Working Logan's Run DS gun. Small torch vs. chemical reaction?

It’s becoming clearer with each of your recent posts that you do not indeed understand the workings of this prop.

I have had mine for 14 years now and it still fires like the day I got it.

Rys last guns sold for if I am not mistaken for 1000.00 to 1500.00 .

The reason why no one has tackled this is that it is a very hard Prop to pull off

I wish you luck in your search......

I appreciate the suggestion, but I view 95% of this particular item's value as being in the effect and only about 5% or less for the gun/works housing.

The gun itself is cool and minimalist, but I'm already getting that with the BlasterCore/Green LED version. Beyond that I'd need the full effect, and I'm not confident in the safety or long-term reliability of something that was twitchy to begin with and is now quite a few years old.

I've seen quite a few used ones for sale over the years, but I've never seen or been tempted to plunk down anywhere near that that kind of wampum. They tend to be scratched and worn, with questionable care evident. Plus I'm concerned about proper maintenance, storage, seals, safety, reliability, and longevity. On top of that, I probably couldn't fix if it broke.

Maybe there are some good examples out there that are effectively NOS at those prices, but for the most part the examples I've seen aren't worth much to me. In fact, that price point sounds way high even for a new one. The parts count and cost isn't significant, and "limited edition," or "low stock/rare," is illusory with fan-made stuff because it vanishes the minute someone else does a run.

Nobody's tackled this one in a long time that I'm aware of, and I've always wondered why. The knowledge is there, there's certainly a demand, and a good release would take care of the liability concerns. Much more dangerous stuff is routinely released with nothing more than a clickwrap or, even, nothing at all.

Who knows? Maybe someone else will get the urge to do one. I just hope I'm not on hiatus AGAIN when it comes.

That drawing does not represent the real build of the gun...

Just a question from a laymen on the subject.
Looking at the drawing above of the trigger and valve set up, when there is a gas present in the CC/water (Acetylene) tank
and the trigger is pressed, it will release the gas.
Question: As long as the trigger is activated (pressed in), will gas continue to be released like a butane lighter
and if it were burning, continue like a torch (an undesirable outcome)?
There doesn't seem to be a set up for a "one shot" safety release feature of the valve to stop the flame effect, so the gas,
if not ignited will fill any voids near it and if enough gas is released in to any voids, and then set on fire, wouldn't it
have a bit of a volatile fire release? Much like filling your cupped hand with Butane and setting it on fire.

Thanks for the response.
So, by holding down the trigger, gas won't keep coming out like a torch or does the user (actor) have to release it quickly
just after each shot?
I guess during filming they could easily show the action of the flame and then edit out any "lingering flames" and
then cut back in after it was fired for the close up shots.

On Youtube there are a few versions of the flame and none of them show the "hard flash" of 4 flames as seen
on the show.
And most show a lot of black sooty smoke and lazy flame.
It would be nice to see an actual working replica version (from the plans above) and not loose fan made approximations.
Many just show a flashing light reflecting off a wall.

I watch people blow themselves up on purpose every single day in order to harm themselves and others just to prove a point. They use fire, explosives and anything they get their hands on. To see someone actually want to plan something like this for fun is odd for me. What’s that saying again...oh yeah, if you play with fire, you’re gonna get burned. What practical purpose does this hold as a prop? Asking for a friend.

Lol, yeah I asked. I just don’t consider it a prop at that point. It’s a weapon. Same goes for the live fire Han Solo jobs out there. They look the part, but still a gun, it’s a gun, not a prop. Yours is a purpose built weapon. In a controlled environment it’s nice to have but at the end of the day it can’t be displayed on a desktop with kids around because of what it isn’t. Trust me, as a gun owner and former law, I understand it for the cool factor, I’m just trying to understand the practical purpose in the prop world.

i don’t know what is so confusing, It’s a prop that was used in a Movie.

It can be displayed with no harm coming to anybody, and i to am a gun owner

Lol, yeah I asked. I just don’t consider it a prop at that point. It’s a weapon. Same goes for the live fire Han Solo jobs out there. They look the part, but still a gun, it’s a gun, not a prop. Yours is a purpose built weapon. In a controlled environment it’s nice to have but at the end of the day it can’t be displayed on a desktop with kids around because of what it isn’t. Trust me, as a gun owner and former law, I understand it for the cool factor, I’m just trying to understand the practical purpose in the prop world.

