Tron Legacy Costume

I lightly sanded it and used Krylon outdoor plastic. It keeps chipping though. Does anyone know of a good clear coat that can take the abuse of the disc on and off? If not, I may peel it off and find a way to stain the plastic black so that the color is absorbed in (pipedream?)
Krylon plastic paint is garbage. If you have somewhere that sells Valspar paint (I know Lowe's does for sure), they make a spray primer specifically for plastic. I used it on the hoop skirt cage for this costume, which is two thin metal strips encased in plastic that was white when I got it. I coated them with the primer then regular silver spray paint, and it has suffered through three cons worth of excessive wear. It's been bumped, scraped, brushed against concrete, thrown in the back of a car, and worn in excessive heat and there isn't a single chip; not even where the vertical strips are wired to the horizontal. It's awesome stuff.

I don't know if any of you have watched the special feature "Visualizing Tron" on the dvd yet, but it shows you a REALLY good look on how they wired their EL tape to the costume, and the bare bones of the costumes.

Also, about the blue tinge to the white EL tape issue...if you watch on the dvd, where they show Sam and Gem behind the scenes, in one shot their EL tape looks like it's a very pale blue. I think it has to so with the lighting.

And I know this is going to sound repetitive and generally stupid to some of you, but can someone give me a step by step process on what to do after you wire the speaker wire to the EL Tape? How do you rewire it back to the inverter? Also, where do you get the sealant tape to close up the cut end of the EL Tape? Or can you just use something basic?

Before I start cutting into my stuff, I really, REALLY want to be self-aware of what I'm doing. Kinda want it pounded into my head. I know it's simply wiring to some of you, but this is my first go at it, and I want to make sure I don't waste money by completely busting my EL Tape -_-.

I'd really appreciate it if someone can put it in simple terms for me...thanks!

As far as sealing and attaching your speaker wire/22g wire to the EL tape, I think its good to use heat shrink wrap designed for it. This link has a website that sells all of this stuff for reasonable prices: Assembly Tools - Connecting El Wire

The way I connected my sections was to order the EL connectors this website offers. Most inverters have the female side connectors already present. You can order the male connectors and wire them fairly simply. it requires a steady hand, precise soldering skills, and a pair of pliers.

I'll post pics later, but step by step:
1. You order the connectors as a plastic shell with the two metal pins separate. Since they are so cheap, its a good idea to buy extras to practice with. The pins have flaps to hold the wire in, and must be folded down to fit in the plastic shell. And the plastic shell only lets the pins go in 1 way.

2. Get a pair of helping hands grabbers and a soldering iron. Strip the wire down to some very small length of exposed copper: 1/16" is all you need.

3. Put the pins for the shell in the grabbers, and put a SMALL amount of solder in the cup there and solder the wire to it. Emphasis on small: if its too big, you can't adjust the metal flaps.

4. Fold the metal flaps down onto the wire. This take practice and is tricky.

5. If you did it right, the pins should just nicely snap into the connector. If its giving you some trouble, its not too risky to use a small screw driver to push it in. Be careful not to push it too far, or you bend the contacts and ruin the connector and you have to start all over. The pins make a very satisfying "snap" sound when inserted properly.

Once you get this process down, you do this to all your EL wire/tape sections and create a wiring harness that extends from your inverter sets. Its VERY important you maintain your polarity, or something will go boom when you turn it on. I used a red sharpie to double check I kept the two contacts consistent. Once you build it right, you won't have to worry about it when its all ready to hook up: the connectors only let you plug it one way. Another thing: I find that the wires can become delicate in these connectors, at least the way I built it. A drop of hot glue in there to hold that wire tight to the plastic really makes it tough and durable.

Another option: that website sells pre-soldered sections of connector wires. It is a simpler task to solder two wires together: twist them together, put a solder layer over it to strengthen it, then seal with heat shrink. I did it the other way because I wanted to be able to customize how long my cables were.

Krylon plastic paint is garbage. If you have somewhere that sells Valspar paint (I know Lowe's does for sure), they make a spray primer specifically for plastic.]

