Tron Legacy Costume

Greetings programs! So I'm just wondering who else is going to Anime Expo this year? I'd love to see some epic Tron cosplay there. I live in Colorado and I'm one of 2 people in this state who have a full light up suit who go to cons. I'm traveling from Colorado to attend AX this year, but can't bring my full costume due to battery restrictions on flights. So I'm going to go as a casual program (the disc on the back, a single light panel down the front of a leather jacket) type look. Will post pics when I can. Thanks

Ahhhhh yes, Glowhut. I was originally going to go with them myself from the getgo but they don't sell their El Tape in the lengths I needed and I don't think they supplied White El Tape either. A custom order was going to cost a bit, then I discovered the LF product. So happy I did, it is way more solid bright white than the Glowhut glow.

Everyone should go with LF to light their Tron costumes in my opinion if you are on a budget as in can't afford the actual lighting used in the movie ;)
I'm going to back up Annisse and put in another unsolicited good word for LF. Good selection, prompt friendly service, well-packed high-quality product. Plus, they seem like an entirely US-based operation, if that's important to some folks.

I will be there with my friend in legacy attire. reflective tape for during the day and then we are going to swap it for el tape for the night
Greetings programs! So I'm just wondering who else is going to Anime Expo this year? I'd love to see some epic Tron cosplay there. I live in Colorado and I'm one of 2 people in this state who have a full light up suit who go to cons. I'm traveling from Colorado to attend AX this year, but can't bring my full costume due to battery restrictions on flights. So I'm going to go as a casual program (the disc on the back, a single light panel down the front of a leather jacket) type look. Will post pics when I can. Thanks

I'm going to back up Annisse and put in another unsolicited good word for LF. Good selection, prompt friendly service, well-packed high-quality product. Plus, they seem like an entirely US-based operation, if that's important to some folks.

Yay!!! :)

Is there a way that we can maybe put a Sticky post about Luminous Film at the 1st page of this thread so the newcomers can know what lighting is the best? I guess I can ask Art Andrews about it.

I will be there with my friend in legacy attire. reflective tape for during the day and then we are going to swap it for el tape for the night

Excellent, among the many thousands there I'll be on the lookout, be cool to meet a fellow RPFer. With my LED strip method, it will be plenty bright during the day and my own personal flash light at night. :D

Yay!!! :)

Is there a way that we can maybe put a Sticky post about Luminous Film at the 1st page of this thread so the newcomers can know what lighting is the best? I guess I can ask Art Andrews about it.
Or maybe the OP can edit it into the first post.

Ultimately, it would be great if someone could collect all the main tidbits into a bulleted list (suppliers, links to basic techniques, etc.), but it would be a bit tedious. No, I'm not volunteering. ;)

Here's a photoshop of me (and my program version) wearing my old jackets i did a few months ago. It was just a double pic of me but i added in the clouds, el wires, etc.

2011-05-16235522.jpg
[/IMG]

Or maybe the OP can edit it into the first post.

Ultimately, it would be great if someone could collect all the main tidbits into a bulleted list (suppliers, links to basic techniques, etc.), but it would be a bit tedious. No, I'm not volunteering. ;)

Neither am I! :D HAHA

I really think that the Luminous Film is a great find for the lighting aspect which I think is one of the hardest parts of getting a Tron costume together. Finding the best lighting for your costume.

A link to LF should at least be at the top of this thread if anything.

TRON PROM DRESS IS NOW COMPLETE. I HAVE DELIVERED.

DUN DUN DUNNN

It's not quite as good as the other ones I've seen out there, but anyway. Prom is this saturday, and as I have no good camera side from my laptop webcam, I will have to borrow one from someone else during prom I guess, and add to the facebook album later. The dress is floor-length (the longer layer of the skirt is removable/can be opened), torso is lit with electroluminescent wires; boots/gloves/leggings/extraneous stuff is all reflective tape. The disc is Sam's Deluxe ID Disc bought in store. Wedge-heel leather boots were also bought in store from Aldo.