You need to see one of rylos with a good load of CC.

There were some up years ago i cant do a video of mine but i can get a healthy 5 flame flash out of mine.

As I posted above those plans leave a few things out .....

On Youtube there are a few versions of the flame and none of them show the "hard flash" of 4 flames as seen
on the show.
And most show a lot of black sooty smoke and lazy flame.
It would be nice to see an actual working replica version (from the plans above) and not loose fan made approximations.
Many just show a flashing light reflecting off a wall.

It’s becoming clearer with each of your recent posts that you do not indeed understand the workings of this prop.

I have had mine for 14 years now and it still fires like the day I got it.

Rys last guns sold for if I am not mistaken for 1000.00 to 1500.00 .

The reason why no one has tackled this is that it is a very hard Prop to pull off

I wish you luck in your search......

Why do you think I don't understand the workings of the prop? My knowledge of butane is clearly lacking, but the prop's mechanism of operation isn't complicated. I just know my limitations, and most importantly I almost never buy stuff used. Especially things mechanical.

I have no reason to trust the prior owner and no idea what I'll be getting. I know some folks think that's silly, and that's fine. They can buy used gear at prices they find fair, and I'm not going to be patronizing with them, assume my own views on the subject are the only ones, or otherwise call them out no matter how I feel about it.

Because it seems inevitable that someone with the skills and tooling will make more working DS guns at some point, when they do the used ones will tumble. I'm sure Rylo's a good guy, but I just want a working gun. I don't care who made it or how many, so those things have no value to me.

Yes, the market will bear, but diamonds only command their price because their supply is artificially controlled. I'd never buy one for that reason, and for the same reason I'd never pay anything like $5K for a used DS gun. I'm happy to wait, as I've waited for years already. If the well remains dry and I simply must have one, I'm sure I can commission one for much less than $5K.

This is analogous to the car dealers who tried to sell me used examples of a certain heavily allocated car I was trying to get. They wanted more than the new sticker price. which I thought was ridiculous. Granted, I had to wait two years for an allocation, and I'm sure other folks bought the used ones, but it was all upside for me in the end. I got two extra years to save so I'd feel better about it, I got an improved design for less money, and I'll never have to worry about what a prior owner may have done with it.

To be frank, this right here perfectly illustrates that you really have no clue as to how complicated this prop is,

Make no mistake I am not trying to be harsh with you just trying to better inform you of the reality of what you are seeking.

As far as someone coming along and doing another run, i just don’t see that happening

It has been15 years since Ry did his and no one has stepped up to the plate and I do know what Rylo went through to produce these.

If this was such a simple and uncomplicated Prop to make there would have been many more runs of them done by now.

Regardless I wish you well in your quest as they say “Hope is eternal”

? but the prop's mechanism of operation isn't complicated.

...and wear protection (y)
backfire.gif

To be frank, this right here perfectly illustrates that you really have no clue as to how complicated this prop is,

/snip
Make no mistake I am not trying to be harsh with you just trying to better inform you of the reality of what you are seeking.

OK.

I'm not in any way minimizing what Rylo did, but the fact remains that the mechanism of operation is indeed quite simple, it's the implementation that's hard. I imagine it was a nightmare to build, and it remains a tremendous accomplishment not since replicated (but, then, how many people would be motivated to try? Many if not most have no idea that people collect prop replicas in the first place). Hence my (repeated) acknowledgment of not only my own limitations but how much it stings that I missed out on one of his builds.

On another matter recently raised, I don't see how a DS replica could possibly be classified as a live fire weapon any more than an acetylene torch itself could be. One is practical while the other is tremendously cool. There's no projectile, just a lot of drama up front. In fact, the "barrel" isn't even a barrel. It's blocked, and must be specifically to achieve the effect. Gun owner as well if it matters, but I don't think it does.

Sure you can burn yourself with it, but you can burn yourself on a lot of things. As to why one would want one, it's because in my view the effect is infinitely cooler than achieved by any other weapon prop, ever., and I'd like to have something capable of reproducing it on command. I've watched the parts of that movie where they're shooting about 10X as many times as I've watched the whole thing. To me, the gun's the star of that film.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back