Tron Legacy Costume

hmm. that's what I figured. I'll give it a test. If I cannot get that to work any recommendations about a good flexable glue.

I second the question on a good flexible glue (that dries somewhat quickly)

Liquid nails works well but it takes forever to dry and since I'm going to be gluing the Light Tape onto my leather jacket next having a good quick drying glue would be very helpful.

Liquid nails works well but it takes forever to dry and since I'm going to be gluing the Light Tape onto my leather jacket next having a good quick drying glue would be very helpful.

Have you tried double sided foam tape? No drying required, sticks pretty good and is flexible to a degree.

Just wanted to add in to the talk about DCAs new ElecTRONica attraction. I went to a cast members preview last night that was postponed from Oct. 6th. All I have to say is WOW! Disney did it again! It is so amazing all the lights, movie projections on the walls, sounds, music, dancing, Laserman light show, 3D tralier of TL, Flynn's arcade 25 cent arcade 80s games, and all the amazing energy and excitement flowing thru the air.

Please if you can, take the time to go experience this. For awhile, I completely forgot I was in Disneyland. It is like you are transported into another electronic world of TRON!

I am so grateful I got to experience this without the massive crowds there. I have seen the Flickr pics online and looks like you can hardly walk down the street on a regular night! It was SOOOOO empty last night but was coo! because we got to experience everything. I even went in my Quorra costume. Ppl thought I was one of the dancers that worked there.... I wish ;) I will post pics when I get them off my boy's camera.

YAY! can't wait to go again this Sunday! I still have the experience pumping thru my veins!

Oh just wanted to add this in so this thread doesn't get steered off into how awesome ElecTRONica is talk :p the actual dancers costumes that worked there. Yeah, not close to what we are trying to achieve with the movie costumes. The Quorra dancers and men programs costumes had the reflective tape going and all but were styled more for mobility so they can do their thang on the GO GO box. The SIREN costumes were very cool. I actually wished I would have gone done that route now and made myself a SIREN costume instead of Quorra. As I can understand the reasoning why they went with the design for the black program costumes, more loosely fit and did not keep with the movie rubber suit design, it was much easier for the SIREN costumed dancers to do their moves on the GO GO box because they are just white spandex suits with reflective FABRIC built in, not tape. Trust me, I stood below one of the girls GO GO boxes as she danced and totally studied the build of her suit up and down ;) I even saw how her disk was attached to her back, with straps held around her arms under her suit and the suit zipped up the back with an invisible zipper. Let's just say because my Quorra costume was made for show, for looks and taking photos, because I danced my arse off last night, it is even more falling apart. I think my chest armour is 70% electrical tape now which I had to put to hold the side seams that kept popping off of me the more I moved around. Darn craft foam is easy to work with, but not durable at all.

Last edited:

Try Aquaseal which is used to repair wetsuits. Its the new way to connect suits so there is no chaffing seams against the body. I think i am going to try that. It probably available at surf shops

Have you tried double sided foam tape? No drying required, sticks pretty good and is flexible to a degree.

Not a bad idea. The only issue is that I have over 200 square inches to cover. I dont think the tape would hold up over time. I've used it before and heat (sweat) makes it unglue.

the actual dancers costumes that worked there. Yeah, not close to what we are trying to achieve with the movie costumes. The Quorra dancers and men programs costumes had the reflective tape going and all but were styled more for mobility so they can do their thang on the GO GO box. The SIREN costumes were very cool. I actually wished I would have gone done that route now and made myself a SIREN costume instead of Quorra. As I can understand the reasoning why they went with the design for the black program costumes, more loosely fit and did not keep with the movie rubber suit design, it was much easier for the SIREN costumed dancers to do their moves on the GO GO box because they are just white spandex suits with reflective FABRIC built in, not tape. Trust me, I stood below one of the girls GO GO boxes as she danced and totally studied the build of her suit up and down ;) I even saw how her disk was attached to her back, with straps held around her arms under her suit and the suit zipped up the back with an invisible zipper. Let's just say because my Quorra costume was made for show, for looks and taking photos, because I danced my arse off last night, it is even more falling apart. I think my chest armour is 70% electrical tape now which I had to put to hold the side seams that kept popping off of me the more I moved around. Darn craft foam is easy to work with, but not durable at all.

