Tron Legacy Costume

Here is a progress video of my Identity Disk. There are still some details I am working out but the circuit is pretty much finished.

It is based on the Power Cell portion of the Proton Pack Lights circuit from GBfans by Keith Marshall without the reset and an astable multivibrator added to run the blade.

The blade runs smoother in person, the frame rate of the camera seems to make them appear to be erratic.
-----------------------
Video removed, see http://www.therpf.com/f24/tron-legacy-costume-88230/index164.html#post1793481 for new video

Last edited:
Moviebuff5,
I'm working on my discs next week, any chance of a tutorial or maybe an offer to work up mine for me because I'm awesome? I make a mean strawberry pie!

Is one n a half inch look too wide for my jacket? Its the wal mart tape

2011-07-08191309.jpg
[/IMG]

2011-07-08191255.jpg
[/IMG]

nice n bright though. I put a small piece on my boots and it stuck for about 3 weeks, i tried peeling it off but daaaang it works good

Yea when i wear it it looks kinda thick. Probly use the paper slicer on it
I'm not sure you can do that and still preserve the electrodes and phosphor in the tape.

But yeah, I think 0.75" to 1" would be closer to SA. I'm planning to use 1" wide EL tape in my jacket (once I get 'round to it).

Tim used reflective tape, not EL. Just cut it.
BTW you can cut EL tape. Here's the glow hut 1.5" tape cut into a curve:
It doesn't matter if you cut off one off the conductors along the back of the strip.

IMAG0925.jpg

Last edited:
Moviebuff5,
I'm working on my discs next week, any chance of a tutorial or maybe an offer to work up mine for me because I'm awesome? I make a mean strawberry pie!

I seriously doubt there will be a tutorial in that period of time. I did add a link to the power cell circuit in the post with the video though.

Thanks for the compliments guys :)

Rinzler, there's not much I can really say regarding a tutorial (I wish I took build pics now) I kinda just winged it. But I'll try...
Front piece is a backwards bicycle helmet so that the point makes the "nose" on Rinzler. Back piece is a skateboard helmet. Both pieces have had their plastic covers removed and then were carved to the correct shapes to fit together. Bondo was applied to keep the pieces together and was also used to fill in areas to make the shape of the helmet. Next came the sanding of the front piece to get the right angles on the helmet.

After some failed methods of adding a "visor" I decided to just wrap it in spandex and using super glue to keep it on. However, this is much easier said than done and it took some intricate folding to get the spandex to have a minimal amount of creases on the surface of the helmet. The spandex application alone took about two hours :wacko

So cost comes down to...
Old bicycle helmet from the garage, probably was $20
Skateboard helmet, Found it in a parking lot $0
2 cans of Bondo, about $40
Super glue about $4 (but didn't use the whole bottle of course)
3 square yards of spandex $18 (only used 1/4 of it)
Reflective tape $7

Total cost: $89, give or take a bit due to not using ALL of the supplies completely (not including staying up until 4 am for 2 weeks before Anime Expo and even until 4 am on the day of the con)
Hope this helps!

While I'm on the subject, I found another video which shows part of my inspiration for this costume. In TRON: Legacy, Rinzler is portrayed as being extremely skilled in "martial arts tricking." While I'm nowhere near the same skill level, I did get filmed and I thought the result was kinda cool :lol It's my impression of how Rinzler starts the disc game with Sam.
It's at 1:40, but everyone's costumes in this video are awesome! (not all TRON related)
YouTube - ‪ANIME EXPO 2011 FANVIDEO 1-4 [SAME DAY EDIT]‬‏

The biggest innovation Yangxiaobo had for the helmet was substituting the clear plastic with shiny stretch spandex. I plan to make a clu helmet the same way, but with wires to form the shape and then cover it with spandex fabric. It won't be shiny as the movies but Yangxiaobo has shown how good it looks plus is astronomically more cheaper. Except I plan to throw in el light tape and a fan. I've done clu fashion, its time to do robe clu and light it up.

Kudos Yangxiaobo for being revolutionary. Keeping it under $100.

Thanks for the compliments guys :)

Rinzler, there's not much I can really say regarding a tutorial (I wish I took build pics now) I kinda just winged it. But I'll try...
Front piece is a backwards bicycle helmet so that the point makes the "nose" on Rinzler. Back piece is a skateboard helmet. Both pieces have had their plastic covers removed and then were carved to the correct shapes to fit together. Bondo was applied to keep the pieces together and was also used to fill in areas to make the shape of the helmet. Next came the sanding of the front piece to get the right angles on the helmet.

After some failed methods of adding a "visor" I decided to just wrap it in spandex and using super glue to keep it on. However, this is much easier said than done and it took some intricate folding to get the spandex to have a minimal amount of creases on the surface of the helmet. The spandex application alone took about two hours :wacko

So cost comes down to...
Old bicycle helmet from the garage, probably was $20
Skateboard helmet, Found it in a parking lot $0
2 cans of Bondo, about $40
Super glue about $4 (but didn't use the whole bottle of course)
3 square yards of spandex $18 (only used 1/4 of it)
Reflective tape $7

Total cost: $89, give or take a bit due to not using ALL of the supplies completely (not including staying up until 4 am for 2 weeks before Anime Expo and even until 4 am on the day of the con)
Hope this helps!

While I'm on the subject, I found another video which shows part of my inspiration for this costume. In TRON: Legacy, Rinzler is portrayed as being extremely skilled in "martial arts tricking." While I'm nowhere near the same skill level, I did get filmed and I thought the result was kinda cool :lol It's my impression of how Rinzler starts the disc game with Sam.
It's at 1:40, but everyone's costumes in this video are awesome! (not all TRON related)
YouTube - ‪ANIME EXPO 2011 FANVIDEO 1-4 [SAME DAY EDIT]‬‏

Nisei week is coming up, another reason for cosplays to meet up, who's up for lighting up little tokyo at night!

Great job, everyone!!! :)
If anyone is going to SD comic-con there will be gatherings!!
Thur.- 4:30pm by either Tron display(at hall, if they have it this year) or B-Room 20. Thur. after hours gathering at 9:30pm in front of San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina.
Sun.-3:30pm. Same location.

The fb group that everyone is welcomed to join. Even if you won't be there:Log In | Facebook

Keep up the wonderful work, everyone!!

I guess you could achieve the same results for Rinzler helmet quite easily with the stretched spandex, I only see the lighting being a problem if you go that route.

Does anyone know how to make a disk that will be light weight but still look good??? Thanks!

Yes, real easy. Cardboard and reflective tape. The more time you put into it the more epic it will be! But ultimately much more lightweight.

YouTube link of AX made by RPF

The link above cuts straight to the tron cosplayers

The one below start at the beginning of the video (cool feature that youtube has for letting post links that start at a specific time)

YouTube Anime Expo 2011

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back