Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications

Hi everyone, new member here - I was sorting through my old darkroom equipment and was researching whether or not it was safe to sell old flashes when I discovered that the flash I was researching was not only rather terrifying when used as a flash, but was also used as Vaders lightsaber - I learn something new every day :) I am genuinely relieved that I didn't just chuck some batteries in it and see what happened :unsure:

I have tried reading through this thread and am definitely slightly wiser now as to what exactly it is that I have, but I was wondering if anyone could help by letting me know why the shroud is different to what I thought it would be - the MPP Microflash that I have is definitely 100% genuine (I have been researching it today beginning with this brilliant thread - it has the serial number under the shroud, the red S, the engraved E, the three lines on the base, the flat screws, etc - it was bought as a flash to be used, rather than a replica/prop but was never actually used, it's literally just sat in my darkroom case for years), but I assumed that the shroud would be metal and one single piece, whereas mine is plastic and has the step in it - It has never been swapped out and was like that when I bought it.

Also, the "B" port - how do you tell whether it's the larger or smaller holed version? I couldn't find an image showing both (apologies if I've missed it, there are quite a few pages to go through)

Many thanks in advance to anyone that may be able to help, I genuinely have tried to read through and make sense of this, but there are so many variations and different aspects, that I'm just getting confused. Hopefully it'll let me post some pics.

Mike.

sxP3hhXl.jpg

837ALvml.jpg

M0qXznhl.jpg

YHoPjzXl.jpg

SpI2RMkl.jpg

NCkBXXll.jpg

7qBT4ffl.jpg

KV1FILP.jpg

Edit: Image of serial number added as I forgot to upload that one

Last edited:
Hey there! Welcome to the Forum, and that's a killer piece.

That's a small B port. The only way to know is to see both at once. Here's a picture showing that, with the large port on the left, small on the right, both vintage flashguns:
Thank you for the reply Corliss, really appreciate it (y)

Hi MPP Experts... im looking for a bit of advice... Im trying to build the most accurate ANH replica that i can with All Replica Parts.

I just got a Romans MPP and a Wannawanga Shroud. I cant decide what would be better and would like some expert Input...

It seems to me like the romans shroud sits a little lower so the tube pokes out the top a little bit..... but the wrinkle paint seems off to me.
The paint on the wannawanga shroud looks better...but still doesnt look like it has enough wrinkle compared to the others in this thread.... Also, the wannawanga shroud doesnt sit low enough for the tube to pop out the top a bit due to the side screws.

Whats the better option? Wannawanga or Roman Shroud? Leave it alone or Repaint? If so, Which Paint?

First 3 Pics are Wannawanga Shroud... Last 3 are Romans.

Attachments

• PXL_20230902_234525585.jpg
    PXL_20230902_234525585.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 74
  • PXL_20230902_234521901.jpg
    PXL_20230902_234521901.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20230902_234519622.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230902_234519622.MP.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 74
  • PXL_20230902_234446392.jpg
    PXL_20230902_234446392.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 80
  • PXL_20230902_234437535.jpg
    PXL_20230902_234437535.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 76
  • PXL_20230902_234433835.jpg
    PXL_20230902_234433835.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 84
Hi everyone, new member here - I was sorting through my old darkroom equipment and was researching whether or not it was safe to sell old flashes when I discovered that the flash I was researching was not only rather terrifying when used as a flash, but was also used as Vaders lightsaber - I learn something new every day :) I am genuinely relieved that I didn't just chuck some batteries in it and see what happened :unsure:

I have tried reading through this thread and am definitely slightly wiser now as to what exactly it is that I have, but I was wondering if anyone could help by letting me know why the shroud is different to what I thought it would be - the MPP Microflash that I have is definitely 100% genuine (I have been researching it today beginning with this brilliant thread - it has the serial number under the shroud, the red S, the engraved E, the three lines on the base, the flat screws, etc - it was bought as a flash to be used, rather than a replica/prop but was never actually used, it's literally just sat in my darkroom case for years), but I assumed that the shroud would be metal and one single piece, whereas mine is plastic and has the step in it - It has never been swapped out and was like that when I bought it.