i was looking at the costumes as well. they're a combination of stuff you can actually buy that were modified and put together with some tailoring, velcro, and reflective material. most of the main dancers were wearing cw-x perform x tight running pants that go anywhere from $65 to $80+ usd. that's just for the tights. heh.

what tied together in theme/distinguished all the disney staff's tron costumes were the removable identity discs and the back mounts.

edited to add: their approach made practical sense since they were likely on a limited budget with only so much time to make the live actors' suits, but still needed the effect of getting the themed idea across + the ability to perform every night/weekend.

Annisse,
I've been lurking on here a while, and following with interest your costume's development and your upcoming experiment with the glow-in-the-dark paint/reflective tape. I'm itching to put this costume together before an early halloween party on the 22nd, so I was hoping you'd be getting in your paint shipment soon. Any idea when you'll be able to test that out?
Ross

PS: I haven't read through the entire 18 page thread, but I don't think I remember seeing glow-tape mentioned as a possible lighting strategy (e.g. something like this). Would it be worth exploring at all if I'm to be in very low lighting conditions? I'd be fine absconding to the bathroom to charge it up every 30-60 minutes or so with a UV flashlight, as long as it could maintain sufficient brightness for that long.

PPS: This might not have any relevance to TRON per se, but given the general vibe of the outfit and a party setting, what do you all think about integrating something like this (in holographic projector mode--see pics) into the outfit somehow, possibly so that it's facing up so as to be away from directly shining into people's eyes. Maybe a little too much :), but I won't be headbanging so theoretically it won't be moving around too too much.

Last edited:
Dear Members. I found out that my paint for RISKREACTOR isn't in stock. RED COLOR ONLY! I was planning on doing one of CLU'S SENTRY's. I'm going to do the Paint that is water based since that's all they have. I'll keep you posted. For those looking for helmets for your TRON LEGACY costumes try Motorcycle Jackets, Motorcycle Helmets, Gear & Accessories - RevZilla They have some clearence helmets,boots,pants etc. All biker stuff but Tronish. Those looking for cloaks check out ]. You'll love the Goth Renn look & corsets swords etc. Also they have some movie props as well. I love their designs. They also have boots Ren To modern. Enjoy!
By the way Quoora's Chracter uses a helmet. It looks like RINZLERS! Look at museum replicas for body armour. It's less expensive than motrcycle wear. They also have chest pieces as well. All you need is some spray paint & a little imagination. Also they have gloves, short & long. They do make some quality stuff!

Last edited:
I have to second Annisse's recommendation for visiting the elecTRONica section of California Adventure. Besides all the stuff she listed, they have a really nice recreation of Flynn's Arcade complete with the "Home of TRON" neon sign over the TRON cabinet and rows of period arcade games (all working in EXCELLENT order. I've never played a Pac Man cabinet that was so smooth!) lined up in the same fashion as the film. If that weren't cool enough, they have a working, playable Space Paranoids cabinet and for the low price of $1 spent in any of the three token vending machines, you get not one, not two but FOUR of the following...

This thread has been a wealth of information and I'm loving the photos of the in progress and completed costumes!

I've decided to do a Siren costume (I figured everyone was going to do Quorra, so why not do Jem?) and have found someone to make the bodysuit for me. It's going to cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $250-300 to have the suit made. Like most of you, I'm struggling with the logistics of lighting it. While studying the few images of the Siren available, I've noticed that the areas that are lit on her costume appear to be separate or overlaid on the bodysuit. I'm assuming that any wiring is run under the suit or sewn into the seams (because there are a lot of them on that suit). I believe I'm going to try creating the lighting effects using EL sheets. If I've read the tech stuff correctly, they can be "overlaid" to create a continuous lighting effect. (Compass72, I'd love to bend your ear about your experience using the EL sheets.)

Does anyone have any intel on the shoes or boots the Siren wears? It actually looks like shoes, but I can't be sure.

My goal is to have this costume finished by Dragon Con 2011. Wish me luck... I'm going to need it. Haha!

