Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications

Here's another question, do you guys want it pre-trimmed to fit the MPP clamp, or do you want it vintage sized (same as the original board) so you have to trim it yourself?

I know nobody needs all the excess board material, I just needed to lay it out from my reference point to get the dimensions correct. I mean, I guess someone could solder the real LEDs to it and run it as a display board... if one were so inclined.

I realize we may not know how exactly it's trimmed, but I could get close and let people... sand it in, so to speak. Without a lot of waste.

Attachments

• options.jpg
    options.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 129
slothfurnace
I would vote for pre-trimmed version because people can try re-selling your replicas as real vintages by installing them into the calculators.
Also, would be a good idea to put some clear tells (more than just 'Slothfurnace' signature in the middle) to prevent any confusions even when installed in a saber.

Here is my build thread on this from a couple years ago in case anyone missed it. I've got videos and photos documenting my research and process.

Hey those LED modules appear to be the same ones I have. Note the circular forms under the long bar lens. The long bar lens I found from one of my calculators is a good match to that tan board one, and if I lay some bubble top modules under it, it recreates the squished bubble shape visible.

Also, I don't know why I thought to worry about my circuit trace layout after seeing this board, it has nine LEDs, and much closer together than the seven module board. I think the only question on my end that keeps me from ordering a batch of these is if it's tan/natural color or blue.

I guess I could get one set of each?
Didn't notice those rounded LEDs until you pointed them out, good eye. It's hard to tell on the original prop if the LEDs are rounded or flat like in the photos in post #495, but my gut is telling me they are flat on the screen prop. I believe you may be right, slothfurnace, that the 1974 Exactra 21 PCB may feature rounded LEDs in which case it seems that would not be movie accurate.

My vote would be for two board colors: a light tan color and a bluish-teal. I caliper measured the one I cut in the photo below for Dustin C's build, and it is 18.30mm wide by 42.78mm long, and the LEDs were 4.14mm wide by 6.84mm long. I would vote for making your board's length and width a bit bigger than those measurements to allow for custom cutting and assembly since every MPP clamp varies slightly in construction and dimensions.

LEDs.jpg

Last edited:
Just to clarify, though, the red rectangular LEDs with the small bubbles CAN be sanded down flat and then polished, correct? I'm assuming yes, but just want to be sure.

I wanted to thank the members that not only have photo editing software, but the talent to put together all the comparison shots and videos of their Vader ANH sabers versus the screen-used prop. Thanks belloq, IronDestinyProps, Dann, newmagrathea, parfaitelumiere.

It's fun to examine these photos with various lighting changes, etc., versus the true original, but I still can't tell which is the correct PCB variant!

These came in today...

slothfurnace_vader_v2_card_01.jpg

Now, they WILL work with the original vintage LED modules, but the only ones I've been able to reliably source are these, which are.... ever so slightly wider than original.

The card is more blue in person, the photo didn't quite catch the correct color.

Best I can do till someone sources a boxfull of the original LEDs.

Does anyone know where you can get the "Spring" part that is just inside the Emitter Shroud of the MPP Vader Saber? {See Pic}

Attachments

• Vader Saber Inner Spring Assembly.png
    Vader Saber Inner Spring Assembly.png
    428.4 KB · Views: 165

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back