What to use for quills?

avpfan36

My DBP1 G2 came with sculpey quills, some of which have already broke off right at the base where they were glued to the mask. What are you guys making quills out of these days? I want something that's a little more bio friendly, that will bend freely without breaking off. The quills on my mask are somewhat thick, I'm looking to make/buy quills like these:

DSC02866.jpg

Honestly, bake and bend Sculpey is the only way to go in my opinion...not many other types of material will bend and still retain the shape...

I saw a thread on here (can't find it) where someone got a block of clay and put a toothpick in it and moved it around to give it the right shape. Then poured latex, said it took a while to dry because of the clay not pulling away the moisture...but its a pretty easy/cheap way to do ti.

latex quills... honeslty skunk does a fantastic quill.. and i have to say they are spot on.. hold perfect. go back to shape perfect...

Can you guys tell what those quills in the pic are made of? Latex ones sound promising... unless I can find somewhere that sells just black bake & bend sculpey, that doesn't come in a kit with a bunch of different colors.

latex quills... honeslty skunk does a fantastic quill.. and i have to say they are spot on.. hold perfect. go back to shape perfect...

Cheers Colm
I make my quills from latex, they are not as smooth looking as the sculpy ones i've seen but they stick like **** to a blanket and wont break off if stuck on correctly.
I think the main problem with the scuply ones is that sculpy tends to go brittle where it meets with the glue and that makes that area less flexible so it breaks and falls off.
Another option for indistructable quills would be to buy one of those cheap kids silicone spikey balls or spikey silicone catapillars...the type you often get in 99p stores....get a black one, cut off the spikes and use a flexible superglue to attatch them to your mask.

I've used Skunk's latex quills on all my heads and torso and they are just indistructable, would use nothing else as they don't break and for people who like to use bio's on there masks they are ideal. Plus if you want to use netting on your suit then again ideal as won't break over time from netting rubbing off them. So again anyone all I can, say, latex all the way. If you don't want to make your own, then contact Skunk here and he'll be happy to make you some.......

I'm wondering if those are latex or what, they look hollow in the middle I seen an old thread saying his quills have broken off right where they're glued on, just like sculpey quills :)

Well,
I think I have a great idea for the cheap but strong, flexable quills. I'm going to find some steel cable, small size (real small). Cut thee steel cable into small pieces then just plastidip them. Strong enough to stand up, and last forever. When I make them, I'll take pictures for everyone.

The other idea I had is to go to a Home Improvement store like Lowes and find solid core electrical wire with black sleeving in a diameter that looks good enough. I may just do both and see which looks better.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back