ****ing up the labels, with the T101 crapo. Clearly "fanboys" of the series, my *.

43. Rycraft

Rycraft New Member

This. But the nomeclature for the Machines has just been getting more and more convoluted with time.

T2 is my favourite all-time film..T3 was okay because of Arnie..T4 was rubbish. They said it was going to be all about the future war, not some subplot. Marcus was actually a more interesting character than Bale's John. I don't know. Moon Bloodgood was hot though.

I'm..not convinced about T5. Last I heard they had plans to just scrap and reboot, remaking 1-3.... =(

44. Too Much Garlic

There would just be no reason to reboot from 1. None at all. They won't be able to capture what made the first one great.

45. Rycraft

Rycraft New Member

My sentiments exactly. Corporate greed. I mean, come on, they're rebooting spiderman! And the original reboot is less than 10yrs old! Hopefully this one doesn't suck though. Anyway.

46. Too Much Garlic

As mentioned before... all they have to do is get good writers, a good director, a good composer and a good cast and they could do one hell of a future war series of movies, if only they actually took the time and adhered to what Reese said all throughout T1 and not trying to make it different because "oh, people would be bored because they already know what happens" kind of idiotic logic.

Only morons think like that, because if that was so, then you couldn't make films based on books or plays or real events, because people have possibly read those, seen those or know about those too beforehand... so... with that logic, none of those should be possible to make. Yet... good screenwriters, good directors and good actors DO and make it entertaining and worth watching.

It's a lazy approach and lazy writing to not be able to make something people already know exciting. We know certain facts from Reese... yet, there are also so many things we don't know... and THAT's where the writers can inject their creativity... not **** around with established facts because... for whatever reason they choose to **** things up.

Someone who really burns for good story telling should be fed the facts established by Reese in T1 and he should then try to create a story from those facts... and seeing as things span over a long time period... it could even be as much as a trilogy of films.

T1 was a rather low-budget science fiction thriller... so a huge budget with loads of explosions and CGI is not the right approach for making this successful. We've already SEEN huge budget films with loads of explosions and they usually suck donkey balls and have no real compelling story or characters. The effects should really be secondary to the story and the characters... and the effects should go for quality over quantity - make the dollars count in a meaningful way - and approach the film from that standpoint.

I'd vote for Hans Zimmer to do the score, as he's the composer I think could bring back the Brad Fiedel feel to the score, seeing as Brad has retired.