What we use in EU instead of "barge cement"

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by ziffa27, Apr 27, 2015.

1. ziffa27

ziffa27 Member

Hello all,
    I am going to start working with EVA foam for a helmet and i know that in the USA among other glue they use "barge cement" for EVA foam.
    Now my problem is that i live in Malta, Europe and to get that product the shipping will cost me more than the product it self.
    I also know that in the UK they use another type of "contact cement" which will be cheaper the shipping for me.

Now my question is for those how live in Europe, what do you use instead of "barge cement" for EVA foam?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
    Andrew

2. Killtime

Killtime Active Member

Here in Australia we have contact cement too, works a treat. Some places it is called rubber cement. I would also suggest any glue for shoe soles too, they tend to have a good bond and allow for some flex.

As with anything test test test. Hope you manage to find something cost effective :)

George likes this.
  3. ziffa27

ziffa27 Member

Thanks a lot Killtime, i was hoping that anyone from Europe can point me to a brand so i do not have to do all the testing and buy a lot of glue for nothing because it will cost me a fortune. I am sure there is something, I cannot remember the name in the a video of "Evil Ted Smith" or "Bill Doran" mention something in a youtube video.

:(

4. Laika

Laika Active Member

I’m in the UK and have successfully used used Evo-Stik Impact contact adhesive to glue EVA foam, I normally use super glue for foam (or occasionally hot glue, but find it messy) but watched Evil Ted Smith’s video tutorials and saw his technique of using contact adhesive’s instant grab effect while rolling curved pieces of foam together and used a similar technique doing the curvier parts my Baroness armour http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=222247, using Evostick instead of Barge. The armour held up fine for con use, but I reinforced it on the inside with hot glue just to make sure .

I’m pretty sure almost any brand of contact adhesive would work, I think it’s all pretty much the same stuff, but you can find Evo-Stik Impact in most UK DIY stores.

George likes this.
  5. ziffa27

ziffa27 Member

Hello Laika,
    Thanks a lot for your reply.
    I have found these 2 are both of them good or no?
    Evo-Stik Impact Contact: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Evo-Stik-...397?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item487d5ddf95
    Evo-stik Impact Multi-Purpose Instant Contact Adhesive: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EVO-STIK-...379?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item233dede1d3

PS. Also i wanted to tell you that you did a very good job on the Baroness i really like it a lot the foam work in special.

PSi. i live in Malta and we do not find anything here.

6. Laika

Laika Active Member

The 2nd link to the tube of "Evo-stik Impact Multi-Purpose Instant Contact Adhesive" is exactly the stuff I used, I think you can get it cheaper than that though and I did a google and found it is available in Malta.

Unless you are building huge amounts all you will need is a small tube of it, just smear a thin even layer it over the two edges you wish to join, let it dry, then push the pieces together, the glue will join the pieces instantly, (which makes it good for gluing curved pieces) but you have to be very careful aligning the pieces, as you get no working time.
    Evil Ted Smiths Foam Helmet Tutorial demonstrates this technique very well.

But I still think any contact adhesive would work fine, check local builders, DIY or shoe repair shops. In my experience most glues work on EVA foam, its not difficult stuff to stick.

George likes this.
  7. gothic

gothic Sr Member

cheers Laika, im in the UK and was looking for a decent glue for foam pieces :thumbsup sorry pinched ya thread ziffa27 lol

8. ziffa27

ziffa27 Member

Re: What we use in EU instead of "barge cement"

Wow thanks a really a lot.
    Thanks a lot for the help i will get 1 small tube from Malta and do few test pieces.
    Yes i have seen all "Evil Ted Smiths" video's which inspire me a lot to start building with foam.
    Thanks again very much i will do a good search her in Malta.
    Thanks again and keep it up ;)

The power of internet :)

- - - Updated - - -

Np gothic ;)

George likes this.
  9. BatFastard

BatFastard New Member

I know I'm probably late to the party on this one, but looking at your two suggestion on glues, the tube of evostick (second link) is identical to UHU, which you can get in any £shop in the uk

George likes this.
  10. ziffa27

ziffa27 Member

Thanks mate ;)

11. JaedenIronwolf

JaedenIronwolf New Member

In the UK, I believe the contact cement is "alfa thixofix"

George likes this.
  12. BatFastard

BatFastard New Member

Can I just say a massive thanks for the tip - I've got some and it's perfect. Clean, easy to use and sticks like poo to a blanket. :thumbsup

George and collinE83 like this.
  13. ziffa27

ziffa27 Member

Thanks a lot for the information mate ;)

Great!!

