Tron Legacy Costume

Just wanted to post my completed End of Line Club waitress dress with the El Panel attached from LuminousFilm.com Dress fits tight. Mannequin is only for display.

Still gotta fix the over lapped corners as they are not matching up in straight lines due to all the folds but as you can see, you can bend this stuff at 90 degree angles. Pretty awesome stuff!
I read about you making this on your twitter (I'm not being creepy I was just curious how your siren costume was coming along haha). Can't wait to see how it looks being worn with the tray and glasses

How did you attach the disc mount plate to the coat? It all looks fantastic btw good mix of colors :thumbsup

TY and the colors have a story.. but I'll not go into that again here, to save all our sanity.

There are two keys of note here.

First, the pics shown with the disc in place on the back of the jacket is actually just 8 (4 on 4) 3mm x 8mm rare earth magnets. 4 of them were placed onto the outer surface of the jacket, then covered in a layer of black electrical tape, then sewn into place for support. The disc was held on well enough to show, not for jumping around or dancing.

The second item is the black eva foam plate you see in the lower pics next to the disc. The disc and the plate both have 4 of the magnets E6000 glued onto them with the foam having holes placed deeply enough to leave the magnets just a tad higher than the surface of the plate. This plate was then E6000 glued onto the back of the jacket (shown below) and the disc set against it as needed. This method is far more stable and the disc does not move in any serious way unless I happen to go bounding around the house. :rolleyes

199810_195389267160225_100000674587093_545532_6375990_n.jpg

196309_195389223826896_100000674587093_545531_7391062_n.jpg

Last edited:
TY and the colors have a story.. but I'll not go into that again here, to save all our sanity.

There are two keys of note here.

First, the pics shown with the disc in place on the back of the jacket is actually just 8 (4 on 4) 3mm x 8mm rare earth magnets. 4 of them were placed onto the outer surface of the jacket, then covered in a layer of black electrical tape, then sewn into place for support. The disc was held on well enough to show, not for jumping around or dancing.

The second item is the black eva foam plate you see in the lower pics next to the disc. The disc and the plate both have 4 of the magnets E6000 glued onto them with the foam having holes placed deeply enough to leave the magnets just a tad higher than the surface of the plate. This plate was then E6000 glued onto the back of the jacket (not shown yet) and the disc set against it as needed. This method is far more stable and the disc does not move in any serious way unless I happen to go bounding around the house. :rolleyes

How strongly does the electrical tape hold? I'm thinking of using that for anchoring down the EL-tape.

How strongly does the electrical tape hold? I'm thinking of using that for anchoring down the EL-tape.

In my experience, electrical tape works great when wrapped around an object, not so much as stuck on. I am using some medium duty mounting tape, and where I can, I will have slots on the sides of the depressions(sorry its hard to say, pretty much imagine a picture frame, the picture is bigger than the frame, thus it stays in) and just slide the tape in like that, no tape needed.

Hey anyone found any Tron Legacy helmet pepakura files for free ??

Also any recommendations to seal/protect painted EVA foam?

Last edited:
Hey, does anyone have any tips for attaching the reflective tape to neoprene? I tried rubber cement but the neoprene stretches about twice the size when worn.

r6d3U.jpg

If you google "flexible reflective tape" you will find a few. Some that are meant for placing directly onto wetsuits. They don't stretch as much as the wetsuit so placement is key, but they do stretch. The kind you are using will not strtch at all. I think you might have to start over with the flexi type.

Black Tape will not be able to hold the ELTape against something like rubber or fabric. As noted, it works well to wrap something, not bind it to something else. As I said above, the method I used was black tape to cover the magnet, then the tape was sewn into place on the fabric.

If you google "flexible reflective tape" you will find a few. Some that are meant for placing directly onto wetsuits. They don't stretch as much as the wetsuit so placement is key, but they do stretch. The kind you are using will not strtch at all. I think you might have to start over with the flexi type.

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered WHITE "Flexible" Hi Intensity Tape from the Coleman brothers.

Probably gonna be another bag of fail, but who knows.

Also, I'll probably put some foam base underneath it to keep its shape as I move the suit.

Black Tape will not be able to hold the ELTape against something like rubber or fabric. As noted, it works well to wrap something, not bind it to something else. As I said above, the method I used was black tape to cover the magnet, then the tape was sewn into place on the fabric.

Hmm okay, so back to velcro it is :p now to figure out how to flatten the stuff out well. I'm very afraid of it being too bulky.

Ok, so I'll use fabric to conceal any extra wire connections in between strips because the wisdom here says electrical tape and fabric don't mix :lol I'd use fabric tape but it requires ironing which would likely damage the wires inbetween.

Hmm okay, so back to velcro it is :p now to figure out how to flatten the stuff out well. I'm very afraid of it being too bulky.

Ok, so I'll use fabric to conceal any extra wire connections in between strips because the wisdom here says electrical tape and fabric don't mix :lol I'd use fabric tape but it requires ironing which would likely damage the wires inbetween.
It's not as bulky as one would think. sure its bulkier than just gluing it on or something but its still not bad at all. I barely notice the bulkiness

Long time builder first time poster. You all have inspired me, i've decided to move ahead with my Tron project. I intend to make one of the concept program designs from the art of Tron book. Lots of good info on this thread and great projects!

I've been researching how to do the rubber armor, I figure these are the steps necessary (extremely abbreviated).

1. Create a copy of your torso (using whatever method you'd like, there are several), cast a dummy form duplicating your torso to work on.
2. Sculpt clay on the dummy torso to the contours and details of the armor ( also, have the talent to scupt or this step won't work, my personal problem, will have to learn on the job :lol ) The armor isn't all that thick from what I can tell. so the clay won't be either,. Also, if your doing this, you can modify the details to your advantage, like making the channels match the width of your el tape exactly so you won't have to trim.
3. Create a mold from sculptured clay armor, using latex that you brush on to the clay.
4. Use that latex mold to cast the rubber armor.
5. Install el tape, wire it up.
6. Head out to the grid for DISC WAR! :cool

Something like this http://www.smooth-on.com/gallery.php?galleryid=393

Anyone with more knowledge on the subject, I'd love to hear your input, am I on the right track?

Ultimate method:

Smoking hot Sirens walk out and hook you up with your armor and disc. :love

Last edited:
Body Paint with Glow in the dark stripes.. oooh la la.

Edit: seriously though, maybe Minicel Foam, Closed Cell Foam Padding, Foam Rubber Sheets
Minicel foam if a tightly sculpted rubber suit may not flatter your figure as much as you like.

(All you 20 year olds and Fitness buffs can knock yourselves out though)

Haven't you learned anything from Jersey Shore? GTL! Gym, Tan, Laundry! :lol
Kidding aside, Minicel foam? I'll look it up, mainly because the whole scultpting casting thing looks daunting, and messy, and I imagine expensive.

Last edited:
Would it be possible for someone with the pc version of the game to grab some high res images of the Tron and Anon character models from the unlockable extras on the game, similar to what was shown earlier of the Quorra character?

Thanks!

Russ

Great costume Wolf.

I've came across these armor jackets and i was wondering if there would be a way to paint parts of it for example the shoulder armor so it looks more like rubber or more of a solid material ?

On the Tron costumes they have the hard armor and then they have the softer material that has the hex patterns,i would like to make it look like that if it's possible.

My original idea is to buy a wetsuit and some how build the armor onto it but finding these jackets it could be a more simple way.

Attached picture:
Top: Womens
Bottom: Mens

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back