Unfortunately its already painted. I'm not sure if I can get it off without making it look terrible. Maybe I'll just go with an automotive clear coat and put on some heavy coats to seal the whole thing.

I'm still not having any luck with White/White El tape. Any leads?

Thanks colonial! SUCCESS. Just cut it, spliced some speaker wire with the male connector I have, and now I have 2 cut pieces of EL running off one inverter, connected with speaker wire!

Who was asking about soldering to EL Tape? The EL Tape I ordered from Glowhut has copper stripping, and the male connector was soldered to it, as seen here, after I removed the connector:

5596369276_be6a541f05_z.jpg

@Pizzacat

If you want a cheaper route with the same effect as frosted transparencies, a frosted shower curtain works well! It looks even better doubled over.

Also, you live in Augusta? 'Cause so do my boyfriend and I :p!

I tested out the diffusion method, and got subpar results. I was using laminate sheeting which may be the problem. The light from the El-wire diffused a bit, but not very much. The edges around the EL-wire looked bright, but the middle was lacking, and the "panels" never really light up. Any advice?

Ohh also on the topic of getting the reflective tape to stick...I just used crazy/super glue. Stuff works like a charm.

Last edited:
I tested out the diffusion method, and got subpar results. I was using laminate sheeting which may be the problem. The light from the El-wire diffused a bit, but not very much. The edges around the EL-wire looked bright, but the middle was lacking, and the "panels" never really light up. Any advice?

Ohh also on the topic of getting the reflective tape to stick...I just used crazy/super glue. Stuff works like a charm.

Your first mistake may be using reflective tape as your reflective surface. It will dilute the color you are seeking, and more importantly, the EL material is not nearly bright enough to make it reflect in a way you want. Or so I found.

In initial testing, I noticed that just using shower curtain/sheeting wasn't enough. Eddy came up with the idea originally, and he suggested using masking tape. I used it and it turned out MUCH better than just shower curtain. The masking tape acts like a fiber optic material: it carries the light evenly from the edges, the shower curtain is for holding the tape in place. Go back to page 42 to see how he did it.

Another thing that helped: using a VERY reflective surface. Hobby lobby has this awesome chromatic paper you can use....

Ok.. the ELWire and ELTape, ALL of it (including the little bits I had left over after major sections were built, leaving 2: 1-2in long scraps at this point) is installed. The suit, due to having slightly varied colors in ELWire (Aqua and Blue) and in ELTape (Green), now has a very BoneYard look to it. I found this was actually where my head was at when I came up with the character concept. These pics are taken in a well lit room (with a crappy camera it seems) and no flash so we don't see the few bits of Black Reflective 3M Tape placed here and there on torso and arms.

So finally, excluding boots in these pics.. VirI_DOS (The Green OS):

216830_200113626687789_100000674587093_579060_6776906_n.jpg

And, that damn excellent Soul Inertia Disc Mod:

189280_195207430511742_100000674587093_544912_561904_n.jpg

That's it.. it's done.. ENOUGH already!!! (Now we can start hitting the Clubs and Cons here in the NYC area as a TRON Cos Group)

Finished up last night my Tron suit with the blue LED panels. Was a matter of attaching velcro to the armor and trying it out. I'm pleased with how sturdy it is, and how bright too.

So, I tried to carefully y solder some 18g wire to my circle leads and the heat melted one of the the leads right off the circle. They are just too thin.

Looks like my mistake was not just going the copper tape route. I still have two left, so I will try that out.

That's REALLY bright CM. :)

Thanks guys. Yeah, that's 24 watts of illumination total. 20 feet of flexible LED strip at around 100 mA per foot. Only problem is I can either use two 8 pack AA's for 1 hour or so or a 6 pound sealed lead acid battery mounted on my back for 4 hours. The armor nicely holds the weight off of my back so I don't even notice it. Moreover, I find it very comfy, though the pieces somewhat restrict my motion (I didn't make the leg wires long enough, i can't extend my legs while walking as much as is natural, oh well :p )

Just like with the red pieces, I used the shower curtain/masking tape distribution method with black electrical tape on the edges. If you look closely at each piece you can see the bright spots on the sides, but you have to be looking for it in person and on camera it appears as one solid bright strip.