14. SPYROnorth

SPYROnorth New Member

What was the name of the contact cement you use? I live in Aus and have just started looking into replacing hot-glue in my next build. Would love to know a brand or the store you purchase yours from.

15. markseven

markseven Well-Known Member

I use Pattex classic. I live in Germany

16. Hedonist Farmer

Hedonist Farmer New Member

since you live near Italy you will probably be able to find this stuff. i use it with foam and it's great. it is basically the same thing as barge cement and it's dirty cheap

165001035.jpg

P3laton3 likes this.
  17. Lucas Boisneau

Lucas Boisneau New Member

Cool, I'll check all these links !
    Does anyone have an idea for France ?

18. 305primus

305primus Active Member

Sweden, anyone?

Gus

19. Joker31

Joker31 New Member

best way is to find a local upholstery shop or cobbler (Shoe repair person) in your area. They always know the best stuff and will most likely know where to get it cheap. I went by an upholstery shop, they pointed me to stuff they use to glue foam to fabric with for furniture. I was even able to get them to sell me a gallon of their 3m commercial use stuff too. I guess its only sold in 55gal drums and really expensive. (drum is $3,000 wholesale) the place I went to also did headliners in yachts and they bought it for that also, if it will hold a 200lb leather sewn headliner up its good enough for what I'm doing. I do like it better than barge too.

20. Emanu

Emanu New Member

Ive tried a lot of different glues here in Sweden, Ive gotten the best results with Casco contact cement (tube, available at a lot of places like biltema and clas ohlson, etc) and casco contact cement super9 (in a tin, found it at clas ohlson). The super9 stuff holds together like a m-f, but its near impossible to spread thinly because its so thick. Works when you really have to have something that holds together. I also have a glue gun of the bigger variety for the places that dont have to look good.

21. shelbournes

shelbournes New Member

one of the best products to use on foam joining is Stikatak spray adhesive ... spray into the lid and brush it onto the surface ... you will find you have to use a lot of strength to tear it apart ... this product is available in the U.K from a large DIY shop with two letters in it's name ... for £6 one letter is a Q
    ... enjoy

22. LeClubNerd

LeClubNerd Well-Known Member

I use this one https://www.bunnings.com.au/parfix-1l-fast-grip-adhesive_p1232739 from Bunnings, holds my Reinhardt togethor fine

23. SPYROnorth

SPYROnorth New Member

24. LeClubNerd

LeClubNerd Well-Known Member

Not sure i've not tried it. This one starts brown and dries yellowish to clear, not that you see the colour if you've glued semi-neatly. I'll try Sika for you ... if it starts clear i'll be sold straight up I don't know why but start clear ends clear appels to me.

25. SPYROnorth

SPYROnorth New Member

Would love to see the results of both brands when this next test is finished.

26. Yiyo

Yiyo New Member

Definitely extremely late on this one, but for Spain, I would also like to add ContactCeys for shoes, comes in various sizes and presentations and works wonders.

27. Rahere

Rahere New Member

I suspect the question's being read too narrowly. What makes a good contact cement/rubber solution/EVA foam glue (which as far as I can see are pretty much the same thing) really depends on the quality of the liquid latex which went into the solvent in the first place. Several things struck me from a knowledge of working in latex with that stuff, which sum up as "do a bit more than RTFM on the label".
    Firstly, is it strong enough in the long term? Secondly, what about prepping the glue site?
    Normally, when gluing sheet latex, we need to make certain the surfaces are prepped. That means a clean in very lightly soaped water, to remove organic muck, and then again in latex thinners, which opens the fibres and causes the latex to curl. When that's dried, it's flattened out again, and ready for a coat of latex solution, a much thinner version of the glues quoted, all of which I think I've used. Thin is good here, it makes a stronger join. Once again, that's allowed to dry, and we join up, paying great attention to stretch, so registration points match. Some people use tape to pre-register them, but that can force angles.
    That's just the glueing, of thin sheet. There's a halfway house, in neoprene wetsuits. They do pretty much the same, but then reinforce the butt joint with overstitching and taping, because where glued latex bonds over around a 5mm 1/4" width sufficiently stringly as to meet most needs, the air pockets in 3mm thick material butt-jointed reduce the contact areas significantly. If you heat-treat the surface, I'd think you might improve that, but the real answer is that they add more reinforcement, by over-sewing the seam, and in more expensive suits, tape that, which means further glue to get close to the 5mm.