Weird ROTS Vader helmet detail no one seems to notice or know what its for.

Imperial Weapon

So I just recently found this rectangular piece with 2 blank holes or screws in them I'm not sure, It seems to me that it serves no purpose I looked at the display pics of the ROTS reveal but couldn't see it, has anyone got better pics of this face plate? Sorry not a very good image.

th-2982509242.jpg

If it's those light round spots on the side of the mask near the tusk tube it just looks like reflections to me. The bigger picture shows multiple round dots reflected all over the mask.

Star-Wars-Episode-III-Revenge-Of-The-Sith-Darth-Vader-darth-vader-18356673-1599-677.jpg

No you are right.Its there.In the real mask they used electric panels to light up the eyes.This holes where for the cables and the arm that holds the mask in the air.I can post pic from the real prop later where you can see it on the EXPO.
I have no clue what they really used of all the stuff.But this detail is also on the real mask.
Here pics of the real thing:

Darth-Vader-mask-from-ROTS-star-wars-revenge-of-the-sith-28054944-1354-1456.jpg

dc84ca426b63d09a9afdf4c792a60215.jpg

Last edited:
No you are right.Its there.In the real mask they used electric panels to light up the eyes.This holes where for the cables and the arm that holds the mask in the air.I can post pic from the real prop later where you can see it on the EXPO.
I have no clue what they really used of all the stuff.But this detail is also on the real mask.
Here pics of the real thing:

View attachment 1578923
View attachment 1578924
thanks for a clearer picture just lemme get this straight are you saying cables run through those holes for the eye lights?? I feel like I might be misunderstanding what your saying sorry.

thanks for a clearer picture just lemme get this straight are you saying cables run through those holes for the eye lights?? I feel like I might be misunderstanding what your saying sorry.
They used EL-Panels in the eyes because they have a complete flat lighting and no spots like LED´s.But this panels needs to run with an inverter.
So there is a hole in the mask for the cables under the "block" for the arm you have seen on the screenshot.

1aa.jpg

here a better version of your screenshot(you can also see the hole there):
starwars3-movie-screencaps.com-14979.jpg

They used EL-Panels in the eyes because they have a complete flat lighting and no spots like LED´s.But this panels needs to run with an inverter.
So there is a hole in the mask for the cables under the "block" for the arm you have seen on the screenshot.

View attachment 1579057
View attachment 1579058
Right I get it now thanks for clarifying this I always assumed the light up eyes were CGI.

View attachment 1579057
View attachment 1579058

But this added rectangular block piece/holes is only on ONE side of the Vader face mask, correct?

...so it looks like in the screen shot, the image was flipped left to right? As we see the actual mask on display, the added block/holes are on the mask's LEFT side (our RIGHT if if we are looking at the mask face-on), but in the film clip the block/holes are on the mask's RIGHT side (our LEFT as we view the mask face-on).

P.S. Always bugged me that, when we see Vader's face mask lock into the collar/chin piece, the upper side tubes gape and don't line up.

InkedCapture_LI.jpg

Last edited:
It always bugged me that in the shot of the face being lowered the bottom neck piece is neatly tucked under the chest armor, and in the next shot where the face mask connects and swings down the neck is now outside/on top of the armor.

It always bugged me that in the shot of the face being lowered the bottom neck piece is neatly tucked under the chest armor, and in the next shot where the face mask connects and swings down the neck is now outside/on top of the armor.

We all have our head cannon; I think the whole scene would have looked better as Vader is "reborn," stumbling off of the table, WITHOUT his full attire.
Still have the faceplate, but without the dome.
No cape.
New torso, but artificial legs and arms exposed without gloves or boots yet.
He would be more Frankenstein monster-ish, more gruesome and incomplete.

And there was NEVER a need for the "Nnnoooooo!" scream. Just have Anakin's reanimated corpse standing in front of Palpatine for a looooong beat, completely quiet except for the mechanical breathing. And then... the room is ripped to shreds piece by piece by his anguish and rage, as we stare as Vader's skull-like faceplate, while Palpatine cackles in the background.

We all have our head cannon; I think the whole scene would have looked better as Vader is "reborn," stumbling off of the table, WITHOUT his full attire.
Still have the faceplate, but without the dome.
No cape.
New torso, but artificial legs and arms exposed without gloves or boots yet.
He would be more Frankenstein monster-ish, more gruesome and incomplete.

And there was NEVER a need for the "Nnnoooooo!" scream. Just have Anakin's reanimated corpse standing in front of Palpatine for a looooong beat, completely quiet except for the mechanical breathing. And then... the room is ripped to shreds piece by piece by his anguish and rage, as we stare as Vader's skull-like faceplate, while Palpatine cackles in the background.

I think it would have been so much more dramatic and fully showing the downfall of Anakin and his loss of humanity if, when Palpatine says "In your anger, you killed her", for Vader to pause for a few beats while the camera slow zooms into the mask and he responds

"Good."

I think it would have been so much more dramatic and fully showing the downfall of Anakin and his loss of humanity if, when Palpatine says "In your anger, you killed her", for Vader to pause for a few beats while the camera slow zooms into the mask and he responds

"Good."
or just take his screaming from the energizer advert why has no one done that yet?

So it seem that this piece was only on the left side so does this mean when they showed the left side of the face for the 'face and dome' scene it was actually the right side filmed then flipped?

Last edited:
They often used mirrored scenes also in the OT.In ROTJ Boba Fett also has the Range Finder on the wrong side in Jabbas Palace. :D

And about the Episode 3 Vaders birth: Yes the scene has some flaws..but I really like it.Also the complete movie.After the OT-Trilogy Revenge of the Sith is the best SW movie for me.

They often used mirrored scenes also in the OT.In ROTJ Boba Fett also has the Range Finder on the wrong side in Jabbas Palace. :D

And about the Episode 3 Vaders birth: Yes the scene has some flaws..but I really like it.Also the complete movie.After the OT-Trilogy Revenge of the Sith is the best SW movie for me.
No I do love ROTS and the prequels as a whole but yeah that would be the one thing I would fix in that film it would have been cheaper for Lucas to use the energizer advert scream (although the reason he screams 'nooooo' is because his vocabulator speaks for him so it couldn't translate a normal scream properly)also did the prequels reverse shoot anything? I mean I know TCW had a couple of scenes in reverse I know thats animated and not filmed by a camera but that was newer so

Last edited:
No I do love ROTS and the prequels as a whole but yeah that would be the one thing I would fix in that film it would have been cheaper for Lucas to use the energizer advert scream (although the reason he screams 'nooooo' is because his vocabulator speaks for him so it couldn't translate a normal scream properly)also did the prequels reverse shoot anything? I mean I know TCW had a couple of scenes in reverse I know thats animated and not filmed by a camera but that was newer so

Maybe George should have gone to his old reliable, the Wilhelm scream.
Wilhelm scream

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back