What does your Workshop/Workspace look like?

Well I just had my shop built and am wiring it as I type this. It's a 12 x 16 Tuff Shed :) Here are a few pics so far.

DSC00412.JPGDSC00413.JPGDSC00414.JPGDSC00415.JPGDSC00417.JPGDSC00419.JPGDSC00420.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00416.JPG
    DSC00416.JPG
    795.5 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC00418.JPG
    DSC00418.JPG
    879.7 KB · Views: 239
My shop has been gradually evolving over the years. I've got my garage where the dusty stuff happens and an office inside the house for moldmaking/digital stuff/detail painting.

Humble beginnings:
6217855559_27c0f1449a_b.jpg

This is what my inside studio used to look like, maybe 3 years ago. Most stuff has been moved around since this was taken.
6218374196_b7f8cb0e9e_b.jpg

Outside shop, maybe 2 years ago:
6218375542_8806e69477_b.jpg

Added a laser cutter to the inside studio
6866659377_b9a14212fa_b.jpg

After I built a new vac forming machine and got a mill
8273085010_85e38c0c7f_b.jpg

Got tired of my workspace sharing real estate with my tools, so I built this bench on the opposite side of the garage
8317780095_5c0bef8535_b.jpg

8317779325_c2d1a2de52_b.jpg

The outside shop now. I'd like to add a center workspace for something like a table saw, but I still have to stick my car in here in the evenings.
8461877500_7ff19be950_b.jpg

(full res here)

The little corner of my garage dedicated specifically to props. Currently in Iron Man Mode. I have a tandem garage and divided the back half into workspaces for all of my different needs. I have some woodworking bench tools in the other corner and a wall of cabinets for my general / automotive tools across the way. There is also a cabinet and stand for working on my bikes in there. A place for everything as it were.

IMG_20130612_191228_510.jpg

Wow, some pretty nice set-ups here. Here's my small shop, it's never this tidy and no matter how big my workbench is, it still gets cluttered leaving me an area the size of a dinner plate to work in.
The garage:
P1030923.JPG
The model shop:
P1040669.JPG

Wow, some pretty nice set-ups here. Here's my small shop, it's never this tidy and no matter how big my workbench is, it still gets cluttered leaving me an area the size of a dinner plate to work in.
The garage:
View attachment 197013
The model shop:
View attachment 197014

I have that same issue, lol. I think part of the reason is that I always get interrupted by my kids and therefore never get to cleanup after myself. I guess I don't need more space, I could probably just put a lock on the door to keep the rug-rats out. That would solve that issue, lol.

Yeah. I have a space problem as well. I have a 10'x 12' area in my basement for my bench, drill press, band saw, Bladerunner, tables and shelves. I actually stand and work in a 3'x 4' are:wackoa...

So I read this thread about two weeks ago and admired all of your workbenches. I don't have a large area in my house to set anything up.
As I sat on a folding chair in my garage working on my iron man helmet I thought "this old plastic 18" shelf behind me could get tossed out, and I could do a major reorg of my tools and other junk to make the corner into a workbench.
Once again you have all inspired me, and after a bit of work, reorg effort, and buying a "proper" toolbox for a lot of my loss tools and other stuff, I have what is pictured below. :)

I even put in the overhead shelf, the side shelf, and the additional power outlets on the wall. I hid a power strip on the open side of the bench for access to even more tool power when needed. Now I have my own little man cave in the front corner of the garage. I decorated it with my Iron Man 3 poster that I got at the premier to help keep me inspired on my project.
20130630_143837.jpg

Well, this is what my workshop looked like a short while ago:

IMG_3419.JPG

... and here's how it looks now:

IMG_3447.JPG

Can anyone spot the difference? :) I'm having a new workshop built that will be in danger of being dry and warm all the year round - quite a rarity in the UK!

I can't wait for it to be finished, looking forward to lots more building.

I've been actually working on my workshop for the past year and been planning on doing one for several years.

A few years ago when the stock market was crap and everyone was selling, I started buying, then last year sold all my holdings and used the money I made from it to pay for the actual building that would house the workshop.
jmez.jpg
2t3d.jpg

As for outfitting it with tools, I've been buying things here and there for years. Some things like my tool boxes came from my time at Snap-on, the bandsaw, table saw, and large miter box actually belong to my father, but since he doesn't have anywhere convenient to store them, they came to live with me. All the benches and shelving was built using leftovers from the shop or the house. The cabinet that holds the pressure tank, small air compressor, and paint on top was a dresser I found on the roadside that someone was throwing away, I cut out the drawer sections and added some shelves and paint. All of the larger power tools (bandsaw, router table, large miter box, table saw, dust collector) are on stands with lockable castors. When I need to use them, I simply roll them in front of the rubbermaid cabinet and lock the castors down so I can use them there. For power, I've got the retractable extension cord roll on the ceiling to make it easy and clutter free. The shop is only 16'x20', so I tried to make most things mobile/modular to conserve space, I think it works pretty well. The mini-mill is my newest acquisition, it just came in last week. The area where the sheet of mdf is leaning against the wall will be where I set up to paint, going to build a rotary stand and a hanging wire to attach parts to that need painting, just haven't had time to do that yet.

