Tron Legacy Costume

that's what I'm afraid of thormungandr...I want the extreme green from lighttape.com but even the value of the equipment from glowhut is going to run me close to $200...looks like it's time to fire off an email...

I'm planning on making a CLU robe, but needed a test garment. I found a trenchcoat on eBay for $10 that had a similar look, was tall enough to fit me and looked like a sturdy material. The pics were a bit blurry so I couldn't tell the details, but I figured for $10 I couldn't go wrong.

It arrived today, and it ends up being a RedBalls "Reverand Coat"!! Man this thing is awesome, and it's $150 on the web shop!
TheReverandCoat.jpg
The Reverend Coat

A little more gothic than what I was expecting, but DAMN it looks good. I may just use this for an Original Program jacket and keep looking for a robe to use for CLU.

*Pondering the Possibilities*

I've found working with PVC (and almost always I rely on MJ Trends as having really good PVC) is that I make the suit to be the size of me, without needing any stretch. The stretch is reserved for movement and getting in and out of it. I'm entirely comfortable in a PVC made like that. Obviously it takes time to get a suit to fit you that well without relying on the stretch but it's worth the effort. Same goes for neoprene in my experience. If the neoprene is at all stretched when on it's always putting pressure on you that at best can be uncomfortable and at worst really hurt you. I learned this lesson, as I do with most costuming lessons, the hard way. The wrist area on my Zam undersuit is tight....I was worried about having enough space for the neoprene under the guantlets. But it's tight enough to be slightly stretched and after a couple of hours my fingers start going numb. Suit version 2 will be totally fitted, but not stretched, and I won't have that issue any longer.

And yes....we all wish mdb was closer.....that's a brain I could definitely pick for hours! ;-)

that's what I'm afraid of thormungandr...I want the extreme green from lighttape.com but even the value of the equipment from glowhut is going to run me close to $200...looks like it's time to fire off an email...

one 2 foot long by 1-2 inches wide is over 100 bucks. i think even with glow hut it would be saving money but im sure the tape isnt as good of quality. for me personally its going to be a simple costume with a budget of the same price as one strip of tape from lighttape. besides if i want to change out the lights it wont cost me a fortune

I'm breaking down, and I think I'm gonna do a Gem costume. I just can't resist anymore haha. XD

I think I'm probably gonna start by building the backpack out over whatever I can find and see if stormtrooperguy will let me borrow his vac table. I feel like vacuuformed plastic will both give me the right look and also not be too heavy. Time to go dredge up some ref photos of that.

For my leotard I think I'm gonna stick with EL tape. It'd be nice to not cut corners and go full out with the lighttape but at the end of the day, the EL tape looks good in photos and I'm just not prepared to spend on/engineer that light tape. Though that stuff I might put in the back unit...

EDIT: I'm sort of considering the out-and-about look, too. Raincoat and umbrella and all. Kinda Bladerunner. We'll see though, I have no clue how I'd tackle the raincoat.

Thor, my suspicion exactly: I'm estimating about oh, 25 feet of illumination without the disc border. I'm excited though, I have stumbled upon some frosted PVC static cling film that I bet placed over a line of LEDs will accomplish the perfect diffusion.. the catch is getting something that will pick up the lighting that the film can be applied as well as not weigh me down.

Its starting to sound like the real world applications of these suits are starting to create a desire for more weatherproofing methods of jackets and umbrellas. I myself am planning to have a hip-length hooded jacket with some aural lights in the sleeves/collar and a clear PVC window to let the disc shine through.

thanks so much for the light tape info and sources. if the LED diffusion doesn't work I'll reconsider this path.

cheers and good luck everyone, on your upgrades and initial efforts.

Thor, my suspicion exactly: I'm estimating about oh, 25 feet of illumination without the disc border. I'm excited though, I have stumbled upon some frosted PVC static cling film that I bet placed over a line of LEDs will accomplish the perfect diffusion.. the catch is getting something that will pick up the lighting that the film can be applied as well as not weigh me down.

