Tron Legacy Costume

Hey guys, quick question...
Even though I'm still not finished with my armor yet, the hub and gloves for Quorra are still nagging me. I can't find gloves that are long enough, and while I've seen a bunch of ideas for the hub, I seriously don't know which idea is best. All I know is that I'm placing magnets on the inside of the disc, and some metal on the hub, and that I'm cutting off the plastic simulating the light part of the disc and replacing it with EL tape. Any suggestions for the gloves and the hub? :confused

Even though I'm still not finished with my armor yet, the hub and gloves for Quorra are still nagging me. I can't find gloves that are long enough, and while I've seen a bunch of ideas for the hub, I seriously don't know which idea is best. All I know is that I'm placing magnets on the inside of the disc, and some metal on the hub, and that I'm cutting off the plastic simulating the light part of the disc and replacing it with EL tape. Any suggestions for the gloves and the hub? :confused

If you still have the plastic from when you bought the Identity disc, cut out the hub from that.... Since you probably don't, I heard the plastic plant pots that you get when you buy plants are the perfect size(you would have to trim it and maybe cover over the holes.

From what I remember, most people either made their own gloves, or something where the gloves were built in. If you have the time, the best route is to read the thread. There are a lot of useful links there. Otherwise at the top of the thread there is a button to search this thread.

Ahhh, yes.. I know that tape. Did test work with it back in Dec before I decided on UV reactive gaffers tape finally. TY for the info.

I remember seeing some posts and pictures of some glow-in-the-dark style tape that appeared to be considerably bright, but it only seemed to come in only one color: green. is this the same tape you speak of?

The tape I finally went with is this stuff at .5in wide: BLTAPE Green
BLTAPE.gif

I'm sorry if anyone posted this before but..I have been looking around like CRAZY for reflective tape!!! Did everyone get it online?
If so; can you share the link?!
Thanks!!!!
(note: I did see the link above. :) As awesome as they are. It is not what I am looking for.)
BTW
If you buy for elbestbuy.com there is a promo code. It's only 6% off but..Better than nothing. It's "elwires"

Yay figured it out. All right, so this is a teaser picture I'll expound upon later. My project was to create the siren costume you see. That Iron Tron is a friend of mine who is an expert on making Iron Man armor. I don't know how he makes the armor, but I know he used EL panels for his suit. For the siren outfit for my girl friend there, I used red LED strips to make the panels. Later I'll show you how I made them, but I can tease with this: I took Eddie's awesome light distribution idea and perfected it with the MUCH brighter LED strips, I was frankly disappointed with how dim EL wire/tape is in comparison. I'll also explain how we wired it, mounted the disc, etc. It was a 4 month project that worked awesome.

Last edited:
Disk Holder Mount hub right there for you. he is a fellow RPFer so go support him :thumbsup

Hi again guys, well I've been silent cause I've read half of this thread + planned a lot + started working. Just wanted to say this thread is the coolest ever, lots of good ideas and it's awesome to see the progress and of course the results!! It's simply STUNNING!!

Well I should share my own progress for maybe it can help someone as you helped me. I decided to make a 2-part costume: a simple a-symmetric latex dress, and a vinyl vest I've sewn myself by hand (had a free weekend for that... And it's the first cloth I've done from scratch)
On the vest I'll have the disc attached and all the lights.

As for the wires, I decided to go with lighttape, the same one they used for the movie. It happened to be that the company who made it for the movie has a branch in our little country, and viola, it's located a 5 minutes walk from my work!
Actually I'm the only person whom they agreed to sell 3 meters of the material (although many people asked), they only sell big amounts... They simply said they found my project "super cool"!!
The material is VERY expensive. About 200$ for 3m of lighttape plus 50$ for the inverter.

Well, so this is my work so far (the velcro was sent to the seamstress to sew it in, couldn't do it by hand). Tomorrow we're gonna light it up! I'll upload some pictures of course.

By the way, Annisse, you've been a huge help, everything I did was inspired by your costume :) I even used the image you posted with the vest pattern, made it a real size and cut the fabric according to it!! I think you're beautiful and your results are simply amazing :)

P.S. I'm trying to get it as similar to Quorra as I can but it's not a replica. It's too expensive to make the gloves and tights, for e.g. and there is no way in hell that I'm gonna wear a wig, it doesn't suit me.

199234_10150114329892054_658977053_6603515_7216636_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all!

I just got my El Flatlight Panel in from LuminousFilm.com. This is the El Tape that can be bent at 90 degree angles and even in half, just NOT on the scribe line of the panel.

This 4 foot strip will be going on my End of Line Club waitress Concept Art costume in white and transparent latex.

Total with the inverter to drive the EL was $80!

I love how this looks and definately replacing my Quorra lighting on my suit with this stuff for sure! :D

Dig the disc mod :thumbsup

Thanks a lot Soulinertia! Yeah I just took a kevin flynn disc, removed the white LED's and sound board, kept the battery pack and put in pink LEDs I got at radio shack. It was kinda painful in that I had to cut into the factory rubber and dremel out the plastic on top to make the larger LEDs fit, but it looks pretty snazzy when its all finished. Did this for another disc, I'll post it later once I get that costume finished.

As for the disc mount, I bought both the white and black versions of Disk Holder Mount. Perfect application, perfect size, easy to use, good communication from the seller, great product. I used cut down #10 bolts to hold it to the Siren suit, worked great.

Hi all!

I just got my El Flatlight Panel in from LuminousFilm.com. This is the El Tape that can be bent at 90 degree angles and even in half, just NOT on the scribe line of the panel.

This 4 foot strip will be going on my End of Line Club waitress Concept Art costume in white and transparent latex.

Total with the inverter to drive the EL was $80!

I love how this looks and definately replacing my Quorra lighting on my suit with this stuff for sure! :D
Nice! Just got a quote from Patrick at LuminousFilm for some 0.5" and 1" split electrode panel, ETCO clips, and inverters.

I'll be emptying my wallet soon. ;)

Hey, does anyone have any tips for attaching the reflective tape to neoprene? I tried rubber cement but the neoprene stretches about twice the size when worn.

r6d3U.jpg

Hi Everybody!

This is for those interested in doing a Sam Flynn motorcycle jacket. In doing some Internet searches for TRON related stuff, I stumbled across this:

Tron Legacy Movie Jackets | Sam Flynn

I'm not sure how screen accurate it is, as they show an actual image from the movie/set, and not the product itself. It also seems pretty expensive, but I thought I would throw it out there for those of you who might be interested.

By the way, everyone's costumes are looking fantastic! I think all the major Cons this year are going to be overrun with TRON costumes! LOL!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back