TrooperTrent Holiday Special Lightsaber Series

Ugh, if I only knew the importance of that part when I visited!!

I know your pain. I was working at Pinewood six or so years ago, before me reborn interest in lightsabers, and I didn't take pics of the Vader saber they have in a case. I have no idea what it may be.

...and now knowing it is a camera-related thing, I was wonder what might have that curved underside. It occurred to me that it might be a light rigging device.

How did you determine it was a camera-related thing? All we know is that it was made for the Holiday special which already broke every rule about what made Luke's lightsaber from the movies. I figured it was a heat sink or other computer part, being that the OTIS boards and other computer components were used all over the place. Could also easily be a Voltage rectifier for like a motorcycle or something. The curved part looks hand cut and very rough to me like it was just carved to fit the graflite rather than being pre-built to fit it.

Last edited:
It looks a lot like the mounting plate of almost every tripod ever. I could certainly be wrong, but when somebody posted a pic of a similar one in the FB group this leapt to mind.

I could very easily be wrong.

I posted this over in the FB prop group, but I'll post it here so there's more eyes on it. When I look at this pic:View attachment 1317759

...and now knowing it is a camera-related thing, I was wonder what might have that curved underside. It occurred to me that it might be a light rigging device.

Here's a modern one:

View attachment 1317760

Basically, when you do stage light rigging for movies, theaters, concerts, etc, most of the time above the stage there is a grid of aluminum pipes hung from cables. Idea beaing that you can clamp a light on anywhere on that grid and adjust as needed. If the piece we're seeing on the kobold above was the upper half to something meant to be tightened around a pipe and the top side was a light or camera mount, I think it could this sort of device from the 70s. It certainly would have been readily available on a soundstage.

I use this exact clamp ;)

I was thinking the same thing this morning. What if it’s a heat sink with a flat back, screwed to a wooden block? Heat sinks come in every shape you can imagine:
844E10AD-224D-466D-A622-BA51191ED34C.jpeg

This is a new one, so obviously not it. From a website called All Axis Machining, it is a DC-DC Converter.
Again, I’m not claiming that this is the actual part, but I think this direction of search has a lot of merit.

I was thinking the same thing this morning. What if it’s a heat sink with a flat back, screwed to a wooden block? Heat sinks come in every shape you can imagine:
View attachment 1317970
This is a new one, so obviously not it. From a website called All Axis Machining, it is a DC-DC Converter.
Again, I’m not claiming that this is the actual part, but I think this direction of search has a lot of merit.

I’m in the wood block camp

View attachment 1317970
Yep that's exactly what I've been looking at. The asymmetry of the fins vs hole placement and the transistor in the middle is what I'm trying to find.

Im steadily working on this. Ive been hunting that thing forever! I do have new ideas of what it is.

Fingers crossed!
I had a few sleepless nights google searching all sort of electrical plugs, but with no success.

But I know we'll find the correct one someday if everybody looks for it and shares knowledge...

You can clearly see some form of screws in the corners. A heat sink screwed to a wood block or something is looking to be a good lead.

On a side note i feel like ive seen it before. I could make a fairly long list of what it could be. We see these kinds of things everyday and over look them. It may be a plastic top to like a break fluid reservoir. Or found on an old lawnmower. It looks like a manifold from one of my model plane engines just not sure if they make those that big. I would definitely be looking into some old model kits again!

Oh man, I hope that since the box is smaller that my screw holes wont be exposed on the graflite when putting on the smaller box... :( I had to attach it that way since my switch for the electronics was in the middle.

Trooper_trent - Sorry to bug you about it, but can you confirm for me where the screw holes fall on the new, smaller control box vs the older version? Since I actually did screw in the 4 screws I just wanna know if I can retrofit mine, or if I need to find a new Graflite...

Thanks in advance!!

Trooper_trent - Sorry to bug you about it, but can you confirm for me where the screw holes fall on the new, smaller control box vs the older version? Since I actually did screw in the 4 screws I just wanna know if I can retrofit mine, or if I need to find a new Graflite...

Thanks in advance!!

They're off but not by much. Looks to me like your old holes would definitely be covered by the new box. The screws I include with the new box are purely cosmetic though so the box is intended to be glued on with E6000.

The transparent posts are where the holes line up on the old box.
This is how they'd be if the boxes were perfectly aligned.
Screen Shot 06-26-20 at 11.41 AM 001.PNG

And this is how they'd be if you tried to line up the holes as best as possible.
Screen Shot 06-26-20 at 11.45 AM.PNG

They're off but not by much. Looks to me like your old holes would definitely be covered by the new box. The screws I include with the new box are purely cosmetic though so the box is intended to be glued on with E6000.

The transparent posts are where the holes line up on the old box.
This is how they'd be if the boxes were perfectly aligned.
View attachment 1318323

And this is how they'd be if you tried to line up the holes as best as possible.
View attachment 1318324

You’re a wizard with this stuff

Just curious to see if anyone has upgraded their props yet. I'm excited to see how they turn out!
I have a few kits still in stock if anyone still needs one.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back