Tricorder (Mark VI) Question

13doctorwho

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am in the process of modeling and building the three distinct science tricorders from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

I have done the Mark VII and the second Mark VI. The second Mark VI is a lot like the Mark VII, except that it retains the removable hand probe and has a smaller sensor head.

Right now I'm working on the first season Mark VI. This one is very different. These were obviously hand made... nothing is straight, the text on the graphics looks to be dry transfers, etc.

I need some opinions. Here is my question... do I duplicate the wonky text and hand cut holes for the LEDs or do I "clean it up"? I'm of two minds. On the one hand, coping the idiosyncrasies would be more accurate to the real props... on the other hand, these are supposed to be Star Fleet issue mass produced equipment. That makes me think they would be as precise as the latter props.

I know there isn't a right or wrong answer, I'm just curious for some opinions to help me think it through. Thank you.

I would think it depends on what you intend on doing with the model - is it just a one-off for you or do you intend on selling them?

If it’s for you - do what you prefer!

If you’re going to sell them, I’d probably opt for the cleaner version as it would be easier to manufacture.

Sean

These are some good thoughts. It's just for me, so I'm not worried about producing large quantities. I could make graphics for both versions. For the most part the controls are just stickers. It would be easy to make an ideal and an accurate version in photoshop.

Thank you for the input!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back