The dress alone cost maybe under $150 to make, though the boots alone (around $80, and they were originally $200) definitely pushed the price far enough to where I would not be able to afford using EL tape, and instead resorted to EL wires plus reflective tape.

Hey everyone. I just found this forum while researching things for my future tron costume, so excuse me if I don't display proper etiquette. I think you'll be seeing more from me in the future since I love creating costumes

Now let's get down to business. I'm planning on attaching a continuous strip of EL tape from Luminous Film (convinced from Annisse that it's the best EL tape distributor) on the inside of my hoodie. I estimate it to be approximately 7 feet long. I have found this cool inverter from glowhut and was wondering if It's strong enough to power the whole 7 feet if it's 1 inch in width. On the specs, it says that it can power 2 x 1.4 meters of 1/2 inch EL tape. I really want to make the continuous strip to be 1 inch in width. The specs say that the inverter supplies 9 volts so I was wondering if it can power beyond what glowhut says it can. I really want to use this inverter since it has a sound sensor (would be super cool for EDC hehe.)

In the event that it doesn't provide enough power, I'm thinking of getting 2 of those inverters and cutting the 7 feet tape in half. My only worry by doing that is that the 2 seperate tapes won't be sync when it flashes. Thanks everyone for reading this post and sorry if this matter was already discussed previously. (I have finals to study for and simply can't read the 100+ pages :p)

^ I don't think it can power that much tape (you're talking 84 square inches), based on the rating for how long a strip of 1/2" tape it can drive (which I calculate to be 55 square inches). It may light up, but the tape may be pretty dim. I'd try to find a beefier inverter or use two like you suggested and hope they sync up.

im a HUGE fan of this movie and anyone who gets anything close to the screen used costumes should consider working in the film industry as you have a true gift.

Hey everyone. I just found this forum while researching things for my future tron costume, so excuse me if I don't display proper etiquette. I think you'll be seeing more from me in the future since I love creating costumes

Now let's get down to business. I'm planning on attaching a continuous strip of EL tape from Luminous Film (convinced from Annisse that it's the best EL tape distributor) on the inside of my hoodie. I estimate it to be approximately 7 feet long. I have found this cool inverter from glowhut and was wondering if It's strong enough to power the whole 7 feet if it's 1 inch in width. On the specs, it says that it can power 2 x 1.4 meters of 1/2 inch EL tape. I really want to make the continuous strip to be 1 inch in width. The specs say that the inverter supplies 9 volts so I was wondering if it can power beyond what glowhut says it can. I really want to use this inverter since it has a sound sensor (would be super cool for EDC hehe.)

In the event that it doesn't provide enough power, I'm thinking of getting 2 of those inverters and cutting the 7 feet tape in half. My only worry by doing that is that the 2 seperate tapes won't be sync when it flashes. Thanks everyone for reading this post and sorry if this matter was already discussed previously. (I have finals to study for and simply can't read the 100+ pages :p)

As I use that inverter, I can tell you that you will have to use two of them, being careful to sinc them up on sensitivity levels (with the tiny sliders found on the side of each unit) if you want them to blink as one to sound effects. You will spend a few mins at the event getting the right 'tweeking' done in order to sinc closely.

For power, as you get closer and closer to the max output of the inverter you will have a significant drop in brightness across the entire lighting setup. For that many sq in, I am sure it's a 2 box suit you have in mind.

Here's a system test example of the sound unit at work, near it's max output for one inverter.. YouTube - ‪TRON 1.5 Blk_ICE Refit Lighting Test EL Wire & Tape‬‏

Thanks Tim and gams001.

I've decided to use 2 inverters. Gams, your videos on YouTube were really inspiring.Very nice job on your build!

I decided to make patterns outside the hoodie as well. I was wondering how any of you veterans managed to make a 45 degree turn. Which would be better, folding or cutting? Thanks

Here's a sketch of my idea for reference. Yes, I did this in paint :p lol

Pint20back20hoodie20shape.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back