Upcoming ANH Jabba the Hutt scene redesign

If you are wanting to replicate the skin material of the physical ROTJ puppet, you might consider turning down the SSS on your skin shader. "Real" skin would have a bit of SSS but looking at the foam latex "skin" of the original, it looks pretty much opaque.

Please share a bit about your modeling process. How have you done the texture on the belly? Procedurally or with an image texture? I'd love to see a wireframe view of your model. It looks really nice!

If you are wanting to replicate the skin material of the physical ROTJ puppet, you might consider turning down the SSS on your skin shader. "Real" skin would have a bit of SSS but looking at the foam latex "skin" of the original, it looks pretty much opaque.

Please share a bit about your modeling process. How have you done the texture on the belly? Procedurally or with an image texture? I'd love to see a wireframe view of your model. It looks really nice!
Yeah I think I'll turn the SSS down a bit. The modeling has taken me awhile to do so far, I think I started the modeling just by starting with large basic shapes subdividing it a few times over, then I imported a bunch of reference images so I could then try to replicate him as best I could, I just basically made the basic shape by pushing and pulling in some areas, then I went to the sculpting, and I think you get the idea! The wrinkles and stuff on the body and belly and all that, that was a combination of stuff. All of the main stuff was sculpted by myself. The really small wrinkles were from a custom displacement map I did.

I'll post a wireframe pic later when I get the chance!

hopefully this helps!

Cantina-Dude, Here are the Wireframe pics you asked for:

wireframe front.png

wireframe front2.png

wireframe left.png
wireframe left2.png
wireframe right.png
wireframe right2.png
wireframe back.png
wireframe back2.png

Wow, that's dense! Did you create this completely from scratch or did you start with another model and modify it?
Yeah, it is really really dense! HAHA!!!

Shoot! i forgot to mention in the first place, I did use a few parts from mighty jabba's model. (I'll have to update that.)

Last edited:
:lol: No no, I believe you, I was just curious about the distinct changes in topology in various patches. I know you're still working on sculpting the thing, so finalizing your topology will have to happen later, but since you seem to have already worked on you materials/texturing and rigging your armature I was wondering what your workflow was like. I look forward to seeing your progress!

:lol: No no, I believe you, I was just curious about the distinct changes in topology in various patches. I know you're still working on sculpting the thing, so finalizing your topology will have to happen later, but since you seem to have already worked on you materials/texturing and rigging your armature I was wondering what your workflow was like. I look forward to seeing your progress!
Dude, sometimes I don't even know what I'm doing! :lol: I do realize that there is a whole bunch of random geometry in there, but I'm not too worried about right now! By the way, rigging the model is only partially done, I've only really got the arms working. Rigging can be pretty difficult. Especially in blender, it's got a whole bunch of bugs in it. PLUS, there is gonna be a lot of difficulties trying to rig jabba the hutt. And making his "walking/wriggling" look authentic.

I think your new model looks great, for when he's sitting, but I think your first model, in terms of his posture is better suited for movement. However, in both versions, I think it lacks weight. I think it's mostly because of his body being too round where it contacts the ground; it looks very rubber ducky to me.

Jabba's a big sack of fatty flesh, so consider gravity and when he needs to be mobile; where all the weight of the flesh needs to be, how it would disperse itself. It's suitable for him be a bit squished if he's sitting and leaning into himself, but I think for him to be seen moving, he's got to have some pertness like your first model; he's got to be moving himself, there's got to be some inference of anatomy. I'd look at references of snails and slugs and then maybe practice physically with putting rice in a linen bag on the ground, just to get an idea of how weight disperses itself.

I think your new model looks great, for when he's sitting, but I think your first model, in terms of his posture is better suited for movement. However, in both versions, I think it lacks weight. I think it's mostly because of his body being too round where it contacts the ground; it looks very rubber ducky to me.

Jabba's a big sack of fatty flesh, so consider gravity and when he needs to be mobile; where all the weight of the flesh needs to be, how it would disperse itself. It's suitable for him be a bit squished if he's sitting and leaning into himself, but I think for him to be seen moving, he's got to have some pertness like your first model; he's got to be moving himself, there's got to be some inference of anatomy. I'd look at references of snails and slugs and then maybe practice physically with putting rice in a linen bag on the ground, just to get an idea of how weight disperses itself.
So, these for instance need to be hanging more? I got a little confused in there :lol:
Jabba2.5_kindlephoto-165258.png

Yes, and no. Something that big and fleshy, and heavy, needs to convey that. Yes, I think it needs to contact the ground more; no, I don't think it needs to be simply flattened or widened.

Look to the original Jabba concept maquette sculpted by Phil Tippet to get what I mean.

Yes, and no. Something that big and fleshy, and heavy, needs to convey that. Yes, I think it needs to contact the ground more; no, I don't think it needs to be simply flattened or widened.

Look to the original Jabba concept maquette sculpted by Phil Tippet to get what I mean.
alright, got it!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back