Upcoming ANH Jabba the Hutt scene redesign

Minor updates:
received_1523880091155964.png
received_687104228498357.png
received_234034051050596.png

Thats actually the closet CGI design I've seen of the original puppet.
I didn't read all the pages and everything on them, (lazy, I know) but are you also planning to animate him?
Because already seeing this better design in the "standing" position looks really good.
Funny how its so hard to recreate a 1980s puppet.
I am definitely NOT a sculptor by any means, plus I grew up in Florida, but in the early 2000s, at Christmas I would come where my family was in Idaho, where I'm now living, and decided to try my luck with a snow Jabba.
Its much harder than I would have thought. I've made other Star Wars snow stuff for fun as well.

jabbamix.jpg

Thats actually the closet CGI design I've seen of the original puppet.
I didn't read all the pages and everything on them, (lazy, I know) but are you also planning to animate him?
Because already seeing this better design in the "standing" position looks really good.
Funny how its so hard to recreate a 1980s puppet.
I am definitely NOT a sculptor by any means, plus I grew up in Florida, but in the early 2000s, at Christmas I would come where my family was in Idaho, where I'm now living, and decided to try my luck with a snow Jabba.
Its much harder than I would have thought. I've made other Star Wars snow stuff for fun as well.

View attachment 1286485
That snow jabba is awesome! Would love to see more of your snow stuff!

And yes, I plan to animate him and stick him in the scene with Harrison Ford/Han Solo!

That will be cool. Hope it turns out really good. Put ILM to shame.

This was one of the first things I did, Christmas 2003 I believe. (with my first baby jabba)
CHtribute.jpg

Then the next year was the better Jabba from above. Then one of those years was my attempt at Vader and the death star.

Snowvader.jpg

Snowstar.jpg

And last years after moving here to Idaho, I attempted Vader again....to which I still am not so good at. Of course that was after 11 years of not seeing any snow. I had made Boba Fett, but not sure where that pic is.

NewVader.jpg

That will be cool. Hope it turns out really good. Put ILM to shame.

This was one of the first things I did, Christmas 2003 I believe. (with my first baby jabba)
View attachment 1286486

Then the next year was the better Jabba from above. Then one of those years was my attempt at Vader and the death star.

View attachment 1286487

View attachment 1286488

And last years after moving here to Idaho, I attempted Vader again....to which I still am not so good at. Of course that was after 11 years of not seeing any snow. I had made Boba Fett, but not sure where that pic is.

View attachment 1286489
Dude!! That is awesome!!!! (We don't even get snow where I am)

Also, I'm so glad you seem interested in this project!

Of course, sounds like a fun project to tackle.
Lived in Florida for 33 years, only got snow if I visited family.

Plus, while everyone always ranks Empire Strikes Back as the best, which is really great, my favorite has always been Jedi, with Jabbas stuff, space battles, so much greatness.

Of course, sounds like a fun project to tackle.
Lived in Florida for 33 years, only got snow if I visited family.

Plus, while everyone always ranks Empire Strikes Back as the best, which is really great, my favorite has always been Jedi, with Jabbas stuff, space battles, so much greatness.
Awesome! Another Rotj project I want to do sometime, is the Darth Vader reveal helmet!

I've always wanted to see Jabba actually turn his body. In ROTJ he is always facing sideways, while all other versions he is pointing forward. His body structure really doesn't look like it would accommodate the 45 degree turn of his upper torso.

I've always wanted to see Jabba actually turn his body. In ROTJ he is always facing sideways, while all other versions he is pointing forward. His body structure really doesn't look like it would accommodate the 45 degree turn of his upper torso.
that'd definitely be a difficult thing to accurately do. i'm just hoping with my edit of the scene everything looks right and it works well.
i'm decently new to all this stuff, i've still got a lot to learn, especially things like rigging and animation. i only really started 3d designing/modeling sorta recently. so i definitely am not the best nor am i the most qualified i guess, to be doing this. but i've been having fun so far, and i hope you're gonna like it!

Last edited:
What I don't get is when they first added this scene in again, why didn't they just make it look like Han walked around him and not over him? Stepping on him just isn't believeable to me. Your work on this is looking great, but I'd try to make it look like Han walks around, not over him. I'm sure thats a lot more work though.

What I don't get is when they first added this scene in again, why didn't they just make it look like Han walked around him and not over him? Stepping on him just isn't believeable to me. Your work on this is looking great, but I'd try to make it look like Han walks around, not over him. I'm sure thats a lot more work though.
i could try it. but yeah your right it would be more work. i am still tempted to do two versions of the scene. one where he steps around the tail, and one where he still steps on it. first of all, i want to make everyone happy with this. and second, it could also be fun to do a funky face for jabba when he's stepped on!

I'm glad you like the way he's looking though!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back