UK bans the import of *anything remotely harmful*...

Re: UK bans import of replica firearms...

Well as a old fart I can help answer a couple of questions:

Years ago here in AZ we had a problem where it was NOT a gun crime if you used a toy gun in a robbery. Criminals were getting away with nearly murder this way.

Even when it looked totally real and caused real fear in the victims.
I think someone even died of a heart attract due to fear of a toy gun, anyway they passed a law that if you brandish a toy gun as real, then it is real, in the eyes of the law, in the committing of a crime and in the eyes of the police.
They did not ban toy guns at that time, just made using them in a crime the same as using a real gun.
Later they then made the rule that toy guns had to have the braze orange barrels and better to be other bright colors so they look less real.
Here within the gun owners clubs, the feeling has been, IF they get to ban toy guns then it will be just a another step towards banning real guns, as in let them win one they will then go for another: so we fight even that.
We here in the states have a very real fear that if they take away our guns we will find ourselves in a police state. Many fear the taking away of many of our personal freedoms. (Many are already going…) And I for one fear that may be a very real fear.
There are things going on outside our hobby that are very bad.
Anyway that could be a part of the reason for the ban.
You might check and if the above is the reason, suggest that the use of any weapon of any kind, toy or real gun, pickle/finger in a pocket or bag be treaded as a gun crime, as in attempted murder, as in assault with a deadly weapon, make the ACT of acting like you have a gun in fact the crime, not ownership of the toy or even the real guns, make the act of brandishing a toy or real gun the crime.
After all, if they go that far, then all men should be castrated, as all men carry the weapon of rape.
It is a little like the Philip K. Dick story about stopping future crime, Minority Report.
And just as unworkable.
My 2 cents.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

True.

I simply don't see why they didn't make it a mandatory 25 year prison sentence for carrying/brandishing replicas. That would have solved everything.

And I think to myself... what a blunderful world....

Well here they made the use of any thing as a gun in a crime the same as using a real gun, that is fair.

All gun laws apply to the use of a toy gun as well.

Rich

True.

I simply don't see why they didn't make it a mandatory 25 year prison sentence for carrying/brandishing replicas. That would have solved everything.

And I think to myself... what a blunderful world....

I'd put money on it that there's been more discussion on the pros and cons in this single thread than ever went into the draughting of that bill.

In the UK we are part of a tiny minority who have ojections to the bill, so it is an effective public relations exercise. I know it's hard to grasp in the US, but the distaste for firerms in this country is almost akin to that of sex perverts.

I know it's hard to grasp in the US, but the distaste for firerms in this country is almost akin to that of sex perverts.

Imagine Gary Glitter sporting a Mp5 with a USP .45 standard as his back up. :wacko

Sounds like very good brain washing to me.

Which is my so many of our founding fathers were FROM there and put in the gun laws we now have, they wanted freedom.

Rich

I'd put money on it that there's been more discussion on the pros and cons in this single thread than ever went into the draughting of that bill.

In the UK we are part of a tiny minority who have ojections to the bill, so it is an effective public relations exercise. I know it's hard to grasp in the US, but the distaste for firerms in this country is almost akin to that of sex perverts.

Both the US and UK are already police state societies. We live in an age when our goverments can incarcerate us for an indefinite amount of time without trial or legal representation. Where the real people in power are unelected corporations. Our offline and online communications are constantly being monitored and we're under constant observation from CCTV. Even our international movements are/will be tracked with biometric ID's with police databases holding all our fingerprints/DNA. Now the only good use for your gun against the system is to blow your brains out when the men in black come knocking.

I just got this in and it speaks to our thread:

YES, I'M A BAD AMERICAN
by: George Carlin

I Am Your Worst Nightmare. I am a BAD American. I am George Carlin.

I believe the money I make belongs to me and my family, not some mid
level governmental functionary be it Democratic or Republican!

I'm in touch with my feelings and I like it that way!

I think owning a gun doesn't make you a killer, it makes you a smart
American.

I think being a minority does not make you noble or victimized, and does
not entitle you to anything.

I believe that if you are selling me a Big Mac, do it in English.

I believe everyone has a right to pray to his or her God when and where
they want to.

My heroes are John Wayne, Babe Ruth, Roy Rogers, and whoever canceled
Jerry Springer.

I don 't hate the rich. I don't pity the poor.

I know wrestling is fake and I don't waste my time watching or arguing
about it.

I've never owned a slave, or was a slave, I haven't burned any witches
or been persecuted by the Turks and neither have you! So, shut up
already.

I believe if you don't like the way things are here, go back to where
you came from and change your own country! This is AMERICA

I want to know which church is it exactly where the Reverend Jesse
Jackson preaches, where he gets his money, and why he is always part of
the problem and not the solution. Can I get an AMEN on that one?

I think the cops have every right to shoot your sorry rear if you're
running from them..

I also think they have the right to pull you over if you're breaking the
law, regardless of what color you are.