(Compass72, I'd love to bend your ear about your experience using the EL sheets.)

My goal is to have this costume finished by Dragon Con 2011. Wish me luck... I'm going to need it. Haha!

Ask any questions you may have. I would also recommend you contact 'actordiver' for his recent work with EL tape. I've said before EL sheet is great for curved and wider designs where EL tape is better for lengthy and straight patterns.

What's great about the EL sheets is the size of the power packs. They are relatively small, and can operate off of 4 AAA batteries.

Ask any questions you may have. I would also recommend you contact 'actordiver' for his recent work with EL tape. I've said before EL sheet is great for curved and wider designs where EL tape is better for lengthy and straight patterns.

What's great about the EL sheets is the size of the power packs. They are relatively small, and can operate off of 4 AAA batteries.
Most of the lighting on the Siren's costume is curved or angled, with the exception of 5 straight-ish runs (3 on the chest and 2 on the upper, inner-ish thigh). I'd definitely need EL sheets for the lighting on her forearms, shins, and around her identity disk, but if I could figure out how to make the slight angles on her torso and hip area, then I wouldn't be opposed to using EL tape since that is a pretty long run.

I'm curious, have you tried to overlay or daisy-chain the EL sheets yet?

How are people attaching there disks? I have the deluxe toy
I was going to use magnets, but the magnets may interfere with some of the electronics of the disc. I'm using velcro with some faseners. At least I'll feel it if someone is grabbing it.:unsure

How are people attaching there disks? I have the deluxe toy

I got my deluxe last week and this is what I'm doing. I purchased 3 magnets ( the rare earth style VERY strong) I took apart the disk to see if there was room (there is). If you look there is a section that has no electronics thats where the larger disk magnet is going to get glued in, most likely a combination of hot glue, epoxy and I'm going to try out the E6000 (THANKS Soulinertia for the suggestion). Then there are a couple sections where there is very little room (that's where I'm gluing in smaller ones) then I'm using a washer and nut and bolt (cut down so I dont poke myself in the back) and attaching those through my jacket. The magnet will stick to the washer and hence my jacket. I plan on making some sort of plastic or foam mold circle so the disk will rest on it and not rely on the magnets too much.

That way I can take it on and off at will.

I will most likely also add a bit of Velcro for reinforcement. (I like to be a little redundant ;) )

Good luck! Let me know what you decide and/or what works. I still have some other costume stuff to do before I tackle the disk and baton. 18 days and counting!!!!!!

Are the deluxes already in stores? Or did you guys get them online somewhere? I can't wait to get mine, and if they're already in stores then I've been going crazy for nothing. Lol.

just thinking out loud:

I was wondering with the stencils, wouldn't there be an issue with the holes? if you paint the hexagon, there needs to be something masking the inner part. and, if the inner center is masked on the stencil, there would need to be something holding it onto the sheet. this would require more than one pass and maybe rotate the sheet + match the hex pattern & re-spray in order to fill in the gaps from the stencil.

on the same line of thought, if someone was to make a laser-cut stamp-on pattern, it might work.

so, perhaps printing the pattern would be easiest.

interesting also that the motorcycle jacket fabric is using infused silicon for the tron-e-os, but the movie one appears to be fabric ink.

lastly, if the stencils are workable, there's rustoelum reflective spray i've been curious about. one might be able to use to make the custom patterns reflective without the need for tape:
Amazon.com: Rust-Oleum 214944 Reflective 10-Ounce Spray, Reflective: Home Improvement

and, there's black scotchlite reflective tape here for more ideas:
Amazon.com: 3M 79902 Scotchlite Reflective Striping Tape, 1/4-Inch x 50-Foot, Black: Home Improvement

Holes, yep. Definitely would need a little finessing when you were done. maybe one for the shape of the outer and one for the hole that would line up? then the hole could be in black? Also, I'm pretty sure you would have to use paint and not some kind of heat transfer/printing. To make gray, printers just use shades of black. On a black background that dog won't hunt. I like the stamp idea a lot, you would want a stamp shape that would key in easily to be able to align the sections you were stamping probably.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back