Tron Legacy Costume

Well here we are, I am finished, and just in time for the con. Let me know what you think.

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

AMAZING JOB! That is just reflective tape? I thought it was El tape or panel on your suit! Reflective tape rocks!

I kind of get what you're saying, but pictures would definitely help. Thanks.

Here are the photos of what I did to get the 90 degree angles and hold them as flat down in place as possible with clear 3M tape for my End of Line Waitress costume with my LuminousFilm.com

This pic shows all the folds completed. First I bent the light tape folded, under/down, in an "L" shape then folding the light tape, over, to get to the 90 degree angles.

I cleaned up each of the 4 corners with some of my white latex I made my dress out of. To make the lines appear straight when looking from far away. Once you fold over that tape, it is so thick at the corners from the folding, it gets bluky and the folds will make the lighted lines not look perfectly striaght anymore. I hope this makes sense.

4e56cn.jpg

Now to keep all the 4 folded corners down flat and in place, if you don't tack them down with some clear tape the light tape will not stay in place, I used some strong 3M clear tape to hold down all my folds and the white latex I used to even out the look of light to appear straight. It worked great. There is white sticky backed velcro attached to the back to attach it to my dress.

As you can see, when you really press down on your folds it is going to make the light strip fold area become dark (those dark pink OFF looking areas on the fold you see here). This does not damage the entire strip though. LuminousFilm.com stuff can take alot of abuse with the folding. Believe me, I really pressed down hard here to get it as flat as I could.

The darkened light areas here will not show up in the front, as seen in my 1st photo.

4e5agi.jpg

Finally here is a close up photo of one of the folded down corners of the light tape so you can see how I taped them flat down and attached my white velcro.

This is it. I am all done! Finally with this! ;) now to move on to redo my Quorra lights with this stuff!

4e5glk.jpg

Just got my LuminousFilm order today. Well-packed and received in 2 days!

Nice I got mine about 6 days later. I hope to get some of my tape working next week. I am getting the last few parts I need Monday.... hopefully :)

Great! Let me know what you guys think of their LiteTape! I am still very excited about it! and glad others are getting on board with it. I never tried the Glowhut El Tape but from what I have heard it is not that bright and don't think you can bend it to get these 90 degree angles... I may be wrong. But there was definately a reason I didn't go with it in the 1st place.... Oh yeah. His pricing was too high for custom lengths, that's why I never bought from him and he didn't have a variety of widths avaliable either. LumionousFilm.com has many different widths to choose from! I <3 them ;)

Does anyone have a good link for the 1" EL Tape? I swear I saw that alot of people got it from Glowhut, but all I can find there or anywhere else is 1/2".

Yes, forget Glowhut and go with LuminousFilm!!! :D you will love working with it!

Last edited:
I would love to go for LuminousFilm but their stuff is obscenely out of budget for me XD because I'm not in the US. I can barely afford Glowhut's stuff. If only I could find somewhere that ships international but has strips wider than what glowhut's got :p

Does anybody know how to get rid of the el inverters humming noise?

It is how they work. All of them do it. I hear if you plug more in, it reduces a LITTLE but I doubt that because my <30ft inverter still hums pretty decently when I have 25ft plugged in. You can try wrapping it in some foam?

...Yes, forget Glowhut and go with LuminousFilm!!! :D you will love working with it!

Thanks for that Annisse, that was a great post about the el tape and it is directly responsible for me choosing to go with LuminousFilm for the el tape now.

I've already got two 1.25 x 12 panels from glowhut, they seem very rigid compared to what you have illustrated with the LuminousFilm tape. I'll find a use for the glowhut pieces, but I'm thinking LuminousFilm for the main light displays on the suit.

Wow, so many things to address, wiring, inverter choice, type of power source (AA battery pack? Lithium battery pack?), switches, method of making the suit (rubber casting? neoprene? Microcell foam?), method of attaching things to the suit (el tape, wire, power pack) and the suit to my body (velcro? zippers?), materials to use. Daunting, and very fun at the same time.

This is totally new to me, so I am starting from scratch, step one for me is collecting the components, tools and materials.

