What is an FX Trooper Kit Worth?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Darth Kahnt, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Just wondering what the going rate is for an FX Stormtrooper kit?

2. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

The cheap'est i have seen is 580 shipped the high'est 650 + shipping
    if you want the cheap one let me know

3. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(GundamZeppelin @ Jun 1 2006, 09:23 AM) [snapback]1254177[/snapback]</div>
    FWIW, I'd say that's a fair assessment of the market. I'm certainly no expert, but I have been looking.

4. NEKROFANATIC

NEKROFANATIC Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hard call...I got one of this board less then a coupla years back for $450 shipped...It really depends on the seller and whether or not you want new or used...

5. Darth Domain

Darth Domain Well-Known Member

I recently got a used one off e-bay but in good condition complete with leather holster, converted kenner blaster, undersuit, gloves and boots plus a batch of spare helmet decals for £400 british pounds ($747)
    Best deal i ever had :D

6. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

I think I paid about $600 for my black stealth FX kit, and that was about 6 months ago. Been too busy making costumes for other people to put it together, though. lol

7. JoeR

JoeR Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(GeneralMayhem @ Jun 1 2006, 05:44 PM) [snapback]1254264[/snapback]</div>
    $549 shipped to the UK from the USA is the cheapest source I have found. That would be about $500 shipped in the USA.

8. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Having owned a couple of FX kits in the past and now an AP, I can honestly say that you'd be better off saving a little while longer and getting an accurate kit (AP, TE, GF, etc...).....believe me. The more you study and appreciate the Trooper armor, the more that the FX kits don't cut it....IMHO. ;)

9. Luisiana Jones

Luisiana Jones Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(KevVader @ Jun 1 2006, 08:04 PM) [snapback]1254318[/snapback]</div>
    Thats why im such a noob in this, I still see the FX as some incredible armor, and cant find much difference between the TE and others and the FX, but well i guess everything will come...

PS. Regarding ur question m8, around 600$ is a good price for it, and its the one that ull see most times.

PSS. Saving for 1 myself lol :lol

10. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Start by comparing the size of the helmets on say, and FX kit, and an AP kit, and then look carefully at the details on the rest of the armor. By the time you're done, you'll be craving an AP kit if those things matter to you, or be happy with an FX kit if they don't.

11. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(GeneralMayhem @ Jun 1 2006, 10:22 PM) [snapback]1254393[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah... once you have begun studying the difference you will begin to wonder why you even thought about buying the FX armor to begin with...

TE/TE2 all the way (or AP if you want ABS) :)

12. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Luisiana Jones @ Jun 1 2006, 03:04 PM) [snapback]1254343[/snapback]</div>
    Thats why im such a noob in this, I still see the FX as some incredible armor, and cant find much difference between the TE and others and the FX, but well i guess everything will come...

PS. Regarding ur question m8, around 600$ is a good price for it, and its the one that ull see most times.

PSS. Saving for 1 myself lol :lol
    [/b][/quote]

...even if you buy an AP, TE, GF helmet seperately and then score some FX armor (no helmet) later, you're better off. Used FX armor kits (sans helmet) come up for sale from time to time in the JY and elsewhere....most of the differences are on the helmet anyway and that's the focal point of the armor.

I'll tell ya, I had purchased the FX kits a few years ago with the same outlook that you have now...."...not much difference between the two"....but once you study the differences, you will want something more accurate.
    However, if you just want to look like a Trooper, than the FX will do. One's not "better" than the other per se....depends on what you want to accomplish....

13. Darth Mawr

Darth Mawr Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I bought a FX kit this past Christmas for $499 plus $30 shipping. But your milage may vary.

14. Luisiana Jones

Yap but due to my size ive been recommended to stick with the FX, and besides if im going through hell to get 600$ dont know how id live if i had to save up t 1500$, im a poor university student :p

Ps. Now seriously yeah I was checking a comparison between the FX and GF and besides helmet (preffer GF tbh :p) the only difference I see is the "buttons" that go on the panel below the chest.

