Wonder Woman 1984

Those monitors at point were amber or green. At best EGA, not even VGA. When VGA monitors showed up they were 256 colors max. Monitors couldn't handle full on video until into the 90's.
They have three black dials, so they would be IBM 5153 CGA monitors, which had come onto the market in 1983. I was wrong about one thing however: CGA uses digital RGBI signals with a hard maximum of 16 colours, so while it would be possible to make a television receiver for the 5153 the colours would be posterised to the 16 CGA colours.

Streaming digital video on computers did not become mainstream until the mid '90s, no, but that was a limitation of the computers, not the monitor. Most colour computer monitors have taken analogue input up until flatscreens in the '00s.

I don't remember by CGA too well. Been too long. Though i remember using one in HS. I believe i went VGA in college. Thanks for making me feel old :)

All the monitors i ever had from the mid 90's or so had a vga port only. Never had analog ports, though some fancier flat panels added the RGB connections. Even then, the usually 'fancy' of flat panels was vga, DVI, then HDMI and display port.

You guys are discussing the realism of computer monitors in the 80s in a film that features an Amazonian superhero that exists in a universe with an alien that nobody recognizes when he takes his glasses off.

What do you expect when you get nerds talking about a comic book movie on an internet discussion forum? Of course we will debate the validity of the set dressings, especially when it's a forum dedicated to props! ;)

Honestly I'm not really feeling this new trailer. The first trailer had me pretty split because I could see the copy and paste job from other movies and shows used to make the trailer. I love Kristen Wiig but her CGI Cheetah looks terrible. If you want to see what an incredible actress she is, check out Skeleton Twins, or Welcome to Me. Both great movies I highly recommend, especially Skeleton Twins.

As for Wonder Woman, I find Gal Gadot's "modeling" poses kind of annoying in this new trailer, but I really did enjoy that first movie. I hope this one can pull it off and I'm totally wrong about having mixed feelings on the trailer. We shall see.

I love the new trailer and I’m super excited for this movie. I didn’t read WW comics, I’ve only seen the first movie (loved it) and the Linda Carter tv show when I was a kid growing up but I’m a big fan of the character.

Reading some of your comments has me like ??!!

This is something I do that allows me to enjoy movies like this: the movie doesn’t have to be realistic, or make sense, it only has to be truthful to the rules it has established within the story inside it’s own universe. As long as it stays true to it’s own logic, I enjoy the movie, story, and characters independently of the real world.

It’s like reading ‘Frog and Toad’ children’s books. In those books, a frog and a toad talk, wear clothes, walk upright on 2 legs, and ride bicycles. As long as the story is consistent with the guidelines it has established, I can go along with the made-up fantasy parts and just enjoy the narrative for entertainment.

Screenshot_20200823-223826.png

So here's an upcoming statue of Cheetah.

I love the new trailer and I’m super excited for this movie. I didn’t read WW comics, I’ve only seen the first movie (loved it) and the Linda Carter tv show when I was a kid growing up but I’m a big fan of the character.

Reading some of your comments has me like ??!!

This is something I do that allows me to enjoy movies like this: the movie doesn’t have to be realistic, or make sense, it only has to be truthful to the rules it has established within the story inside it’s own universe. As long as it stays true to it’s own logic, I enjoy the movie, story, and characters independently of the real world.

It’s like reading ‘Frog and Toad’ children’s books. In those books, a frog and a toad talk, wear clothes, walk upright on 2 legs, and ride bicycles. As long as the story is consistent with the guidelines it has established, I can go along with the made-up fantasy parts and just enjoy the narrative for entertainment.

But it... doesn't, though?

So, now WW can fly with the lasso? Swing from lightning bolts with it? Those are never even remotely hinted at being in its capabilities in the first outing. They're just tossing on random abilities to an item that was established to only be virtually indestructible, and force people to tell the truth.

I agree with this sentiment, except for the part I made bold. I'm all for internal story logic. If you establish a certain idea in the story it has to remain consistent to keep from being jarring, and if there is a need to change it, it better not disrupt the story (or theme) too far off course. But I do at least like a story to make some logical sense, even within it's own universe. Like if you're going to throw away any sense of peril for a character I can't even remotely take it seriously. That's a deal breaker for me.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

So, now WW can fly with the lasso? Swing from lightning bolts with it? Those are never even remotely hinted at being in its capabilities in the first outing. They're just tossing on random abilities to an item that was established to only be virtually indestructible, and force people to tell the truth.

So I had read a while back...and it may even be mentioned in this very thread...that Maxwell Lord seems to have some kind of gem/device that is manipulating Diana’s mind. I believe this was mentioned as a reason for why Steve is back when we all know he died (or did he?).