So here is the interior:
2uaz.jpg
lkgi.jpg
fl6w.jpg
xx49.jpg

Last edited:
Man, your shop is coming along nicely... and I absolutely LOVE your PVC spray can holder! I'm stealing that idea! :thumbsup

Man, your shop is coming along nicely... and I absolutely LOVE your PVC spray can holder! I'm stealing that idea! :thumbsup

Thanks and certainly do.

There was really two reasons I used made the PVC rack for can storage. 1) It allowed me to easily identify each color. In the past I've stored paints in cabinets and it made it more difficult to see everything I had and would sometimes knock a bunch over when reaching for something in the back. 2) Just a theory, but I believe storing the cans on their side will allow easier mixing by shaking. There's more surface area for the paint to settle on when the can is on its side, so it should be easier to mix it.

I took a 10' length of 3" pipe and cut it into 5" long pieces, then just used PVC primer and cement to glue them together. It doesn't hold quite as many as I had hoped, but I can always get another piece and add on to it quite easily. To stabilize it on the top of the cabinet, I just drilled through the cabinet and pipe on each end and bolted it down.

Heh, I thought of those very things when I saw it... simply genius! It was truly one of those "why didn't I think of that?" moments.

And it's most gracious of you to approve of my idea thievery, I really appreciate it! My plan is to keep the can holder in a deep cabinet so dust doesn't collect on them as easily. I also thought of building a simple box frame around it for rigidity and mobility, in case I have to relocate the contraption elsewhere. I may even build one for the smaller 3 oz. cans that seem to accumulate in my shop over time.

Btw, nice touch on painting your bench and work table Delta-grey... are you going to paint or cover all of that OSB? I know that some people find the look kind of zen, but it certainly doesn't complement your shop's exterior. :lol

We have some large counter tops my mom got years ago on super mark down at Lowe's and i could put one in my closet to use the wasted space but sadly the other side of the wall is the bathroom and nothing to mount the shelf to as the wall is thick.

Btw, nice touch on painting your bench and work table Delta-grey... are you going to paint or cover all of that OSB? I know that some people find the look kind of zen, but it certainly doesn't complement your shop's exterior. :lol

That was just leftover greys I had from other things. Helped in getting rid of some almost empty paint cans and clearing out some space.

I started to paint them before putting them up, since that would be simpler, but started thinking about my garage, where I had been working. With wood (and especially mdf and hardboard) even with a dust collector and vacuuming, dust gets to be a problem. On walls that aren't smooth (like the OSB) it collects on every nook and cranny. Even though it would initially look better, I had concerns what it would look like over time. As far as matching the exterior, it didn't matter to me. I wanted something durable and easily replaceable if it were damaged. If I ever did sell the house or decide to use the building for something else, changing the walls in there would be simple.

On walls that aren't smooth (like the OSB) it collects on every nook and cranny.

Which is exactly why I installed drywall and painted it with semi-gloss latex. All I have to do is boot up the compressor and blow out the entire shop once a month or so... no big deal and it keeps everything fairly clean. Try doing that with OSB and it'll take hours to get all of the dust out. Just sayin'. ;)

I've been actually working on my workshop for the past year and been planning on doing one for several years.

A few years ago when the stock market was crap and everyone was selling, I started buying, then last year sold all my holdings and used the money I made from it to pay for the actual building that would house the workshop.
View attachment 203800
View attachment 203801

As for outfitting it with tools, I've been buying things here and there for years. Some things like my tool boxes came from my time at Snap-on, the bandsaw, table saw, and large miter box actually belong to my father, but since he doesn't have anywhere convenient to store them, they came to live with me. All the benches and shelving was built using leftovers from the shop or the house. The cabinet that holds the pressure tank, small air compressor, and paint on top was a dresser I found on the roadside that someone was throwing away, I cut out the drawer sections and added some shelves and paint. All of the larger power tools (bandsaw, router table, large miter box, table saw, dust collector) are on stands with lockable castors. When I need to use them, I simply roll them in front of the rubbermaid cabinet and lock the castors down so I can use them there. For power, I've got the retractable extension cord roll on the ceiling to make it easy and clutter free. The shop is only 16'x20', so I tried to make most things mobile/modular to conserve space, I think it works pretty well. The mini-mill is my newest acquisition, it just came in last week. The area where the sheet of mdf is leaning against the wall will be where I set up to paint, going to build a rotary stand and a hanging wire to attach parts to that need painting, just haven't had time to do that yet.

So here is the interior:
View attachment 203802
View attachment 203803
View attachment 203804
View attachment 203805

WOW Luke, that is absolutely stunning. So clean and...roomy! My friend and I are going to clean out my two car garage and get it set up once the summer heat has passed, so i will have my workbench in the house, then all the big machine tools out in the garage.

So? Who else? I want more PICTURES! impatient-smiley-emoticon.gif

I'm not posting pics of mine until it's finished. Right now there isn't much to look at, because there's so much debris in there from the construction process that it looks like a tornado hit it. :lol

But since my last workshop was a 12'x10' room in the basement of my old house, I kind of want to do the 550 sqft. workshop in my new house a little justice... know what I mean? ;)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back