So far.

• A male mannequin torso (something I can't believe I found myself purchasing, I'm already taking a lot of ribbing for it from my friends :lol)
  • 2 San Flynn Deluxe Disks (one to keep original, one to mod) + 12v led strips meant for tricking out cars, wires, tiny 27A 12V batteries, etc. to mod the disk
  • 2 glowhut 1.25" x 12" el panels with inverter + 8AA battery pack (but switching to LuminousFilm for these components in the future)
Going to start with modding the disk, and doing further research on the molding and casting method to make the suit. If I do it that way, will need, oil clay, sculpting tools, mold making materials, black liquid latex rubber, etc.

Phew! :lol

Last edited:
Annisse,

How noticeable is the line down the center of the flatlite when it is on? I know there's a 1/100" separator, but don't know how prominent it is.

-Thermistor

Yes, forget Glowhut and go with LuminousFilm!!! :D you will love working with it![/QUOTE]

I just heard back from Luminous film. Appearently they don't offer AA inverters. Are you using the 9V? If not, which inverter did you choose?

Yes, forget Glowhut and go with LuminousFilm!!! :D you will love working with it!

"I just heard back from Luminous film. Appearently they don't offer AA inverters. Are you using the 9V? If not, which inverter did you choose?"

I saw inverters at Luminous film, glowhut has them too. I got a 12v inverter, and a 8AA battery pack from ebay (8 x 1.5V = 12V) , works fantastic. You could also use 12V lithium batteries made for RC cars with the inverter. :cool

Last edited:
I saw inverters at Luminous film, glowhut has them too. I got a 12v inverter, and a 8AA battery pack from ebay (8 x 1.5V = 12V) , works fantastic. You could also use 12V lithium batteries made for RC cars with the inverter. :cool

I'm doing a Young Flynn Flashback jacket, so I was hoping to get an inverter small enough or flat enough to put in the chest pocket. Any suggestions/pics of ones you guys are using?

I'm doing a Young Flynn Flashback jacket, so I was hoping to get an inverter small enough or flat enough to put in the chest pocket. Any suggestions/pics of ones you guys are using?

I got this one from glowhut 12V inverter for A5/A6 electroluminescent backlight/panel but it doesn't seem good for what you want as it's sort of a cube, sounds like you need something flatter/rectangular, this one may be good for you, A4 inverter for electroluminescent backlight/EL panel 5" x 2.25" x 1.5" get out the ruler and see if that works for you. I'll eventually be getting one of those too.

Last edited:
You might have to stick the inverter and batteries on your belt or in one of the jacket's side pockets.

I still haven't found a good cheap jacket locally; will have to check out thrift shops.

My first progress post!

I got most of the foam/armor cut for my suit done. Pretty impressive for only 2 half days of work. I have both my EL wire and LuminousFilm split electrode tape in. I will do more work on that later in the week.... for now... pictures!

(since it is first time uploading pictures, I am not sure how this will work, but I will explain what you are seeing)

So in the mass picture, I have my body armor, arm armor, the 2 pieces that make up the shoulder armor (may remake one of the pieces), and some detail pieces for the arms. I still need to work on the leg armor, but I feel that will come later, may wait a while on that.

The arm armor is so cut up because the rectangular cuts are to hold the el wire which I hope to get time to add in tomorrow.

The metal in on the back section of the body armor is made from insulation support wire (the inner ring is almost the same diameter as the identity disc), it only took a few hours of thumb numbing work.

I still need to get my undersuit, going for a root suit style suit (Spandex Bodysuit | RootSuit | $44 Full Body Spandex Suits), hoping to order this week....

Speaking of this week, I have to get most of my suit done this week, I feel I will be able to get the majority of it done this week, but it will be a fun week!

Tell me what you think

Annise and all, A couple questions about the LuminousFilm:
- Is it lit on one side, or both?
- Is the Phosphor completely side-to-side, or is there an edge of non-lit material? I got some blue from GlowHut an it has about 1/4" of unlit strip on each side, and I don't like that.

Thanks.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back