Also, the "B" port - how do you tell whether it's the larger or smaller holed version? I couldn't find an image showing both (apologies if I've missed it, there are quite a few pages to go through)

Many thanks in advance to anyone that may be able to help, I genuinely have tried to read through and make sense of this, but there are so many variations and different aspects, that I'm just getting confused. Hopefully it'll let me post some pics.

Mike.

View attachment 1570115
View attachment 1570116
View attachment 1570117
View attachment 1570118
View attachment 1570119
View attachment 1570120
View attachment 1570121
View attachment 1570212

Edit: Image of serial number added as I forgot to upload that one
how did I miss this, thank you for sharing!!! I love that you've had this sitting around for photography use, thatds exactly how the originals were found.

The top... I can say that "two-step" MPPs are fairly common. Plastic!? The aluminum shrouds I've heard are very light weight. If it's cold to the touch still after a few short moments I would say It's aluminum. Maybe there were plastic MPP parts towards the end or something? It would be fascinating if this was the case. Worse case scenario, someone swapped out a broken top with a replica top in the past 30 years when it was out of your sight, but I doubt that.

Hi MPP Experts... im looking for a bit of advice... Im trying to build the most accurate ANH replica that i can with All Replica Parts.

I just got a Romans MPP and a Wannawanga Shroud. I cant decide what would be better and would like some expert Input...

It seems to me like the romans shroud sits a little lower so the tube pokes out the top a little bit..... but the wrinkle paint seems off to me.
The paint on the wannawanga shroud looks better...but still doesnt look like it has enough wrinkle compared to the others in this thread.... Also, the wannawanga shroud doesnt sit low enough for the tube to pop out the top a bit due to the side screws.

Whats the better option? Wannawanga or Roman Shroud? Leave it alone or Repaint? If so, Which Paint?

First 3 Pics are Wannawanga Shroud... Last 3 are Romans.

Hi there,

Maybe this helps: a comparison between my vintage 2-step (L) and one of my ANH aluminium shroud (with VHT wrinkle plus paint) (R).
IMG_1805.JPEG

IMG_1806.JPEG

IMG_1807.JPEG

I hope this helps.
Roy (from WannaWanga)

I thought this was an appropriate place to post this Name Plate comparison image I put together of two confirmed vintage M.P.P. Microflashes showing both variants.
IMG_8010.jpeg

I realize this part is not actually used on Vader’s lightsaber prop, but I thought it could possibly help anyone trying to identify or discern genuine vintage parts from replicas/reproductions.

I thought this was an appropriate place to post this Name Plate comparison image I put together of two confirmed vintage M.P.P. Microflashes showing both variants.
View attachment 1781241
I realize this part is not actually used on Vader’s lightsaber prop, but I thought it could possibly help anyone trying to identify or discern genuine vintage parts from replicas/reproductions.

Thanks!

Hi guys, i was sent to this thread from my own thread looking for reference images for the screen used esb mpp

I just finished reading all posts (42 pages quite a journey).

I was looking for those photos to use as a reference to "tune" my humble 89sabers replica, i know i know, there are better ones out there, but it is undeniable that the 89s is versatile for cosplay and "rough" use without freaking out for dings and knics that eventually will occur.

I planning to replace... Well several parts if not almost all of them with wannawanga's.

I will never be super accurate, but it will be significantly more accurate.

I have a full basket on the wannawanga store just waiting for the esb shroud to be available for purchase.

Now, i have some doubts, for example, the clamp card and the bubble strip... I have never seen a video replacing the standard with custom accuarte parts on a 89sabers, will it fit? Do i need to bent the clamp hooks to fit the bubble strip with the clamp card?

What about the greeblie that stops the shroud to come all the way down the main body? Will the wannawanga fit that replica? (because of the distance between the screws holes).

I believe the shroud will fit, if Roy can confirm this i will appreciate that.

Where can i find a replacement for the two screws at the base of the shroud? Becuase the standars are flat head and the thread is way too long, so when a blade is in they can be screwed in completely.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back