And, no, I don't mind having my face shown on my drivers license. I
think it's good..... and I'm proud that "God" is written on my money.

I think if you are too stupid to know how a ballot works, I don't want
you deciding who should be running the most powerful nation in the world
for the next four years.

I dislike those people standing in the intersections trying to sell me
stuff or trying to guilt me into making "donations" to their cause.

I believe that it doesn't take a village to raise a child, it takes two
parents.

And what is going on with gas prices... again?

I believe "illegal" is illegal no matter what the lawyers think.

I believe the American flag should be the only one allowed in AMERICA !

If this makes me a BAD American, then yes, I'm a BAD American.

If you are a BAD American too, please forward this to everyone you know.

We want our country

back!

We NEED GOD BACK IN OUR COUNTRY!

And if enought men still have guns when they do start trying to take them away (along with out freedoms) we can join together and fight back.

We used to have money backed y gold.

We still have a constitution backed by guns and the will of the people.

And if we ever do have to take back this country we will at lease be doing it legally by the constitution.

Again my 2 cents.

Rich

Can we keep this thread on track, please!

This is a serious issue for collectors, costumers and vendors in the UK, and people who want to do costuming in the UK. (I am only in the last category). I think the US is pretty irrelevant.

I don't think there is much I could do to help with a petition or lobbying.. but if you can think of something a non-Brit can do, just ask.

Last edited:
The UK bans Replica Firearms/props...

In October, 2007 the UK government will outlaw the manufacture and importation of replica firearms - yes, that includes 'movie props'. Pulse Rifles, Blade Runner Blasters, E-11s (even Kenner ones), the works... :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

Were you aware?

The airsoft fraternity have lobbied and gained an exemption - i.e. they will be able to continue to collect replica firearms.

From the "Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006" http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts2006/60038--e.htm#36

36 Manufacture, import and sale of realistic imitation firearms
(1) A person is guilty of an offence if-

(a) he manufactures a realistic imitation firearm;
(b) he modifies an imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation firearm;
(c) he sells a realistic imitation firearm; or
(d) he brings a realistic imitation firearm into Great Britain or causes one to be brought into Great Britain.

38 Meaning of "realistic imitation firearm"

(1) In sections 36 and 37 "realistic imitation firearm" means an imitation firearm which-

(a) has an appearance that is so realistic as to make it indistinguishable, for all practical purposes, from a real firearm; and
(b) is neither a de-activated firearm nor itself an antique.
(2) For the purposes of this section, an imitation firearm is not (except by virtue of subsection (3)(b)) to be regarded as distinguishable from a real firearm for any practical purpose if it could be so distinguished only-

(a) by an expert;
(b) on a close examination; or
(c) as a result of an attempt to load or to fire it.

Could we have your collective thoughts?

• What's your viewpoint?
• Will it affect your enjoyment of airsoft and/or collecting props?
• What will it mean for collecting in general?
• Will it drive replica firearm sales underground?
• Should they be banned and why?
• Are we too late to lobby for change and/or exemption?
• How can we lobby for change and/or exemption?

Please; UK members only... unless you can contribute some value with constructive comments and viewpoint.

Cheers. :)

Sorry it was a responce to some commits about why we are the way we are.

I guess a letter writing campain will not work over there?

Rich

Sounds like very good brain washing to me.

It isn't brainwashing, it's cultural. The British have never had a public gun culture. The average brit regards firearms as the providence of the military, most are opposed to even the police being armed.

Guncrime is a tiny % of violent crime in the UK, most civilians have never even seen a real gun.

The predominant mindset is that of not missing what we have never had.
and popular opinion sees guns as instruments of death.

The US argument that an armed ciizen can defend himself aginst his attacker is redundant here, since such a tiny anount of criminals are armed.

Ironically, the UK guncrime incidents are predominantly concerned with infighting between armed gangs who
have modelled themseles on
their US counterparts.

The US argument that an armed ciizen can defend himself aginst his attacker is redundant here, since such a tiny anount of criminals are armed.

I'd still much rather have a gun even when being attacked by someone with a knife. Wouldn't you? I don't wanna be stabbed.

So how many are beat up by thugs??

How many are maimed and crippled by club wielding thugs??

You live with a lot of strong arm rule of might.

We don't have as much for the guy they are jumping might have a firearm.

Our early history showed how that used to work.

A early qoute: "God may have created men as equals, but Sam Colt made it a reality."

Rich

Re: The UK bans Replica Firearms/props...

You should have the same rights as does the airsoft collectors.

Fight for equal rights.

Rich

Re: The UK bans Replica Firearms/props...

(2) For the purposes of this section, an imitation firearm is not (except by virtue of subsection (3)(b)) to be regarded as distinguishable from a real firearm for any practical purpose if it could be so distinguished only-

(a) by an expert;
(b) on a close examination; or
(c) as a result of an attempt to load or to fire it.

Can anyone translate this into Englsh?

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back