What we use in EU instead of "barge cement"

ziffa27

Hello all,
I am going to start working with EVA foam for a helmet and i know that in the USA among other glue they use "barge cement" for EVA foam.
Now my problem is that i live in Malta, Europe and to get that product the shipping will cost me more than the product it self.
I also know that in the UK they use another type of "contact cement" which will be cheaper the shipping for me.

Now my question is for those how live in Europe, what do you use instead of "barge cement" for EVA foam?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Andrew

Here in Australia we have contact cement too, works a treat. Some places it is called rubber cement. I would also suggest any glue for shoe soles too, they tend to have a good bond and allow for some flex.

As with anything test test test. Hope you manage to find something cost effective :)

Here in Australia we have contact cement too, works a treat. Some places it is called rubber cement. I would also suggest any glue for shoe soles too, they tend to have a good bond and allow for some flex.

As with anything test test test. Hope you manage to find something cost effective :)

Thanks a lot Killtime, i was hoping that anyone from Europe can point me to a brand so i do not have to do all the testing and buy a lot of glue for nothing because it will cost me a fortune. I am sure there is something, I cannot remember the name in the a video of "Evil Ted Smith" or "Bill Doran" mention something in a youtube video.

:(

I’m in the UK and have successfully used used Evo-Stik Impact contact adhesive to glue EVA foam, I normally use super glue for foam (or occasionally hot glue, but find it messy) but watched Evil Ted Smith’s video tutorials and saw his technique of using contact adhesive’s instant grab effect while rolling curved pieces of foam together and used a similar technique doing the curvier parts my Baroness armour http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=222247, using Evostick instead of Barge. The armour held up fine for con use, but I reinforced it on the inside with hot glue just to make sure .

I’m pretty sure almost any brand of contact adhesive would work, I think it’s all pretty much the same stuff, but you can find Evo-Stik Impact in most UK DIY stores.

I’m in the UK and have successfully used used Evo-Stik Impact contact adhesive to glue EVA foam, I normally use super glue for foam (or occasionally hot glue, but find it messy) but watched Evil Ted Smith’s video tutorials and saw his technique of using contact adhesive’s instant grab effect while rolling curved pieces of foam together and used a similar technique doing the curvier parts my Baroness armour http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=222247, using Evostick instead of Barge. The armour held up fine for con use, but I reinforced it on the inside with hot glue just to make sure .

I’m pretty sure almost any brand of contact adhesive would work, I think it’s all pretty much the same stuff, but you can find Evo-Stik Impact in most UK DIY stores.

Hello Laika,
Thanks a lot for your reply.
I have found these 2 are both of them good or no?
Evo-Stik Impact Contact: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Evo-Stik-...397?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item487d5ddf95
Evo-stik Impact Multi-Purpose Instant Contact Adhesive: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EVO-STIK-...379?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item233dede1d3

PS. Also i wanted to tell you that you did a very good job on the Baroness i really like it a lot the foam work in special.

PSi. i live in Malta and we do not find anything here.

The 2nd link to the tube of "Evo-stik Impact Multi-Purpose Instant Contact Adhesive" is exactly the stuff I used, I think you can get it cheaper than that though and I did a google and found it is available in Malta.

Unless you are building huge amounts all you will need is a small tube of it, just smear a thin even layer it over the two edges you wish to join, let it dry, then push the pieces together, the glue will join the pieces instantly, (which makes it good for gluing curved pieces) but you have to be very careful aligning the pieces, as you get no working time.
Evil Ted Smiths Foam Helmet Tutorial demonstrates this technique very well.

But I still think any contact adhesive would work fine, check local builders, DIY or shoe repair shops. In my experience most glues work on EVA foam, its not difficult stuff to stick.

cheers Laika, im in the UK and was looking for a decent glue for foam pieces :thumbsup sorry pinched ya thread ziffa27 lol

Re: What we use in EU instead of "barge cement"

The 2nd link to the tube of "Evo-stik Impact Multi-Purpose Instant Contact Adhesive" is exactly the stuff I used, I think you can get it cheaper than that though and I did a google and found it is available in Malta.

Unless you are building huge amounts all you will need is a small tube of it, just smear a thin even layer it over the two edges you wish to join, let it dry, then push the pieces together, the glue will join the pieces instantly, (which makes it good for gluing curved pieces) but you have to be very careful aligning the pieces, as you get no working time.
Evil Ted Smiths Foam Helmet Tutorial demonstrates this technique very well.

But I still think any contact adhesive would work fine, check local builders, DIY or shoe repair shops. In my experience most glues work on EVA foam, its not difficult stuff to stick.

Wow thanks a really a lot.
Thanks a lot for the help i will get 1 small tube from Malta and do few test pieces.
Yes i have seen all "Evil Ted Smiths" video's which inspire me a lot to start building with foam.
Thanks again very much i will do a good search her in Malta.
Thanks again and keep it up ;)

The power of internet :)

- - - Updated - - -

cheers Laika, im in the UK and was looking for a decent glue for foam pieces :thumbsup sorry pinched ya thread ziffa27 lol

Np gothic ;)

I know I'm probably late to the party on this one, but looking at your two suggestion on glues, the tube of evostick (second link) is identical to UHU, which you can get in any £shop in the uk

What was the name of the contact cement you use? I live in Aus and have just started looking into replacing hot-glue in my next build. Would love to know a brand or the store you purchase yours from.

since you live near Italy you will probably be able to find this stuff. i use it with foam and it's great. it is basically the same thing as barge cement and it's dirty cheap

165001035.jpg

best way is to find a local upholstery shop or cobbler (Shoe repair person) in your area. They always know the best stuff and will most likely know where to get it cheap. I went by an upholstery shop, they pointed me to stuff they use to glue foam to fabric with for furniture. I was even able to get them to sell me a gallon of their 3m commercial use stuff too. I guess its only sold in 55gal drums and really expensive. (drum is $3,000 wholesale) the place I went to also did headliners in yachts and they bought it for that also, if it will hold a 200lb leather sewn headliner up its good enough for what I'm doing. I do like it better than barge too.

Sweden, anyone?

Gus

Ive tried a lot of different glues here in Sweden, Ive gotten the best results with Casco contact cement (tube, available at a lot of places like biltema and clas ohlson, etc) and casco contact cement super9 (in a tin, found it at clas ohlson). The super9 stuff holds together like a m-f, but its near impossible to spread thinly because its so thick. Works when you really have to have something that holds together. I also have a glue gun of the bigger variety for the places that dont have to look good.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back