Pss. sorry for kinda hijacking your thread m8

15. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Thanks to everyone for all your input.

I have the opportunity to get a FX kit for $445 plus shipping (around $30). I only want it for a mannequin for my home, at 6'6 I am far too tall to be a Stormtrooper. I am thinking that for this price it is a good deal. Comes with all the glues, polish, lenses, decals, leather blaster holster, etc. That's why I wanted to ask what the kit was worth because I didn't know if I was getting a good deal or not. Judging by the response I would have to say that this price seems pretty good.

16. NEKROFANATIC

NEKROFANATIC Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

yeah Chris, that's a good deal. Just upgrade the helmet using a rt-mod/ap/te/aa/what-have-you helm and you're off to the races. Sell the f/x on ebay to recoup some cash. I know we all crow about accuracy, but when it comes to dollars, f/x suit w/ upgraded helm is the best way to go and the ONLY person who won't know its accurate is you...Hell, even w/ the f/x helm, no one outside of the boards would even think twice about its accuracy...

17. Luisiana Jones

Tue true m8, ull be the only one that realises that, well u and the other 501st :p btw great idea that one of buying just the accurate helmet ;) thx

18. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

I wont touch an FX at this point lol

19. propcicle

propcicle Well-Known Member

Just to piggyback this thread - what's the going rate for FX armor without the helmet?

-Propcicle

20. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(NEKROFANATIC @ Jun 2 2006, 12:39 AM) [snapback]1254654[/snapback]</div>
    That's my thinking on it too. I want something that is accurate but I dont want to spend a fortune like I have on my Vader. It's only for a display after all.

Is the TE helmet a good lid?

21. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(propcicle @ Jun 2 2006, 08:47 AM) [snapback]1254773[/snapback]</div>
    TE is the best.

<div class='quotetop'>(propcicle @ Jun 2 2006, 08:47 AM) [snapback]1254773[/snapback]</div>
    it depends on the person anywhere from 375 to 450.

22. Jumpin Jax

Jumpin Jax Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Luisiana Jones @ Jun 1 2006, 02:28 PM) [snapback]1254433[/snapback]</div>
    Might wanna check the back as well. The TE backplate is formed to fit a human body, while the FX kinda hangs there like a large flat billboard; the chest isn't much different, way too flat and generic. The shoulders are also grotesquely large, kinda defies the sleek nature of the actual costume. Remember, they're elite troops, not bulky, lumbering droids. Can we get some comparison pics on this thread? We're trying to prevent a large mistake.
    I'll start, my suit:
    [​IMG]
    And FX/armor FX:
    [​IMG]
    There is a definative comparison page at http://www.oohyeahzone.com/collection/coll...ld-trooper.html Thanks to KL for the pics.
    JJ

23. Helmetman

Helmetman Well-Known Member

The FX is a fine suit for general trooping and display - but it's kinda bulky. If you're not fussed about accuracy at this stage (which you say you aren't) then the FX will be fine.

I was like that, then you start seeing shots of more accurate suits that people have and gradually it eats at you.

Lid wise - TE is probably the best for accuracy but it's made of terribly weak styrene which means you'll have to paint it :(

Painted lids are fine but it's tough to get that 'ABS' like finish on them to match your armour

(unless you're Keith :D)

So I would have to say an RTMod lid is the best one to go for if you're on a budget. The AA is too expensive (unless you get the Battle Spec) and I know from experience that the plastic RT uses matches the FX fine.

Plus it has that ANH look and not the' bobble head' look an FX has :)

I have since sold mine but I was very happy with it for a while.

Thanks

24. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

I never ever intent to troop in the armor. I was offered a good price and figured it would be good for a mannequin and by all accounts here I think I would be getting a good deal. I think I'm going to jump on it.