Uncharted 2: Among Theives

How did you get the pages in the journal that are ripped out of other books? Were you able to get really high-res versions or are you just a Photoshop master?

It looks amazing by the way!

How did you get the pages in the journal that are ripped out of other books? Were you able to get really high-res versions or are you just a Photoshop master?

The pages with the flaming Cintamani stone, the windhorse and the dharma wheel and text I recreated.
Redrew the flaming Cintamani stone and the windhorse. The dharma wheel I just took from from the screencap of the game.
The closeup shot of the deity holding the cintamani stone was taken from the actual painting used in the game diary (happened to find it on the internet.)
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_r-JoDMx7QjM/RuNoRvAA-cI/AAAAAAAABl4/t-w46r2ig04/T23+Chenrezig+003.jpg

There's a cut scene from the game that shows a quick shot of a portion of the pages.
When reading the text I figured that maybe the text was taken from an existing book....Sure enough, I went on the internet and found a PDF of the book, which had nearly the same text for the Cintamani Stone description.
The handbook of Tibetan Buddhist symbols - Google Books

The Windhorse and Dharma description was taken from a mixture of different sources on the internet...Once again, I happened to find the similr text found in the actual page.

THe rest of the stuff was done by finding the actual documents on the internet. Passport pages, Nepal visa, Nepal visa stamp, hi-res map used in Marco Polo's route etc.
The rest was traced ,recreated, cleaned up in Photoshop using the screencaps from the game the game.

It looks amazing by the way!

THanks.

Well, I got my tram token today.

It's just slightly larger than the Turkish kurus coin.

The tram token measures exactly 20mm (2cm)
The Turkish kurus coin measures 19mm (1.9cm)

IMG_0880.jpg

coinscale1.jpg

A bit smaller than what is seen in the game.

how would they compare to the in-game Journal if the book was one of the 3.5" X 5.5" ones like I'm using?
(I'm still convinced that I have the right size.. even though I DO prefer the larger book)

how would they compare to the in-game Journal if the book was one of the 3.5" X 5.5" ones like I'm using?
(I'm still convinced that I have the right size.. even though I DO prefer the larger book)

Well, before I started this project I did several scaling tests on the book.
I found out that there's no way to get the book to one size and make everything inside the book scale to that one size.

For example - On a 5.5"X3.5" book, the coins would look just about perfect.
However, the size of an American passport page is 3.5"X5"...THis would mean that it would be impossible to fit 2 passport pages, side by side, into the smaller Moleskine book.
The passport pages would need be be shrunk considerably in order to fit.
The end result would be a passport page that is about the size of a candy wrapper.

Also, universal size for a business card is 2"X3.5" ...Once again, the business card would have to be shrunk considerably to match the scale of a 5.5"X3.5" book .

The same applies to the postcard with the oil lamp. Standard postcard sizes are 6X4.5" - 7"X5" - 8"X6" - 9"X6"...All are too big to fit into a 5.5"X3.5" moleskine book.

Then there are the shots showing Drake's hands in comparison to the book.
The 8"X5" Moleskine book is a better scaling match than the 5.5"X3.5" book.

The best size for the book would actually be something around 7.5"X"5" tall....Unfortunately I couldn't find a Moleskine style book with that size.

In the end I just decided to choose the size book that best matched the majority of the inserts, so I went with the 8"X5".

DS

Well, before I started this project I did several scaling tests on the book.
I found out that there's no way to get the book to one size and make everything inside the book scale to that one size.

DS

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion... his journal has magic scaling properties.
It's small enough to fit in his back pocket but large enough to contain the rather large pages from the german expedition.

As far as coloring the outside of the journal goes a spray fixative doesn't stick very good to the Moleskine (which is strange because that stuff is wicked sticky). I guess paint is the best option.

As far as coloring the outside of the journal goes a spray fixative doesn't stick very good to the Moleskine (which is strange because that stuff is wicked sticky). I guess paint is the best option.

I used fixative on all of the pages Ive done so far, but the fixative I use is not sticky at all.
What kind of fixative are you using?

DS

Very cool, love that diary, someone should do a run...

I keep posting on Naughty Dog's facebook page that THEY need to do one. I'd pay for a licensed one.
Course.. technically I'm paying for mine :lol

BTW I want to thank everyone who has contributed and or will contribute to this thread. You guys have done some amazing work whether it be detective work on the passports and coins or photoshop work fixing images and making quality versions of the inserts.
I continue to alter and improve my unfinished journal and will probably make a second, more accurate one, later. :thumbsup

Yeah, the actually pages won't be a problem. It's that odd cover.

i just picked up a blank journal I found on Ebay for Francis Drake's journal from Drakes Fortune.
It was a pretty good match to the journal one seen in the game....Unfortunately when I got the diary the pages are so damn thin that if I try to draw on it with a marker it will bleed through (The description on the book even says that it's great for drawing with pencil and markers...Yeah, right.)
Anyhow, after that book turned out to be a dud, I went today and picked up a small black Moleskine and Im planing on painting it a leather color.
Im pretty familiar with acrylic, and Im confident that acrylic will work well with leather type surface. As a matter a fact, i believe Acrylic is the standard paint used for common leather painting.
if I clean the cover of the book, then sand it down, I should be able to paint it a faux leather color with the aid of a dabbing sponge....Ill probably have to thin the acrylic down with a but of water so the flexibility of the leather wont crack the paint.
If this works out, you guys should be able to use the same technique to paint this journal blue.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Just tested out the acrylic on one side of the Moleskine journal...It works perfectly!

Sanded the cover of the journal, cleaned off the cover with alcohol, and then wiped it clean with a damp cloth.
poured the acrylic in a flat saucer dish, added just a bit of water, mixed it up, , then used a sponge ball to dab it on the cover...Then let it dry , then dabbed on another coat and let it dry, etc , etc.

After 4 coats I let it dry, and then I decided to sand the painted cover....The acrylic does not come off.

Awesome!! I love acrylics, it'll stick to most surfaces! :D Thanks for the tip! I even painted a pair of Darth Vader Pants black once, they were a bit stiff after the coat but with wear they're just perfect.

It looks like his journal is a soft cover, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: The paint worked great (thanks for the tip), I just don't know if it will work on the soft cover version.

EDIT: It's definitely dark blue, and from this video I think it's hard cover. YouTube - Uncharted 2 - The Reunion - Puzzle

:D thats the video I used to get my original set of shots lol
It's also one of the main reasons for my decision in size... it fits in the back pocket of a pair of jeans.

Love seeing your progress. I need to make me some Indy and Uncharted diaries as well someday.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back