Anywho...if this thing allows him to manipulate her mind, is it possible that this riding the lightning is all part of some mind controlled fantasy?

I mean, in this new trailer he says something like “Anything you want...anything you can dream of...you can have it.”

There’s also the fact that there is, literally, like three total seconds of the lasso riding lightning in the two trailers...yet we’ve all somehow come to the conclusion that this is her main mode of transportation. I actually just went back to check, and the lasso lightning scene from the first trailer is the same as the one in this second one.

I’m seriously leaning towards it’s some odd sequence that isn’t really happening.

To be fair, movies do this all the time;

Does anyone remember Superman ever having the ability to fly so fast that he could reverse time when his friends died? Or that he could pull the symbol off his costume to create some bizarre net thing? Both magically happened in the movies with no precursor.

To be fair, movies do this all the time;

Does anyone remember Superman ever having the ability to fly so fast that he could reverse time when his friends died? Or that he could pull the symbol off his costume to create some bizarre net thing? Both magically happened in the movies with no precursor.
And those were some of the weakest writing moments in those films (Superman 2 is mostly hot garbage unless you watch the donner cut).

So I had read a while back...and it may even be mentioned in this very thread...that Maxwell Lord seems to have some kind of gem/device that is manipulating Diana’s mind. I believe this was mentioned as a reason for why Steve is back when we all know he died (or did he?).

Anywho...if this thing allows him to manipulate her mind, is it possible that this riding the lightning is all part of some mind controlled fantasy?

I mean, in this new trailer he says something like “Anything you want...anything you can dream of...you can have it.”

There’s also the fact that there is, literally, like three total seconds of the lasso riding lightning in the two trailers...yet we’ve all somehow come to the conclusion that this is her main mode of transportation. I actually just went back to check, and the lasso lightning scene from the first trailer is the same as the one in this second one.

I’m seriously leaning towards it’s some odd sequence that isn’t really happening.

Okay...
1, I never even remotely said I thought it was her main mode of transportation. I simply said that it's asinine and makes no sense. Which is accurate.
2, it COULD be a fantasy sequence, but the fact that they keep showing it like "hurhurhur, this is COOL" is worrisome to me. It is NOT cool. It's stupid.

Okay...
1, I never even remotely said I thought it was her main mode of transportation. I simply said that it's asinine and makes no sense. Which is accurate.
2, it COULD be a fantasy sequence, but the fact that they keep showing it like "hurhurhur, this is COOL" is worrisome to me. It is NOT cool. It's stupid.

I was using hyperbole, I meant no disrespect to your opinion, and I certainly didn’t mean to imply YOU were saying it was her main mode of transportation...it’s just something I’ve seen repeatedly mentioned around various spots on the internet, hence me saying “we’ve all,” including myself in this group.

Last edited:
Didn't Batman V Superman show a dream sequence in the trailer suggesting that Kal had captured and unmasked Bruce?
I suppose the ride the lightning shot could be the same sort of misdirection, if only that armor was part of the same dream. ;)
Regardless, I'll see it anyway. Some times you're in the mood for cheese.

I was using hyperbole, I meant no disrespect to your opinion, and I certainly didn’t mean to imply YOU were saying it was her main mode of transportation...it’s just something I’ve seen repeatedly mentioned around various spots on the internet, hence me saying “we’ve all,” including myself in this group.

That's fair. I'm just so freaking upset and disappointed that I can't work up more enthusiasm for this movie. I was absolutely GIDDY about the first one, but this one just looks so... bleh.

Didn't Batman V Superman show a dream sequence in the trailer suggesting that Kal had captured and unmasked Bruce?
I suppose the ride the lightning shot could be the same sort of misdirection, if only that armor was part of the same dream. ;)
Regardless, I'll see it anyway. Some times you're in the mood for cheese.

Between the armor (and I really LOVE the Kingdom Come armor) and the resurrection of Steve (though, in fairness, my former least-favorite-Chris looks like he might be the bright spot in this for me), it's just so disappointing.

Patty Jenkins did such a great job with the first one, this just doesn't feel like a fitting continuation of Diana's story to me.

I would LOVE to be proven wrong when I finally get to see it, though.

You guys are discussing the realism of computer monitors in the 80s in a film that features an Amazonian superhero that exists in a universe with an alien that nobody recognizes when he takes his glasses off.

And they could give cards feet and the planes have flapping wings under that logic as well. They were trying to ground the thing in realistic looking settings. I'd also venture the production said 'get me 80's looking monitors' and the simply decided to add video to them without any idea it wasn't technically possible at that time. It wasn't a conscious choice to set it apart from reality.

I can't say it was the same area, but i remember on 9/11, nearly 20 years after WW that people weren't clustered around monitors. There were 5ish companies with TV's in our building and people were clustered around those.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back