I'll post pics later of the wiring harness, what each piece looks like up close, and the battery box I wear :p

My EL panel disaster put me in the mood to see some positive progress, so I finished up my new disc holder and got it mounted onto a random jacket. I think it turned out really well. I also added a coat or two of clear plasti-dip to help it withstand the rubbing from the disc coming on and off. I just need to let the mags in the disc dry all the way before I start playing with it. lol.

Since I'm really digging this new one, and have no one interested in Tron for Halloween with me, I am offering my first disc mount to whoever wants it. I can't imagine I would need two. Just let me know. I'm not selling it, just the cost of shipping, which I'm sure would be very very low. (UPDATE: ORIGINAL DISC MOUNT IS TAKEN!)

Anyway, here is the new one (mounted).
mwflte.jpg
2cfyywz.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to sew my costume from scratch. I was inspired by the program sketches in the Art of Tron book. The jacket and dress are slight mods to patterns that are currently available at fabric stores.
The jacket is stretch vinyl. If you find yourself using this material, I highly suggest tear away interfacing if you need to do any top stitching.
I've taped off the sections where I will be adding my EL panels. I hope to post the finished project soon.
5593902879_0d3b0a8337.jpg

I look at this costume and find Neuromancer coming to mind.. I like it. :thumbsup

I really like the design this looks really awesome. Can't wait to see it with the lights installed :thumbsup
I decided to sew my costume from scratch. I was inspired by the program sketches in the Art of Tron book. The jacket and dress are slight mods to patterns that are currently available at fabric stores.
The jacket is stretch vinyl. If you find yourself using this material, I highly suggest tear away interfacing if you need to do any top stitching.
I've taped off the sections where I will be adding my EL panels. I hope to post the finished project soon.
5593902879_0d3b0a8337.jpg

Hey everyone! I'm new to the site and i just wanna say WOW i like what i see. So many cool costumes and the ideas are endless. Ive taken the time and read every page of this thread the past few days (132 pages! CRAZY!) I myself have never done any cosplay or even built a costume till now. Usually my Halloween costumes are crap!

I love the Tron movies and want to build a costume for Clu's robe/cloak. Ive been putting together lots of ideas in my head on how i want to do it. I plan on going the El Wire route since its cheaper then doing the El Tape.
I also plan on using Eddie's/Annisse's diffusion method. I remember someone trying to do this with red El Wire and it not working out so well.

So my question: Has anyone tried it with Yellow wire and would using the masking tape over a transparency be the best or the vinyl shower curtain? If the shower curtain is better would it be better using yellow wire with a white shower curtain, yellow wire with a yellow curtain or white wire with a yellow curtain? :confused

Thanks!! Keep up the good work!!

Hey everyone! I'm new to the site and i just wanna say WOW i like what i see. So many cool costumes and the ideas are endless. Ive taken the time and read every page of this thread the past few days (132 pages! CRAZY!) I myself have never done any cosplay or even built a costume till now. Usually my Halloween costumes are crap!

I love the Tron movies and want to build a costume for Clu's robe/cloak. Ive been putting together lots of ideas in my head on how i want to do it. I plan on going the El Wire route since its cheaper then doing the El Tape.
I also plan on using Eddie's/Annisse's diffusion method. I remember someone trying to do this with red El Wire and it not working out so well.

So my question: Has anyone tried it with Yellow wire and would using the masking tape over a transparency be the best or the vinyl shower curtain? If the shower curtain is better would it be better using yellow wire with a white shower curtain, yellow wire with a yellow curtain or white wire with a yellow curtain? :confused

Thanks!! Keep up the good work!!

I tried diffusing Red EL Wire, not good result not recommended. White/Blue is waaaay brighter.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back