Tron Legacy Costume

Left boot is mostly done! I still have to clean up some of the edges around the silicone and add a few more unlit foam panels for an armor-y feel, and put in the zipper up the back. I'm building these around an old pair of plain clear stripper shoes... they were getting worn out so I decided I wouldn't mind tearing into them and trying to fit a battery pack in the platform. :D I have yet to see if that will work; my inverters should come any day now.

If you need any suggested on how to tear into them or battery options, let me know. This is what I worked on today during lunch for a friend's costume. The 2rd pair of clear lighted heels I've done for her. The next set I'll be using rechargeable battery packs.

OrNdX.jpg

If you need any suggested on how to tear into them or battery options, let me know. This is what I worked on today during lunch for a friend's costume. The 2rd pair of clear lighted heels I've done for her. The next set I'll be using rechargeable battery packs.

Those look great! If you could send me basic instructions on how to get inside the platform that would be awesome. I've been debating going in through the insole, the bottom, or the back side of the main platform.

I'm scrapping the boot covers I just made, they look terrible. I do still need to figure out how to get those battery packs in the shoes though!

Hello all! First off thanks for all your help. This forum is truly amazing!
So I have two question for my girlfriend and I's costume.

El tape: I am looking at two main companies:
Large Electroluminescent Panels and Strip Lamps - LED Panels - LUMINOUSFILM.COM --USA
and
EL Wire and Club Lighting Source | Electroluminescent Wire | Club Lasers

Ellumiglow is cheaper, but has anyone ever used them before? I have read the entire forum, but between my memory and the search feature I can't find anyone who has used ellumiglow. I don't mind spending the extra on luminous film (Annisse is correct Patrick there is very helpful, I highly recommend emailing them), but if the ellumiglow is just as good, my student loans would appreciate that option. Thanks!

Lastly after the recent battery discussion, I started to wonder how long my 8xAA battery pack will last with my luminous film setup that I was looking at getting. I have a similar situation (with the same inverter) I believe that Annisse was using (~200 in^2) and I was wondering about how long 8xAA will last? Thanks again for everything!

Quick update on my disc upgrade. I just got a pic from my friends shop. The disc is very smooth and has a bit of a glossy look. Almost like polished black steel. Its not what I intended, but I love it! I think it will look soooo slick reassembled. Ill rebuild it and post pics tonight! Almost ready!!

- Mister Digital

Hello all! First off thanks for all your help. This forum is truly amazing!
So I have two question for my girlfriend and I's costume.

El tape: I am looking at two main companies:
Large Electroluminescent Panels and Strip Lamps - LED Panels - LUMINOUSFILM.COM --USA
and
EL Wire and Club Lighting Source | Electroluminescent Wire | Club Lasers

Ellumiglow is cheaper, but has anyone ever used them before? I have read the entire forum, but between my memory and the search feature I can't find anyone who has used ellumiglow. I don't mind spending the extra on luminous film (Annisse is correct Patrick there is very helpful, I highly recommend emailing them), but if the ellumiglow is just as good, my student loans would appreciate that option. Thanks!

Lastly after the recent battery discussion, I started to wonder how long my 8xAA battery pack will last with my luminous film setup that I was looking at getting. I have a similar situation (with the same inverter) I believe that Annisse was using (~200 in^2) and I was wondering about how long 8xAA will last? Thanks again for everything!

Climberton, I ordered some EL tape from Ellumiglow and it just arrived today. I'll post some pictures tonight so that everyone can see how it looks.

So do yall put packs on each arm as well? I'm trying to figure out how to avoid doing that :/ Any suggestions for wiring the arms would be greatly appreciated! :D

Quick electronics test before I close up access to the EL panels
jacket.jpg

With flash-no pink reflection from EL strip
jacket-f.jpg
Lookin' good! Did you hide your inverter and batteries in the pocket? I was thinking of mounting mine on my belt so I don't have an unsightly pocket bulge.

Lookin' good! Did you hide your inverter and batteries in the pocket? I was thinking of mounting mine on my belt so I don't have an unsightly pocket bulge.

Thanks!

Yes, everything is in the pocket. The pocket is pretty large, so everything winds up more on my side than on my chest and I don't see much of a bulge when the coat is open, but it could just be the way the jacket fits.
---------------------------------------------
Got the final sewing finished tonight.

jacket-finished.jpg

Here is the system of painted layers of clear vinyl I wound up using to hide the EL strip pink color and then compensate for the reflected pink light.

Two layers of transparent white (painted sides facing each other), one transparent blue -very light application (painted side facing up to back of white layer), one clear with clearcoat on both sides to prevent it from sticking to the EL strip or the blue layer and creating a dark spot .

gels.jpg

Here is the electronics diagram for my light disk. I think it is correct, but it has not been tested.

I am using two 1A voltage regulators to get 12VDC from A23 batteries down to the 9VDC required of the circuit.

Click for PDF

Last edited:
hey guys i just recently started working on my Rinzler costume this month. this is what ive got so far. let me know what you think. Feedback's appriciated.

qpfee0.jpg

Anyone else soldering LED strips?

It solders fine, but there is absolutely no flex. The slightest flex attempt and the soldered connection pops off the strip.

Suggestions?

Anyone else soldering LED strips?

It solders fine, but there is absolutely no flex. The slightest flex attempt and the soldered connection pops off the strip.

Suggestions?

I am, but I don't get my shipment until tomorrow. Won't have any info until I start playing with it. Expensive stuff!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back