Tricorder 6 Project

@playskool2000 I don't mind my thread being hijacked by the builder of a beautiful prop! Thanks for coming in, and thanks for the tips. I do rather like the plain stone gray of the early early mkvis, so I'll probably go with that. I may shoot you a private message regarding the ratchet since i think you might be the builder of the tric I posted up.

@exoray Thanks for the PM. I messaged you back on those LEDs.

Still researching and finding parts. I've put together a list of materials and tools needed to build this sucker and I'll post that next.

All your comments and support make me want to keep moving on this!

-Sean

Hey,

This is my all time favourite tricorder. Love the first class prop shown above too.
I have this very tricorder too. I have one with the spring loaded door and also a Roddenberry one which seems slightly different. I have the electronics for it on way to me now.

I am too hunting for help with the mechanical ratchet. I've been trying things out for years now with no luck.

I look forward to seeing this build.

Alex

Hey,

This is my all time favourite tricorder. Love the first class prop shown above too.
I have this very tricorder too. I have one with the spring loaded door and also a Roddenberry one which seems slightly different. I have the electronics for it on way to me now.

I am too hunting for help with the mechanical ratchet. I've been trying things out for years now with no luck.

I look forward to seeing this build.

Alex

I think this and the Mark X medical are the all time best 2 tricorders. If built correctly and with skill they are absolute pieces of art!

John

Hi guys. I promise, this thread and project aren't dead. I'm cursed with being both busy and lazy. So I've done a ton of research and that continues, but the other thing I do when starting one of these is gather materials. I thought I'd share some of my list with you.

Tools:
Bondo and putty fillers
Various grits of sandpaper from course to very fine
Tamiya or other fine masking tape
Clear and white styrene sheet and shapes (assorted)
Epoxy and CA with applicators
Jeweler's files and saw
Hobby knife and blades
Hot glue and gun
Spray adhesive (good stuff)

Electronics:
Besides the kit electronics, here's what I think I'll need:
Additional 2.0x5.0mm red and green LEDs for power meter to replace current rectangular
Normally closed reed switch (if I don't go with the normally closed push button)
Normally closed push button (I think this is what was used on hero trics)
4.5-6volt batteries (rechargables with charging port?)

Paint:
Primer suitable for resin and Krylon
Krylon Stone Gray
Clear coat (gloss)
Cream and red paint for EMRG
Gray for background of recessed front sensor array

Graphics:
New graphics (find a source. Kit graphics not great for lighted tric)
New screen slide (graphics unsuitable)
Blue, orange gels for use in front array

Spring and ratchet:
Assorted brass rod and sheet
Miscellaneous extension springs for testing

Thanks to @playskool2000, I have some idea of how to build the spring. I have a couple of ideas on how to construct the ratchet sound, but it's not going to particularly easy. I think this will require a lot of trial and error.

I've got a bunch of this stuff already, some of it I still need. I pulled together most if not all of the tools from my stash, so now I'm getting the stuff I need to really get started, like the bondo and putties and the spring mechanism bits. If I can assemble that and get it working, then I should be able to proceed with the rest of the build. I'm also considering building a testing bed for the spring so I don't mess with the resin body too much until I'm ready. We'll see.

Fired up the electronics for a bit today and they still work well! The scanner LEDs are dead, though. Not sure why. Will have to replace those if I want a working scanner.

To be honest I think they used a simple sliding switch (like the ones that turned on the electronics for the Playmates Tricorder) for the on/off function and they put it in the Library "button" (the black square part) just underneath the Alpha Beta Gamma and Delta LED's on the Heroes.

Good luck with yoru build :). I can't wait for more updates!

Hey eclipse, thanks for the post.

You might be right. I think I've seen that method. In my reference (or at least most of the screen used ones) it appears that the library record area was a green switch of some kind.

If it was a sliding switch, the question would be whether they turned it on after it sprung open? Can't imagine they did that each time but I guess in early seasons it's possible.

Anyone have more info?

Last edited:
I believe they did, I think there's an episode where Geordi turns it off, "The Naked Now" if I recall correctly, as he's going through the room of the ship (GAH can't think of the name of it) before contracting the drunk disease.

Got a small update. A couple of fellow board members have been great support in finding out a little more about the spring mechanism in the MkVI. If I wanted to simply have the spring activated door, I'd be well underway since it's a rather simple assembly. The ratchet is what's baking my noodle. I've been sketching a lot of possible solutions.

In the mean time, I got some great reference from Alex. Also some materials arrived recently: brass sheet and rod in various sizes and a giant box of small extension and compression springs. I went overboard here, but hey...it was like 8 bucks.
DSC_0166.JPG

Also bought the first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation as reference! I grew up on this show, so it's bringing back a lot of memories:
DSC_0164.JPG

It's been providing a lot of entertainment, and great reference. The scene mentioned by eclipse of Geordi didn't seem to show him turning the tric off, since it was blinking away while it was holstered. But most interestingly I found a scene in "Code of Honor" showing the back of Bev's medical tric. You can see the spring on the right, but WHAT is that piece on the LEFT!? Is that perhaps the actuator for the ratchet sound? Or is it something else? Also notice that the tricorder is on before she opens it.
medTricVICOH.jpg

Research continues!!

I heard that this was the wires as the battery may have been in the door. This tricorder didn't have and LEDs in the door.

I've saw this too in "Angel One" but was lost. Maybe a ratchet or damped hinge?

Alex

hey i am new here i am star trek kid 3 i hope i am doing right being new i could do something wrong a not even know please help. i am looking for a star trek com. a roddenberry are they any out there?

Been a while since I've seen a tricorder... Really quite impressive.
Obviously good work. Saw the video posted by zredthunder. Thanks for that too.

On the hero tricorders, there was a small switch in the library area below the four scrolling LEDS. But, when it was pushed down, it turned off the electronics. When the tricorder flap was opened and the switch was no longer pushed, the electronics turned on. Trust me on this one, my friend has a hero tricorder that I've studied.

Hey,

I've not yet managed to figure out how to recreate the damped opening that the screen used original of this version had.

I will start on this again. There was another guy who was working on one on this thread but I've not seen anything from him in a while..

I hope to see some more updates and any advice on the manual ratchet would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back