Its starting to sound like the real world applications of these suits are starting to create a desire for more weatherproofing methods of jackets and umbrellas. I myself am planning to have a hip-length hooded jacket with some aural lights in the sleeves/collar and a clear PVC window to let the disc shine through.

thanks so much for the light tape info and sources. if the LED diffusion doesn't work I'll reconsider this path.

cheers and good luck everyone, on your upgrades and initial efforts.
no problem. whatever works give it a try

Now that the TRON:Legacy release party in NYC has slid on by in December, I was thinking of reworking my TRON suit by switching out my jacket and perhaps some other parts.

Was thinking these newer bits:
64175_H_SH315_MW355.jpg

94218_M_SH155_MW185.jpg

and maybe, if I feel like burning some more cash before a big con..
97546_H_SH315_MW355.jpg

I will be taking the armored pads off of my current mesh suit (with ELWire inside the plates for lighting shining out of the holes in a real old-school Univac sorta look) and adding them as I can to the jacket shown above.
aXZyGmBoQv4cQhZ.jpg

Beyond that, skin tight black Lycra-Spandex zentai suit from head to toe (hands covered as well).
a189ac3249e8f6e5aec2b628b9ebb871.image.300x400.jpg

The whole setup will still be driven by the 12v Sound Inverter as the first suit was. I will be giving up the sleeveless outer coat with the ELWire in the hood and down the inner back side, but might add some ELTape to the jacket shown above. Helm remains as noted below.
163266_174016322630853_100000674587093_414711_3841552_n.jpg

Opinions and suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
Can anyone put up some pictures/tutorial on diffusing (that works) the EL wore like Eddy did but with diagrams? I find his description & photo's hard to follow.

Is the diffusion method thin/flexible enough to be sewn on fabric? I'm considering this for my Clu robe
I have been playing with a 9ft bit of white EL wire and I can't seem to get it to diffuse always shows as a clear line through frosted shower curtain & white card :S, for clothing I am think of using lengths of medical oxygen tubing (thank you work :p) and gluing to fabric and running cable down tubing, that way if breaks or damaged I can pull wire out and put new one in viola!

Hey actordiver where did you buy your lighttape from? thats the shade of green I want for mine. the place i usually buy from the tape kinda is a bluish green

Light Tape® - Bring your imagination to light! sorry guys, not on here as much as I used to be. I see you got the info. Lighttape is pricey and really easy to use. Yes it's pricey, but not 100 per foot, I think it came out to be something like 19 dollars per foot for the 2 inch strips and 15 per 1inch strips. There was a 10 dollar charge per strip for "preparation" so plan your designs so you can cut you own lengths once they've been sealed in the laminate (saves a little money). The inverter will cost you plenty but they are heavy duty and wont blow out (according to them) if you power them by accident without having a light strip attached (I dont recommended testing out the theory) I blew one of my inverters this way on my shin guards (cheaper glow tape). Hope that helps. You can always contact them and ask for a quote. Let them know the ammount you want to light up and they will stear you in the right direction. VERY nice over there and super easy to deal with. However be respectful and have all you ($h*T) together and make their job easy. good luck. :)

Last edited:
Hi everybody, I am new to site. I just started reading this thread, and whoa so many awesome costumes and helpful stuff! I'm glad I found this place. I plan on making a Quorra and Siren costume for conventions later on. I don't have much experience with costume making, but I am willing to learn!

I havn't read through the entire thread yet. But I was wondering does anyone know where to get Quorra style shoes?

Thanks! ^_^

Hi everybody, I am new to site. I just started reading this thread, and whoa so many awesome costumes and helpful stuff! I'm glad I found this place. I plan on making a Quorra and Siren costume for conventions later on. I don't have much experience with costume making, but I am willing to learn!

I havn't read through the entire thread yet. But I was wondering does anyone know where to get Quorra style shoes?

Thanks! ^_^

Hi! If you type in "Black Wedge Boots" in Google, you'll find tons of them! It's just hard sifting through them to find exactly what you want. Victoria's Secret has some awesome ones, but the heel is pretty high and doesn't look comfortable. I ended up buying regular boots and I'm gonna make boot covers for them. But I've been seeing wedges popping up in stores in the past few weeks, I think they're starting to become trendy, so maybe you should go shop around town for them!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back