Tricorder 6 Project

Jastor00

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all. Allow me to introduce myself as a new member to RPF. I used to spend a lot of time lurking and occasionally posting on Dewback ASAP but recently found RPF and decided to join.

I'm thinking about finally building a MkVI Tricorder kit I've had since about 2005 or 2006. I'm often very busy in the evenings which makes model and prop building time short (very short. It's been a long time), so updates probably won't be all that frequent.

Right now I'm in the research phase. I'll post pics of the kit in the hope that some of you experts might be able to identify the maker. I think I might have bought this from Federation Surplus and the electronics I have are definitely GM Props.

The parts I think I'll need the most help on are the graphics and the ratchet, should I decide to try and tackle it. The graphics are OK, but seem a little crude to be used in a light-up replica.

Take a look:

DSC_0271.JPG

DSC_0272.JPG

DSC_0273.JPG

DSC_0275.JPG

DSC_0276.JPG

PS: There is no spring included with the kit, nor are there holes or a space provided for it. Some brass rod is included to create the latch, I'm guessing.

Looking forward to finally building this thing!

Excellent. Its been a while since a really good Tricorder thread has popped up, so this is welcomed.

Those graphics def. depict the EARLY seasons Mark VI. There was another version of the Mark VI just before the Mark VII that had a little newer graphics that were a bit more exciting.

Here is a shot a screenused Mark VI next to a Mark VII:

typevi-typevii-tricorder-front.jpg

And this is what the latter Mark VI graphics looked like, def. my favorite of the two:

PRP1789_2.png

thegreatgalling: thanks, sir! This looks like a really active an interesting forum. Looking forward to participating!

There are some great threads here with reference photos of trics and I've enjoyed looking at those. The pic you posted from The Art of Star Trek is one of my favorites.

You're right, the graphics with my kit are for the proper version of the tricorder. I'm wondering if anyone makes graphics for this model that might be a little better. This set has visible inkjet droplet marks and doesn't have holes for lighting. The typeface seems a little off too. I'm sure I could make them work, but some look better.

Stapleton's graphics in the first photo in this thread are a good example: http://www.therpf.com/f9/tng-tricorder-evolution-thread-73686/

^ Yes it is Sir!

@Jastor00, the thread you linked is my very favorite thread on the RPF. That was a lot of fun to contribute to and has some great reference photos.

Also, Myron is one of the most stand up guys around here. He's a good guy to direct questions as well and makes the finest kits available.

Thanks for the tip!

Along with finding the proper LEDs to use in the power meter display (which are rounded. The electronics kit has squared off), my biggest obstacle is understanding the real prop's ratchet feature.

ratchetcloseup-1.jpg

That's a closeup of a pic in one of the threads, but I'm pretty sure this is a replica. Anyone know of any resources or info on the real prop's mechanism?

Or, alternately, were there versions of the early season VI's that didn't have the spring door but still had the catch?

The rounded LED's are VERY hard to come by, I suggest just sanding down the square one's you have then give them a coat of gloss in a spray can, ive done that before, works great. I would just leave the lock in place on the side of the door and abandon the bottom spring thing, its not really needed anyway, just my thought.

Im currently doing a Mark VII Medical build, has to be the most complicated tric builds ever, this thing is a beast! But good job so far, cant wait to see more progress, tricorders are my favorite prop!

Here ia a picture of mine and it has Brian Makepeaces electronics installed in it. It has the proper paint/ finish and even hand cut canary yellow paper for each cutout.

2ns8fbs.jpg

2e1w3yr.jpg

16k5ox5.jpg

16jo6x5.jpg

j0k8p2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, it was made to exacting specs and made better than any other of this type I have ever seen...and on top of it all the same electronics as in TNG trics of the period by the same maker inside it all :thumbsup

@silverskyes402 Thanks for the tip on the power LEDs. After some serious searching, I've come up empty and will probably go that route. Not sure I'm ready to give up on the spring yet, though, if anyone has any details on that.

@zredthunder That later MkVI is a real beaut! The craftmanship on the build is exceptional. I hope I can get that close with mine. Is the texture a trick from the metallic flake?

@silverskyes402 Thanks for the tip on the power LEDs. After some serious searching, I've come up empty and will probably go that route. Not sure I'm ready to give up on the spring yet, though, if anyone has any details on that.

@zredthunder That later MkVI is a real beaut! The craftmanship on the build is exceptional. I hope I can get that close with mine. Is the texture a trick from the metallic flake?

Yes, the texture is from the several coats of different paint. Exactly like this later style on TNG would have been made for the show.

John

Sorry to hijack briefly, but OMG! zredthunder, that's my build!! I feel like I'm being reunited with one of my long lost children. At first, I looked at it and thought to myself "man, that's nice. I wish I still had mine. :lol

I see you even got a plaque made for it. Pretty spiffy.

There's one detail on that tricorder that's done on the screen-used trics but I've never seen on any other replica and that's the little faux LED bar decal on the hand scanner. Most replicas nowadays just have a printed inkjet graphic. But back when the tricorders were made for the show, that little detail was xeroxed on a piece of neon green paper. I did the same thing to get that subtle little bit of green paper showing through the ink.

Anyway, glad to know if went to a good home.

Also, the texture in the photograph is due to 2 things. First, the dusting of silver over the Krylon Stone gray gloss. (But the first season Mark VI's only used Stone gray with no silver, so for your tric, Jastor00, you can just do the gray). Second, there's a satin clear coat over the whole thing, which is what those later Mark VI's had. The real props actually used a satin polyurethane, but that seriously yellows over time and with exposure to sunlight. So I used an acrylic clearcoat on mine so that wouldn't happen.

Also, the texture in the photograph is due to 2 things. First, the dusting of silver over the Krylon Stone gray gloss. (But the first season Mark VI's only used Stone gray with no silver, so for your tric, Jastor00, you can just do the gray). Second, there's a satin clear coat over the whole thing, which is what those later Mark VI's had. The real props actually used a satin polyurethane, but that seriously yellows over time and with exposure to sunlight. So I used an acrylic clearcoat on mine so that wouldn't happen.

Hey Ryan, I talked this tricorder up on another forum...big time and even mentioned your name. Here I kind of hijacked the thread so I didnt go into details. I still to this day regret not purchasing the med tricorder you had up as well. I would absolutely pay you to do another if you ever feel motivated or you want to sell any of your TOS stuff you kept. I promise I am your biggest fan!!! I love this thing. On TPZ I won prop of the month for it and got praise beyond belief...you have talent my friend! Let me know if you ever decide to start building again.

John

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back